Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 335 of 357 FirstFirst ... 235285325333334335336337345 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,025 of 5355

Thread: Bias in media

The media is the absolute worst.

Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    The media is the absolute worst.

That's pretty funny. MSNBC and CNBC ... if they work together they can revive the slogan "fair and balanced".

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Now compared to any time in the last 20 years.

Print News, TV news, Internet news, TV shows, movies, magazines.
    I really only think we feel that media is more bias because we've had people consistently highlight it. Sure, we see more of it everyday because of cable news, but I dont know that its any more or less prevalent than it's always been. I think the romanticized version of the straight shooting, only the facts, newsman belongs right next to the noble gunslinging sheriff of the west. We are far worse at qualifying information that we used to be, but we are also exposed to much more media than we've been before.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/us/pr...ers/index.html

has anyone seen media/people with the media saying this for protests for the murder of George Floyd??

I certainly haven't seen this narrative, that mattered then but not so much now.

the known Liberal media was more against legal protesting when it came to protesting against the lockdowns. protests that as far as I remember never turned into rioting.
    I have begun replacing the word media with boogeyman when I read your posts... so much more entertaining.

has anyone seen the boogeyman with the boogeyman saying this for protests for the murder of George Floyd??

the known Liberal boogeyman was more against legal protesting when it came to protesting against the lockdowns. protests that as far as I remember never turned into rioting.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    actually people do, which is why there have been stories (plural) about.

anyone that doesn't care if the media is biased is part of the problem.
    actually people do, which is why there have been stories (plural) about.

anyone that doesn't care if the boogeyman is biased is part of the problem.

See so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    I really only think we feel that media is more bias because we've had people consistently highlight it. Sure, we see more of it everyday because of cable news, but I dont know that its any more or less prevalent than it's always been. I think the romanticized version of the straight shooting, only the facts, newsman belongs right next to the noble gunslinging sheriff of the west. We are far worse at qualifying information that we used to be, but we are also exposed to much more media than we've been before.
    I think the fundamental structure of journalism has changed where editorial opinion is less separated and with the numbers available real time to the people programming the TV and web sites there is even more pressure to hot takes and extreme news. And if your audience is a little left of center then you will get more ratings when you are left of center, if your audience goes further left of center then the more your content responds by following/leading them out there. The same is true of right of center.

Another thing is the ticker and headlines which are not written by traditional journalists, but by marketing people with the stated intent to get people to follow the story. And headlines are often far more biased than the story itself is, and sometimes straight up wrong. I saw one recently about a county shutting down after opening up "too fast" according to the headline, except the last paragraph of the story said that it never happened. What actually happened was that they had a meeting about slowing down the phases of the opening and decided not to change the schedule, but the headline screams that they made a mistake to open up and have reversed course ... a lie.

Another thing we've learned over the years is that the vast majority of people don't read beyond the first paragraph of a story, so editors will move all of the parts of the story that feeds their chosen audience into that first paragraph and push any facts that put those positions in more of a grey area later in the story, so the reader gets only part of the story because the editors know readers are lazy like that.

So, someone reads an AP story and googles some key terms, get to a CNN story, then click on some links on the right side of the screen as they go and the algorithm feeds them more extreme versions of what they've been reading, then they google something else and it sends them to a show on MSNBC that has a reporter from Vox, etc. Or someone goes from AP to Fox to Daily Caller to Breitbart.

And Facebook and Twitter and Youtube feed down that road even faster.

No bias at all. They are trying to divide everyone on every subject and make us all hate each other. Now they got as all afraid of each other as well. They see no color no political affiliation no class. They just want to make it easier for the government to control

And frankly they are doing a good job at it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    One More Time

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think the fundamental structure of journalism has changed where editorial opinion is less separated and with the numbers available real time to the people programming the TV and web sites there is even more pressure to hot takes and extreme news. And if your audience is a little left of center then you will get more ratings when you are left of center, if your audience goes further left of center then the more your content responds by following/leading them out there. The same is true of right of center.

Another thing is the ticker and headlines which are not written by traditional journalists, but by marketing people with the stated intent to get people to follow the story. And headlines are often far more biased than the story itself is, and sometimes straight up wrong. I saw one recently about a county shutting down after opening up "too fast" according to the headline, except the last paragraph of the story said that it never happened. What actually happened was that they had a meeting about slowing down the phases of the opening and decided not to change the schedule, but the headline screams that they made a mistake to open up and have reversed course ... a lie.

Another thing we've learned over the years is that the vast majority of people don't read beyond the first paragraph of a story, so editors will move all of the parts of the story that feeds their chosen audience into that first paragraph and push any facts that put those positions in more of a grey area later in the story, so the reader gets only part of the story because the editors know readers are lazy like that.

So, someone reads an AP story and googles some key terms, get to a CNN story, then click on some links on the right side of the screen as they go and the algorithm feeds them more extreme versions of what they've been reading, then they google something else and it sends them to a show on MSNBC that has a reporter from Vox, etc. Or someone goes from AP to Fox to Daily Caller to Breitbart.

And Facebook and Twitter and Youtube feed down that road even faster.
    Dont disagree with much you've said, but I think that the way we consume the news as well as the tone that we clamor for from the media accounts for more of that than bias. While we've never seen a change like the internet in how we consume media, the extreme tone and partisanship has run through the country in cycles since our founding. The only real bias the media has is toward the consumer and the dollar and that's really nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Rhody View Post
    No bias at all. They are trying to divide everyone on every subject and make us all hate each other. Now they got as all afraid of each other as well. They see no color no political affiliation no class. They just want to make it easier for the government to control

And frankly they are doing a good job at it
    I think the media is unwittingly doing the job of keeping the current system going. I don't think it's a grand conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    Dont disagree with much you've said, but I think that the way we consume the news as well as the tone that we clamor for from the media accounts for more of that than bias. While we've never seen a change like the internet in how we consume media, the extreme tone and partisanship has run through the country in cycles since our founding. The only real bias the media has is toward the consumer and the dollar and that's really nothing new.
    The NYT years ago did a study if bias in media and found that bias in media slides to favor their consumers and the slide of the bias in media leads the consumers to more of the same bias. They are a feedback loop.

I think there is very little that isn't slanted one way or the other.

One of the very few that I believe is honestly one of the last genuine reporters out there is Jamie Dupree.

It's all biased towards the establishment. You don't see the Chris hedges or Noam Chomskys of the world on CNN for a reason.

Tyt is some good ****, and people would consider them far left because they're anti establishment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Tyt is some good ****, and people would consider them far left because they're anti establishment.
    I can see centrist media also being anti-establishment. It just depends on what they want to go to, not just if they don't like where we are.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/us/pr...ers/index.html

has anyone seen media/people with the media saying this for protests for the murder of George Floyd??

I certainly haven't seen this narrative, that mattered then but not so much now.

the known Liberal media was more against legal protesting when it came to protesting against the lockdowns. protests that as far as I remember never turned into rioting.
    It wasn't legal