Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 164 of 182 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 2719

Thread: Bias in media

  1. #2446
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Fair and balanced press right?


    https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/sta...410237442?s=21


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yawn.

    https://youtu.be/AYjDE94G7rs

  2. #2447
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    31,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    That's what I'm saying. Going into the film a reviewer first aligns their expectations with the target audience and reviews it from that perspective. If they went to a bubble gum action film while thinking about an art film they will always write bad reviews and thus be largely useless. I didn't say they had to give it a good review, just that they should be starting from a position of a person who would choose to go see that movie, not as someone who never would.
    No they do not lol. A film reviewer doesn't go into Sharknado 3 and go "well I need to review this from the perspective of someone who watches this movie and loves camp therefore I'm going to give it a good review because someone who watches this type of movie will think it's a good movie". They simply review it on whether it's a good movie or not. This is why so many action movies do not get stellar reviews compared to art films.

    I don't think you know how movie reviews work lol

  3. #2448
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,164
    Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    Hannity doesn’t say he’s “balanced” like the WP and CNN always do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #2449
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    3,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Hannity doesn’t say he’s “balanced” like the WP and CNN always do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fox News does and Hannity works for them. So you're wrong.
    "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

    -JFK


  5. #2450
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    23,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    Fox News does and Hannity works for them. So you're wrong.
    did. they don't anymore and haven't since 2017.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Either care about all of it like a decent human being or shut the **** up and stop selective outrage based on whether it serves your political purposes.

    a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome
    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

  6. #2451
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,635
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    No they do not lol. A film reviewer doesn't go into Sharknado 3 and go "well I need to review this from the perspective of someone who watches this movie and loves camp therefore I'm going to give it a good review because someone who watches this type of movie will think it's a good movie". They simply review it on whether it's a good movie or not. This is why so many action movies do not get stellar reviews compared to art films.

    I don't think you know how movie reviews work lol
    And I don't think you do.

  7. #2452
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    43,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    And I don't think you do.
    but he's right.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  8. #2453
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,635
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    but he's right.
    Nah. A critic who ignores target audience in their reviews is a bad critic.

  9. #2454
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    31,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Nah. A critic who ignores target audience in their reviews is a bad critic.
    Well this guy actually looked at the to top 100 highest grossing movies of the year for the past 20 years (for 2,000 films total) and found:

    https://stephenfollows.com/do-film-c...diences-agree/

    Do film critics and audiences rate in a similar way?
    No. Film critics’ and audiences’ voting patterns differ in two significant ways. Firstly, critics give harsher judgements than audience members. Across all films in my sample, film critics rated films an average of 10 points lower than audiences.

    Which genres divide film critics and audiences?
    The difference between the ratings given by film critics and audiences is most pronounced within genres that are often seen as populist ‘popcorn’ fare, such as horror, romantic comedy and thrillers. Both film critics and audiences give the highest ratings to black comedies and dramas.



    So critics give harsher ratings than audiences and they generally rate genres considered populist lower than their audience. That wouldn't happen if the critics were basing their review off of the target audience.

    Do you have anything to support your belief?

  10. #2455
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,635
    People in the media acknowledge that media has a bias "left of center" or a "liberal" bias ... I don't really get why people are so quick to deny it. Vox admits it, NYT admits it, they know that is their audience so they naturally have people who have a bias to match the audience.

    Is it just defensiveness that makes people say it's not true, or is it the alternate definitions of "left" that people are quick to defend?

  11. #2456
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    23,260
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/martha...n-liberal-hack

    Sen. Martha McSally refuses to answer CNN reporter: 'You're a liberal hack'
    Sen. Martha McSally, R-Ariz., had some biting criticism for CNN reporter Manu Raju when he tried asking her a question in one of the Senate office buildings on Thursday.

    "Manu, you're a liberal hack. I'm not going to talk to you," McSally said before cutting into a side room. Raju had asked McSallly whether the Senate should consider new evidence as part of the impeachment trial.

    It's unclear what exactly prompted McSally's barb but it was leveled at a news network regularly panned by Republicans for showing liberal bias.


    After Raju tweeted about the incident, McSally doubled down and tweeted her own video of the exchange.



    https://www.foxnews.com/media/martha...y-liberal-hack

    McSally rejects Wolf Blitzer's claim she should apologize for calling CNN reporter 'liberal hack'
    Sen. Martha McSally, R-Ariz., said Thursday evening she does not owe a CNN congressional reporter an apology for rebuffing his question and calling him a "liberal hack" -- after one of the network's veteran anchors said it would be appropriate to do so.

    McSally was walking toward a room in the Dirksen Senate Office Building when she encountered reporter Manu Raju. Raju asked McSally if she and other senators should "consider new evidence" in President Trump's impeachment trial. The senator responded by saying she would not entertain the question, calling Raju a "liberal hack."

    Later on CNN, journalists Jake Tapper and Dana Bash defended Raju, and anchor Wolf Blitzer interviewed the reporter about the interaction.

    Raju told Blitzer he has not received an apology from McSally or her office.

    "If they did the right thing, she would personally call you and say 'I'm sorry' -- it was an awful thing she did," Blitzer said.

    On "The Ingraham Angle," McSally defended her actions, saying that reporters like Raju "chase Republicans and ask trapping questions."

    "I'm a fighter pilot -- I called it like it is," she continued, claiming mainstream media reporters show a double standard in how they approach and question Democratic versus Republican lawmakers:

    "They're cheerleading the Democrats [but] they hate the president," McSally said.

    When Ingraham played video of Blitzer, she joked that the network should instead apologize to actor James Earl Jones.

    "He should get his voiceover back," she remarked, nodding to the fact the famous voice behind "Darth Vader" is also the voice behind the network's "This -- is CNN" tagline.

    McSally claimed that CNN owes many people apologies, remarking that they should be filing federal election paperwork with the Democratic National Committee.
    I think this happening is hilarious, but this does come at what looks to be a perfectly fine question.

    however CNN has shown their bias towards Democrats and against Republicans.


    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Either care about all of it like a decent human being or shut the **** up and stop selective outrage based on whether it serves your political purposes.

    a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome
    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

  12. #2457
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,608
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/martha...n-liberal-hack






    https://www.foxnews.com/media/martha...y-liberal-hack




    I think this happening is hilarious, but this does come at what looks to be a perfectly fine question.

    however CNN has shown their bias towards Democrats and against Republicans.


    https://youtu.be/AYjDE94G7rs

  13. #2458
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    23,260
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/martha...n-liberal-hack
    Sen. Martha McSally refuses to answer CNN reporter: 'You're a liberal hack'



    https://www.foxnews.com/media/martha...y-liberal-hack
    McSally rejects Wolf Blitzer's claim she should apologize for calling CNN reporter 'liberal hack'
    "I'm a fighter pilot -- I called it like it is," she continued, claiming mainstream media reporters show a double standard in how they approach and question Democratic versus Republican lawmakers:

    "They're cheerleading the Democrats [but] they hate the president," McSally said.



    I think this happening is hilarious, but this does come at what looks to be a perfectly fine question.

    however CNN has shown their bias towards Democrats and against Republicans.








    https://nypost.com/2020/01/16/cnns-b...ond-laughable/

    CNN’s bias is now beyond laughable
    As Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) walked through the hallways of the Senate Thursday, CNN senior congressional correspondent Manu Raju asked her if the Senate should consider “new evidence as part of the impeachment trial.” McSally shot back: “Manu, you’re a liberal hack. I’m not talking to you.”

    “You’re not going to comment about this?” a dazed Raju asked. “You’re a liberal hack, buddy,” McSally replied as she walked away. Predictably, conservatives cheered, while mainstream media decried McSally’s move as unbecoming.

    Whatever your take, the interaction reflects three years of mounting frustration with an overtly partisan media, exemplified by CNN, which has dropped any pretense of fairness and become an organ of the Democratic Party.

    The problem isn’t that Raju asked the question — that’s his job, after all. It’s that virtually all questions posed by political reporters these days are framed to support the narratives and assumptions of one political party, the Democrats.

    CNN’s Jake Tapper, remarking on the incident, called Raju’s query reasonable, because it was “the question of the day.” Indeed, that’s the problem. Democrats are always dictating the “question of the day.”

    As Tapper surely knows, there is no Lev Parnas “evidence” about *alleged Trump-Giuliani misdeeds in Ukraine. There are only allegations from a sordid character named Lev Parnas. Now, perhaps those allegations will be proved true. But any honest observer of Washington understands that Democrats are stringing out these investigations until the election.

    By referring to Parnas’ handwritten notes as “evidence,” Raju is merely perpetuating a talking point. Which would be fine, of course, if reporters were also stalking the hallways of the Senate demanding to know if Democrats were prepared to investigate new “evidence” of alleged wrongdoing by Hunter Biden.

    On the whole, mainstream outlets have exhibited deep skepticism about verified and unverified accusations about the vice-presidential son’s Burisma shenanigans. They should do the same in the Parnas case, as well (Tapper, to his credit, has raised some questions).

    You’d think that journalists who had recently subjected the nation to a hysterical three-year carousel of botched Russia “collusion” stories, fed to them by partisans, would show a lot more caution, rather than blindly embracing the theories of House Democrats.

    In 2017, Raju reported an “exclusive” that Donald Trump Jr. had advance notice of WikiLeaks dumps against the Democratic Party, thus proving criminal conspiracy. It turned out Raju had gotten the date on a supposedly incriminating e-mail wrong: The e-mail apprised Don Jr. of documents that were *already in the public record.

    CNN ran a massively embarrassing correction while insisting the reporter had followed “editorial process.” But Raju never explained how his two supposedly independent sources both got the date on the e-mail wrong.

    The Don Jr. e-mail story was just one of dozens of failed scoops that fueled paranoia around the 2016 election results. CNN was perhaps the worst offender, so it really has no business feigning indignation when a Republican senator calls one of its reporters a “hack.”

    You only need to juxtapose the McSally brouhaha with Nancy *Pelosi’s news conference this week to see how liberal journalistic malpractice works. Without any evidence, the House speaker accused Team Trump of sedition and criminality and claimed — again — that the 2016 presidential election had been stolen by Russians, knowing full well no one would really challenge her.

    What’s most infuriating about CNN isn’t that hosts like Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo or *reporters like Raju, Jim Acosta and Jim Sciutto have an agenda — it’s that they pretend they don’t.

    Was it a good moment for McSally, who is serving her first term in the Senate after being appointed to take the late John McCain’s seat? Probably not. Losing your cool is rarely a good look for a politician, and independent and moderate voters who will decide her fate are unlikely to understand the context of her frustration.

    But that doesn’t render her grievance illegitimate.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Either care about all of it like a decent human being or shut the **** up and stop selective outrage based on whether it serves your political purposes.

    a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome
    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

  14. #2459
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,881
    What’s your point?

    That corporate media is biased because being biased makes them tons of money?

    If so, that’s one hell of an insight into the blatantly obvious.

  15. #2460
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    23,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    What’s your point?

    That corporate media is biased because being biased makes them tons of money?

    If so, that’s one hell of an insight into the blatantly obvious.
    beyond biased. that is why I made part of it red, to highlight it's importance. CNN has become an organ of the Democratic Party. CNN is basically Democrat propaganda. they recently had to settle with MAGA hat wearing Nick Sandmann for wrongly attacking him, which was done for no other reason that he supported Trump and CNN hates Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Either care about all of it like a decent human being or shut the **** up and stop selective outrage based on whether it serves your political purposes.

    a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome
    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •