Leafs in

Game 1 Thursday, April 12th Leafs vs Bruins 7 pm et CBC

Game 2 Saturday, April 14th Leafs vs Bruins 8 pm et CBC, OMNI

Game 3 Monday, April 16th Bruins vs Leafs 7 pm et CBC

Game 4 Thursday, April 19th Bruins vs Leafs 7 pm et CBC

Game 5 Saturday, April 21st Leafs vs Bruins *TBD CBC, OMNI

Game 6 Monday, April 23rd Bruins vs Leafs *TBD CBC

Game 7 Leafs vs Bruins Wednesday, April 25th *TBD CBC

These are clearly not the two same teams from 5 years ago but the Bruins play the exact same kind of hockey which makes it petrifying and easy to think back on our last matchup. They rely on the low scoring affairs and stellar defensive/goaltending they always have to keep it close. You can jump out to a lead against them, they can start out slow but they then turn it up to a completely different level. They even did it last night against Florida completely dominating the third period. 26 shots on goal compared to Florida's 6... That is the kind of stuff that will truly test us because we've shown that keeping leads isn't necessarily our strongest trait.

They are battling a bunch of injuries and are clearly on a bit of a cold streak coming into the playoffs which is better for us. We will need a spectacular showing from Freddy here. I'm already nervous lol.

Wait...the Leafs are in the playoffs...how did this happen?
    This is probably the worst match up the Leafs could have been handed, as BOS is tailor-made for playoff hockey. Boston is physical, they can skate with the Leafs, they can score with them, they defend, and they have that been-there-before factor.

The ONLY area that the Leafs would possibly score higher in this match-up would be coaching, and that's debatable the way Cassidy has guided this team through all the injuries and suspensions. I would clearly take Rask over Freddie in a series...hands-down the BOS dmen over the Leafs...and the offense is a wash.

In a playoff environment, I'll take Bergeron, right now, over Matthews ALL day due to his ability to score, win 60% of faceoffs and shut down ANYONE. I'd take Marchand over Marner or Nylander due to his ability to outscore either of them AND smack them in the mouth.

If it comes down to special teams, which you can't anticipate, then it's a wash...top 4 PK vs. top 4 PP.

By the numbers of possession play, physical play, shots allowed vs attempted, quality chances allowed...there's little chance for the Leafs. However, you still have to play the games, and anything can happen with a cheap call or non-call, big PK kill...those kinds of non-analytical factors.

In saying that though, I have to go with my head vs. my heart...Boston in 6 (I was gonna say 5, but I think the Leafs steal game 1...lose the next 3, win game 5, and lose game 6...yes...2 wins in BOS and shutout @ home).

Key to this series is the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak Line. Keep Kadri against them 5 on 5 and you should win the series. Matthews or the Bozak line is a bad matchup. We can use the 4th occasionally against them but i just hope Babs doesn't fall in love with putting Leo against them again.

Matthews is going to take over.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

The Bergeron line will be all over Matthews during those games in Boston. The Kadri/Marner/Marleau line is a huge x factor.

Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    The Bergeron line will be all over Matthews during those games in Boston. The Kadri/Marner/Marleau line is a huge x factor.
    Home ice is huge in this series. As long as you take 1 of the first 2, you get 3 of the next 4 at home.

Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Key to this series is the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak Line. Keep Kadri against them 5 on 5 and you should win the series. Matthews or the Bozak line is a bad matchup. We can use the 4th occasionally against them but i just hope Babs doesn't fall in love with putting Leo against them again.
    I disagree. Marchand really hates Plekanec and we know what Leo does to the opposition. I think we win the series by playing the 4th line against Marchand and have our top-3 lines expose the Bruins depth. Force the Bruins to play on their toes. Kadri's line or Plekanec's line, it doesn't matter, Bergeron's line will score their goals. I think Leo-Plekanec-Kapanen agitating that line is the best way to attack the Bruins, especially over a 7 game series. Kadri has been on the ice for 8 5on5 goals against the Bruins this year, mostly against that line.

In a 7 game series, i'd rather Plekanec and Leo on Marchand because they are somewhat physical or get under opponents skin, even Kapanen throws a hit or two when he's mad. Marleau and Marner are not physical at all. I think Kadri's line is better suited for Krejci.

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    I disagree. Marchand really hates Plekanec and we know what Leo does to the opposition. I think we win the series by playing the 4th line against Marchand and have our top-3 lines expose the Bruins depth. Force the Bruins to play on their toes. Kadri's line or Plekanec's line, it doesn't matter, Bergeron's line will score their goals. I think Leo-Plekanec-Kapanen agitating that line is the best way to attack the Bruins, especially over a 7 game series. Kadri has been on the ice for 8 5on5 goals against the Bruins this year, mostly against that line.

In a 7 game series, i'd rather Plekanec and Leo on Marchand because they are somewhat physical or get under opponents skin, even Kapanen throws a hit or two when he's mad. Marleau and Marner are not physical at all. I think Kadri's line is better suited for Krejci.
    The problem is that Leo can't keep up with Marchand. left him wide open twice for goals the last time we played them. Leafs had the last change on home ice and that matchup got burnt big time. Its fine for a shift or two, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather have the better players trying to keep them off the score sheet.

we still have 3 better lines than them after that.

Yeah I gotta lean towards our scoring depth in this matchup. Let them send the march-berg line at Matthews. Who's going to slow down the rest of our team?

Really though... It's the NHL playoffs and it will come down to goaltending. Personally I put task and Andersen on the same level (this season) so who knows. Such a game changer knowing we have Matthews. Remember that crazy bounce for the break out goal against Washington? Many other guys wouldn't have the composure or speed to close the deal there.

Physicality vs speed = pp opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post

Interesting proposal...could be an effective strategy.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast