Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 153 of 159 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 2379

Thread: Bias in media

  1. #2281
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    90,673
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    That doesn’t mean they’re wrong.

    There was a time in this country when someone could finish high school, work and apply themselves to earn a decent life. When neighbors helped each other and cared for each other.

    Obviously, the country has come a long way in advancement against racism and sexism but there’s no reason to believe the American ideals from the 40s and 50s couldn’t exist without those advancements, unless, of course, one is racist.
    Those same neighbors that you claim helped each other also posted “coloreds need not apply”. Please take the phony sentimentality about the “good old days” and match it with the facts.

  2. #2282
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28,842
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    MAGA is not racist. When referring to how America was once great, no one is referring to the time period during slavery. In fact, I don’t believe anyone thinks the time period leading up to the Civil War was great. Mostly, people are referring to the idea of America, which many hold as great. As far as timeframes, it’s most likely the period between 1940-1950 to which Trump is referring. Trump was not trying to persuade people based on their racist hopes and dreams. He was banking on nostalgia. Most people believe the world (not just America) was better when they were kids because they probably didn’t have major responsibilities like they do as an adult. Just look at movies and tv shows that come around after so many years. Saying MAGA is racist is like saying Star Wars is racist.

    I agree Trumps plan with Muslim countries was a bit too far but it wasn’t racist or bigoted. It was a means to an end solution. As a CEO, he took a pragmatic approach to a complicated issue. The same with building a wall. When Trump says that “bad people” are attempting to cross the border, he’s not wrong. We just can’t change our fundamentals because of it.
    I understand your opinion is that's not bigoted, bit the english language says your opinion is incorrect.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  3. #2283
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28,842
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    He’s saying your statement lacks context. Per capita, your statement is false and it’s not even close. It would be like saying “Among white people, white people commit the most crimes.” Obviously, I went a bit further in that statement but I hope you get the point. It’s actually a foolish point for you to make as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    do you not understand population. I bet in predominately Muslim countries that Muslims commit the most crime. not because they are Muslim, because there are significantly more of them. it's the same thing in America. any crime that white is the higher number could have absolutely nothing to do with their race.
    I never said whites commit the highest crime per capita, I just highest, as in total number.

    Dont add your words to my post and then attack it, lol

    Regardless, would that be racist or no? Applying particular law to only whites. You said doing it to muslims is not bigoted, so then applying certain laws to whites only isnt racist then? What about applying certain laws to only blacks? Racist?

    I just want to understand your motivation for saying what trump did wasn't bigoted..floating the idea and then attempting to ban muslims is bigoted, but you're somehow denying this, I'm curious what's your thought process..
    Last edited by nastynice; 12-02-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  4. #2284
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28,842
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    That doesn’t mean they’re wrong.

    There was a time in this country when someone could finish high school, work and apply themselves to earn a decent life. When neighbors helped each other and cared for each other.

    Obviously, the country has come a long way in advancement against racism and sexism but there’s no reason to believe the American ideals from the 40s and 50s couldn’t exist without those advancements, unless, of course, one is racist.
    Yes, the same time you guys had your own fountains.

    You understand that if an entire demographic of people is being eaten off of, the other demographic will have extra food on their plate..
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  5. #2285
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,523
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Those same neighbors that you claim helped each other also posted “coloreds need not apply”. Please take the phony sentimentality about the “good old days” and match it with the facts.
    Do you not think neighborhoods used to be more closely associated within themselves than they are now overall? They were not integrated that's true, but what broke it down is more changing priorities and the distance people work from home than race. And one need not go back to the 50s to see that the neighborhood is changing ... the 80s to now has significant changes too. We are a much more isolated and cynical society than we used to be not too long ago.

    That said, I don't think Trump actually cares about any of that, nor has any idea that will make anything better.

  6. #2286
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,893
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Didn't you dismissed the idea that things have gotten harder for the middle class b/c in we now have cell phones, the internet, etc?
    Technology has had both a positive and negative impact in our lives. We have more expenses in 2019 than in 1940 because we want them, not because we need them.







    Philadelphia 76ers

    2014 Orlando Summer League Champions!

  7. #2287
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,893
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I never said whites commit the highest crime per capita, I just highest, as in total number.

    Dont add your words to my post and then attack it, lol

    Regardless, would that be racist or no? Applying particular law to only whites. You said doing it to muslims is not bigoted, so then applying certain laws to whites only isnt racist then? What about applying certain laws to only blacks? Racist?

    I just want to understand your motivation for saying what trump did wasn't bigoted..floating the idea and then attempting to ban muslims is bigoted, but you're somehow denying this, I'm curious what's your thought process..
    I know. I’m saying your argument is flawed because since white people make up the majority, they should commit the most crimes.

    Theres a difference between stopping every Muslim from entering the country and Muslims/people from specific countries, especially those with ties to terrorism.

    When we speak about crime statistics it’s odd to me that no one ever points out that most violent crimes are committed by someone as the same race as the victim. Also, specific violent crimes typically fall to one specific race or the other. For instance, gang related killings are typically committed by black males. But violent crimes like child rape and murder are typically committed by white people. However, when someone is found guilty of a sex crimes, especially against children, they are made to register on a list as a sex offender. White parents are the first ones to know how many sex offenders live near them to protect their children. Obviously I’m off on a bit of a tangent here but I would be willing to bet that there are more white registered sex offenders than white people per capita. The motivation behind this is to try and stop (typically white) offenders from committing these crimes. I’m not justifying the sex offender registry for or against, just give you insight into why these laws exist and how some disproportionately impact white ppl and most are fine with it.

  8. #2288
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,893
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Those same neighbors that you claim helped each other also posted “coloreds need not apply”. Please take the phony sentimentality about the “good old days” and match it with the facts.
    That’s where you are wrong. Yes, some people did those things but others didn’t and again I’ll ask....

    Why is it that the greatness of America can’t exist without racism and sexism? IMO, If America tried to go back to the “good ole days” with the same racism and sexism, the country would cease to exist because women and minorities contribute far too much positive in society. That’s what MAGA means for most.

  9. #2289
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,893
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Yes, the same time you guys had your own fountains.

    You understand that if an entire demographic of people is being eaten off of, the other demographic will have extra food on their plate..
    Are you talking about race or class now? The idea behind America was that if you work hard and put in effort you can make a decent living for yourself. That idea no longer exists for multiple reasons. I’m not sure if the idea can exist again but it’s worth striving for. Why would you disagree?

  10. #2290
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    12,201
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Those same neighbors that you claim helped each other also posted “coloreds need not apply”. Please take the phony sentimentality about the “good old days” and match it with the facts.
    There was definitely more pride in community back then. Could link it to religion, where more people went to church. You could link it to just the way communication was.

    A good example I think of is you used to park your car, have to physically walk up the driveway to your door, and on the way, say hi to your neighbor who was doing the same. Nowadays, you pull into your garage, and avoid it. Just the initiation of the communication was easy and it shouldn't be downplayed how important it is to developing relationships with your neighbors. Like just the way we live discourages interaction, which is ironic living in a time where communication has never been easier (digitally).


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  11. #2291
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hell on Earth- Missouri
    Posts
    12,996
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    There was definitely more pride in community back then. Could link it to religion, where more people went to church. You could link it to just the way communication was.

    A good example I think of is you used to park your car, have to physically walk up the driveway to your door, and on the way, say hi to your neighbor who was doing the same. Nowadays, you pull into your garage, and avoid it. Just the initiation of the communication was easy and it shouldn't be downplayed how important it is to developing relationships with your neighbors. Like just the way we live discourages interaction.
    Garages aren't a 2000's thing. I'm 48 and I've never lived in a house that didn't have a garage. The quantity of garages have nothing to do with the simple disregard for humanity and decency we have these days.

    People are angry, annoyed and self centered. Whether they park on the street or in a garage has absolutely zero bearing on it.

    The outspoken people these days are self serving *******s and that is why people don't trust people, and therefore don't interact like they used to.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

  12. #2292
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    12,201
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Garages aren't a 2000's thing. I'm 48 and I've never lived in a house that didn't have a garage. The quantity of garages have nothing to do with the simple disregard for humanity and decency we have these days.

    People are angry, annoyed and self centered. Whether they park on the street or in a garage has absolutely zero bearing on it.

    The outspoken people these days are self serving *******s and that is why people don't trust people, and therefore don't interact like they used to.
    It was just an example big shooter.


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  13. #2293
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28,842
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    I know. I’m saying your argument is flawed because since white people make up the majority, they should commit the most crimes.

    Theres a difference between stopping every Muslim from entering the country and Muslims/people from specific countries, especially those with ties to terrorism.

    When we speak about crime statistics it’s odd to me that no one ever points out that most violent crimes are committed by someone as the same race as the victim. Also, specific violent crimes typically fall to one specific race or the other. For instance, gang related killings are typically committed by black males. But violent crimes like child rape and murder are typically committed by white people. However, when someone is found guilty of a sex crimes, especially against children, they are made to register on a list as a sex offender. White parents are the first ones to know how many sex offenders live near them to protect their children. Obviously I’m off on a bit of a tangent here but I would be willing to bet that there are more white registered sex offenders than white people per capita. The motivation behind this is to try and stop (typically white) offenders from committing these crimes. I’m not justifying the sex offender registry for or against, just give you insight into why these laws exist and how some disproportionately impact white ppl and most are fine with it.
    I know whites are most prevalent and so its expected they commit the highest total number of crimes, that's why I said what I said.

    I am saying that the idea that trump floated, in which he mentioned banning ALL muslims, no matter what nationality other than US. I'm saying THAT is bigoted. Him saying that and then trying to enact it is a bigot move on his part. I understand that's not the law he enacted, but I'm talking about his rhetoric, his words and ideas. They are bigoted. His attempt to pass that law is bigoted.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  14. #2294
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28,842
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Are you talking about race or class now? The idea behind America was that if you work hard and put in effort you can make a decent living for yourself. That idea no longer exists for multiple reasons. I’m not sure if the idea can exist again but it’s worth striving for. Why would you disagree?
    Well what I mean is the good old days are very dependent on who's lens you view it from. In the 60's blacks were segregated and had inferior resources. Maybe that suppression is why the good old days were the good old days. When you have an oppressed population there is more food for everyone else's plate
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  15. #2295
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,893
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I know whites are most prevalent and so its expected they commit the highest total number of crimes, that's why I said what I said.

    I am saying that the idea that trump floated, in which he mentioned banning ALL muslims, no matter what nationality other than US. I'm saying THAT is bigoted. Him saying that and then trying to enact it is a bigot move on his part. I understand that's not the law he enacted, but I'm talking about his rhetoric, his words and ideas. They are bigoted. His attempt to pass that law is bigoted.
    It’s not bigoted as much as it is a mean to an end. It’s like stop and frisk. It’s a means to an end solution to the problem of violent crime. In some minds, it’s like banning all firearms. It’s a step too far in sacrificing our freedoms for safety.

    The sad reality is that Muslim terrorists were responsible for 9/11. (Please spear me the “they didn’t do it debate). It’s not what this debate is about. In Trumps mind, the way to ensure that doesn’t happen again is by stopping Muslims from countries with terrorist ties from entering the US. I think I may have mentioned this at the time Trump was elected but my gf during that period was Muslim and lived in Singapore. We had plans for her to visit the US but things didn’t work out. My point is, both of us were paying close attention to Trumps ideas. And at no time did we feel she’d be in danger of not being able to enter the US.







    Philadelphia 76ers

    2014 Orlando Summer League Champions!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •