Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 445 of 563 FirstFirst ... 345395435443444445446447455495545 ... LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,675 of 8435

Thread: Bias in media

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Singapore, 60,000 cases, 29 deaths.

Taiwan population 25 million, cases 935.

There's a lot of numbers that probably dont make sense, it's an epidemic, it's hard to immediately establish a bar across the board, it's hard to accurately identify things many times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The problem is the lack of consistency with the rest of the world. Many other countries of smaller populations and similar mitigation techniques are still reporting 100s and thousands of cases a day. Deaths in those numbers as well. It just doesn't fly, especially in China's case because they have the biggest population in the world and the outbreak started there. Not to mention, China has huge metropolises where the virus can spread very quickly.

Maybe you need to convince yourself but you're not convincing anyone else here, especially given the reputation China has with human rights, the governmental control on media, etc. Perception to the rest of the world is very important to those in a communist state. Look at the USSR for all the years it existed. Meanwhile, those perceptions are usually very far from reality.

Singapore, 60,000 cases, 29 deaths.

Taiwan population 25 million, cases 935.

There's a lot of numbers that probably dont make sense, it's an epidemic, it's hard to immediately establish a bar across the board, it's hard to accurately identify things many times.

....yet it's so easy for you to always give China the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The problem is the lack of consistency with the rest of the world. Many other countries of smaller populations and similar mitigation techniques are still reporting 100s and thousands of cases a day. Deaths in those numbers as well. It just doesn't fly, especially in China's case because they have the biggest population in the world and the outbreak started there. Not to mention, China has huge metropolises where the virus can spread very quickly.

Maybe you need to convince yourself but you're not convincing anyone else here, especially given the reputation China has with human rights, the governmental control on media, etc. Perception to the rest of the world is very important to those in a communist state. Look at the USSR for all the years it existed. Meanwhile, those perceptions are usually very far from reality.
    There's nothing to convince anyone of. The numbers in of themself do not reflect the claim that they are lying. This is what I said from the beginning when people were just casually saying china is lying about their numbers like it's a fact. For it to be taken as such, it must be demonstrated as such.

For example, if chinas reported numbers said they first had cases in August, they took no precautions and they started having outbreaks 5 months later in january, then you can point at the numbers and say they are lying because everyone else's numbers showed approx a 2 month lag. But that wasnt the case, reality is their numbers were spot on with everyone else's.

Yes having such low numbers sounds suspicious, maybe they are lying, but at the same time, strictly from a science perspective, they've certainly responded in a way that could lead to eradication. They would spray disinfectant on every street twice a day, every day. Their streets were cleaner than our gyms. Just think about it.

In like Feb or march they already required every citizen download an app, that app had contact tracing software and basically rated every citizen into categories of risk factor. Everywhere they went in the city they had to scan their app and certain places were off limits to certain risk factor categories.

You cant just ignore how heavy a response they had and just say oh, they're numbers are too low, they must be lying.

Really the biggest thing against them is your second paragraph, yes, they're pretty ****in nuts. But that's a whole diff category of evidence compared to actual numbers or data to suggest they are lying. That's not to say those arguments hold NO weight, but definitely nowhere near as much how people were talking about it.

Last edited by nastynice; 02-11-2021 at 05:43 AM.

There's nothing to convince anyone of. The numbers in of themself do not reflect the claim that they are lying. This is what I said from the beginning when people were just casually saying china is lying about their numbers like it's a fact. For it to be taken as such, it must be demonstrated as such.

For example, if chinas reported numbers said they first had cases in August, they took no precautions and they started having outbreaks 5 months later in january, then you can point at the numbers and say they are lying because everyone else's numbers showed approx a 2 month lag. But that wasnt the case, reality is their numbers were spot on with everyone else's.

Yes having such low numbers sounds suspicious, maybe they are lying, but at the same time, strictly from a science perspective, they've certainly responded in a way that could lead to eradication. They would spray disinfectant on every street twice a day, every day. Their streets were cleaner than our gyms. Just think about it.

In like Feb or march they already required every citizen download an app, that app had contact tracing software and basically rated every citizen into categories of risk factor. Everywhere they went in the city they had to scan their app and certain places were off limits to certain risk factor categories.

You cant just ignore how heavy a response they had and just say oh, they're numbers are too low, they must be lying.

Really the biggest thing against them is your second paragraph, yes, they're pretty ****in nuts. But that's a whole diff category of evidence compared to actual numbers or data to suggest they are lying. That's not to say those arguments hold NO weight, but definitely nowhere near as much how people were talking about it.

No one is buying that a mainland country as big as China has had no COVID deaths in 9 months. If you can't understand why that would make others question China's credibility then I don't know what to tell you. China's reputation is far from sterling, specifically their handling of the virus from the very onset.

Write whatever long form essay you need to that will inevitably defend the Chinese government and their media but you're the only one here who believes it.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-11-2021 at 06:35 AM.

Government controlled media also told citizens of the USSR that reactor 4 at Chernobyl (3 days after its explosion) wasn't on fire, had little to no damage while it was giving off radiation levels that were over a million times more than normal. Residents of Pripyat were told "Don't worry. You'll be away for 3 days and we'll sort this all out and then you can come right back. I mean, come on. We're the Soviet authorities, would we lie to you?" as they were carried off in buses.

I understand China is not Soviet Russia but communistic governments have a long history of controlling the media and painting a picture that is almost never critical of the country they report on, even in cases where something major happened under their watch.

Chernobyl's official death toll from the accident? 31. Yeah, sounds familiar.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-11-2021 at 07:13 AM.

No one is buying that a mainland country as big as China has had no COVID deaths in 9 months. If you can't understand why that would make others question China's credibility then I don't know what to tell you. China's reputation is far from sterling, specifically their handling of the virus from the very onset.

Write whatever long form essay you need to that will inevitably defend the Chinese government and their media but you're the only one here who believes it.
    Sure, you can question it, that's fine. I never said dont question it. Did I not just agree it sounds suspicious a few posts earlier?

Last edited by nastynice; 02-11-2021 at 07:34 AM.

Sure, you can question it, that's fine. I never said dont question it. Did I not just agree it sounds suspicious a few posts earlier?
    Do you believe China’s numbers are legit?

Is the sky blue?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Do you believe China’s numbers are legit?
    I dont know I guess so, I haven't seen anything to suggest they aren't.

Do you believe taiwan and Singapore's numbers are legit?

Last edited by nastynice; 02-11-2021 at 03:10 PM.

I dont know I guess so, I haven't seen anything to suggest they aren't.

Do you believe taiwan and Singapore's numbers are legit?

You do realize this destroys any credibility you will have any time you reference China then, right? I guarantee you are the only on this forum who believes China's official totals on COVID cases and deaths.

You do realize this destroys any credibility you will have any time you reference China then, right? I guarantee you are the only on this forum who believes China's official totals on COVID cases and deaths.
    It's not really anything I concern myself with, same way I dont concern myself with Singapore's or.taiwans. All I know is the claim that they are lying is not based on any actual evidence, it's based on their bad track record. Which is ok, but people should be aware of such.

It's not really anything I concern myself with, same way I dont concern myself with Singapore's or.taiwans. All I know is the claim that they are lying is not based on any actual evidence, it's based on their bad track record. Which is ok, but people should be aware of such.

You can't prove it because China controls the information that is released to their people and the rest of the world. You do understand how those two things married to each other are quite concerning, right? That's a huge conflict of interest. You have a government who was not forthcoming with the virus (amongst other things) who then directs what everyone is allowed to hear about said virus.

This isn't just about China's bad reputation. Its about what the rest of the world is seeing in terms of deaths and cases and how their totals just don't line up.

You can't prove it because China controls the information that is released to their people and the rest of the world. You do understand how those two things married to each other are quite concerning, right? That's a huge conflict of interest. You have a government who was not forthcoming with the virus (amongst other things) who then directs what everyone is allowed to hear about said virus.

This isn't just about China's bad reputation. Its about what the rest of the world is seeing in terms of deaths and cases and how their totals just don't line up.
    What doesn't line up?

In America when we first locked down, the growth curve drastically changed course. That's science. It's not magic or a conspiracy, it's a direct result of us locking down the economy.

Chinas numbers are low, yes, but when you look at what their response has been, their numbers seem to be a direct result of their actions. This is science, not conspiracy.

nasty is okay with journalists being imprisoned and death counts being fudged to protect China's reputation. Business as usual in his mind. No different than CNN or FOX News.