Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 151 of 172 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 2569

Thread: Bias in media

  1. #2251
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    12,309
    We all know FNK has a bone to pick to black people, muslims, hispanics etc. We all know that. Goto any thread about black people getting shot by the cops, or minority members of Congress, and there's only one person consistently (always) defending white people. This isn't something we don't know.

    White supremacy has an ideology behind their racism. It's pretty cut and dry.

    But I don't think most people are necessarily racist. They just hate what they see and I think they just aren't aware that they are only commenting and generalizing on what they see, when it's really the conditions they don't see, like how these people live, that they actually hate.

    We've all been around people who **** on some minority and then look at one of their friends who are part of that minority and say, "I'm not talking about you, you're one of the good ones". Well what makes them one of the good ones? I'd say class has more to do with it. I think most people just hate poor people. It's why people don't want refugees, and asylum seekers, illegal immigrants, but are fine with educated, skilled, people with money coming instead. Maybe some of it is cultural, but I think a lot of that is spun by the mass media and social media. If you just look at the common variables, if there's no ideology behind it, then it's usually these people are poor, and then everything that comes with being poor gets tagged onto them. More likely to be crime, goto prison, uneducated, bad health, bad communities etc. If you're a minority, you start off at the bottom of the class structure immediately. That's not to say white people don't either, but is there any sympathy for poor white people? Hell no.


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  2. #2252
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    29,252
    I think them being present is part of what makes them one of the good ones..

    If that friend weren't there at the time then no one would be going out of their way to point out the exception
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  3. #2253
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,156
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Yea the data is called common ****in sense

    Cmon scoots, you're better than that.

    You want me to provide data that most Americans were aware that obama was actually black too? lol, what are you asking from me here??

    They cant see trumps racist intent because they themselves are racist, and that's just neutral for them. Saying send that black guy to jail because he probably robbed someone, to me that's racist, to them that's just normal. To them they just start the paragraphs of excuses.

    Look at fnk defending the muslim ban. Same exact thing. Read his posts, it's up for everyone to read.
    Common sense is a long long long way from data.

    You are claiming that nearly half the country are actively supporting racist policies and are by extension racist themselves. You further claimed that the people who voted for Trump did so because of his racist rhetoric. Now you are saying that they are not just complicit in his racism but are actually racist themselves.

    And as I said, using this place as an example is not a good model of the general populace.

  4. #2254
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    29,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Common sense is a long long long way from data.

    You are claiming that nearly half the country are actively supporting racist policies and are by extension racist themselves. You further claimed that the people who voted for Trump did so because of his racist rhetoric. Now you are saying that they are not just complicit in his racism but are actually racist themselves.

    And as I said, using this place as an example is not a good model of the general populace.
    I said that people are ok with a racist president. Which they are, I dont even see what the other side of this coin is. Saying people are ignorant to all his race baiting, lol, bro that's exactly what put him on the map!

    People are ok with having a racist president. This doesnt mean people who support him are racist, it means people who support him are ok with having a racist president who floats racist legislation.

    I also said that trump's racist rhetoric is exactly what got him support in the first place. Again, this support is from people who at the very least are ok with having a racist as our president.

    Again, if I make the claim that majority of americans knew obama is black, will you then ask me for data and tell me common sense is a long long way from data?

    Btw, over 40% of america supported trump banning muslims. This is not some fringe element of his campaign. It's the opposite, it is THE CORE of his campaign
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  5. #2255
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,156
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    We all know FNK has a bone to pick to black people, muslims, hispanics etc. We all know that. Goto any thread about black people getting shot by the cops, or minority members of Congress, and there's only one person consistently (always) defending white people. This isn't something we don't know.

    White supremacy has an ideology behind their racism. It's pretty cut and dry.

    But I don't think most people are necessarily racist. They just hate what they see and I think they just aren't aware that they are only commenting and generalizing on what they see, when it's really the conditions they don't see, like how these people live, that they actually hate.

    We've all been around people who **** on some minority and then look at one of their friends who are part of that minority and say, "I'm not talking about you, you're one of the good ones". Well what makes them one of the good ones? I'd say class has more to do with it. I think most people just hate poor people. It's why people don't want refugees, and asylum seekers, illegal immigrants, but are fine with educated, skilled, people with money coming instead. Maybe some of it is cultural, but I think a lot of that is spun by the mass media and social media. If you just look at the common variables, if there's no ideology behind it, then it's usually these people are poor, and then everything that comes with being poor gets tagged onto them. More likely to be crime, goto prison, uneducated, bad health, bad communities etc. If you're a minority, you start off at the bottom of the class structure immediately. That's not to say white people don't either, but is there any sympathy for poor white people? Hell no.
    I don't think most people have the time to hate poor people, they are just living their lives and they want politicians to make it better or easier to do what they want to do. Most people don't think at a global or national or even state level, they think and act very locally, and for the most part they don't have time to hate people based on class or race.

    When the GOP says they want to fix X or Y most people see it as that, not the damage that version of fixing X or Y will do to poor people, or "people of color". Likewise when Dems want to help poor people or POC (I hate that phrase) they sell it that way and often do considerable harm too.

    Take health care ... it's a totally broken system, the GOP wanted to leave it broken while talking about how the other guys were going to screw up what was working about it. The Dems actually got Obamacare passed, a bunch of people who couldn't get coverage got it, a bunch of kids who were choosing not to get it got it, and the costs to the people have more than doubled and the deductibles have tripled. The GOP wanted to screw poor people in an obvious fashion (health care works if you have a job, just stay healthy), and the Dems screwed people in the end by letting the bill get so watered down by special interests that it was sinking when it passed.

    Neither side is full of people who really care about everybody, they just sell it in different ways, and even then most people are not really paying attention to what's going on and what this policy statement or that one will mean in the long run.

  6. #2256
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Racism is an ideology about one race being superior or inferior to another. Crossing the street is racial bias.

    White supremacy is specifically racist white people who believe other races are lesser and should be controlled by the white race.
    No racism is action taken due to racial bias. Bias can exist without action.

  7. #2257
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    12,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't think most people have the time to hate poor people, they are just living their lives and they want politicians to make it better or easier to do what they want to do. Most people don't think at a global or national or even state level, they think and act very locally, and for the most part they don't have time to hate people based on class or race.
    You're right, and that's why IMO when you see people like FNK put so much time and effort into discrediting or ******** on minorities, there's most likely an agenda behind that. If you don't care, then why are you going out of your way to **** on them?

    Most people though, don't care at all about it, for obvious reasons. They have more important things to care about and more important things to put their time and effort into. But they are aware of the negative's more than the positives, which is usually pushed by mass media/social media, and even personal experience, and that leads to casual racism. But IMO most of the negatives are indicators of being poor. Like I said, crime, lack of health, lack of education, family dysfunction, ****** neighborhoods etc. all of these are indicators that are more likely to be prevalent in poor places.

    So if you have a poor neighborhood that is mostly black, or First Nations, or hispanic, and you're reading on the news or whatever about murders, and robberies, and domestic violence etc. happening there, and it's not happening in your middle class neighborhood, you're sitting there thinking "When are these people going to get it together?" "Why aren't they getting jobs?" "They don't want to work", "They're animals, I wish they would go away". So it snowballs into this negative attitude against minorities because that's your baseline. But when you meet someone who's a visible minority who is educated, has a job, good family, lives in your neighborhood, there's may be some lingering negative impulses just because of your past interactions, but the person/family is more likely to be accepted because not only are they in the same class as you, but you're more likely to have a positive interaction with them because of it.

    So I look at that and say, if you're mad at black crime, or illegal immigration, or refugees from the other side of the world, unless you have an ideology behind it, which most people don't, you might be saying "We need to build a wall", "It's an invasion", "Shari'a Law is coming", "I wish they'd not come here" , but what you're really saying, "Oh great, here comes more poor people with all their problems".

    I'm not trying to downplay racism, but I'm just saying for most people, I think it's misguided and they're more angry about class and the negatives of the lower class.


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  8. #2258
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,156
    Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    No racism is action taken due to racial bias. Bias can exist without action.
    Action isn't needed for racism to exist. Bias is a generic term ... I'm biased toward green apples over red ones.

  9. #2259
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,156
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    You're right, and that's why IMO when you see people like FNK put so much time and effort into discrediting or ******** on minorities, there's most likely an agenda behind that. If you don't care, then why are you going out of your way to **** on them?

    Most people though, don't care at all about it, for obvious reasons. They have more important things to care about and more important things to put their time and effort into. But they are aware of the negative's more than the positives, which is usually pushed by mass media/social media, and even personal experience, and that leads to casual racism. But IMO most of the negatives are indicators of being poor. Like I said, crime, lack of health, lack of education, family dysfunction, ****** neighborhoods etc. all of these are indicators that are more likely to be prevalent in poor places.

    So if you have a poor neighborhood that is mostly black, or First Nations, or hispanic, and you're reading on the news or whatever about murders, and robberies, and domestic violence etc. happening there, and it's not happening in your middle class neighborhood, you're sitting there thinking "When are these people going to get it together?" "Why aren't they getting jobs?" "They don't want to work", "They're animals, I wish they would go away". So it snowballs into this negative attitude against minorities because that's your baseline. But when you meet someone who's a visible minority who is educated, has a job, good family, lives in your neighborhood, there's may be some lingering negative impulses just because of your past interactions, but the person/family is more likely to be accepted because not only are they in the same class as you, but you're more likely to have a positive interaction with them because of it.

    So I look at that and say, if you're mad at black crime, or illegal immigration, or refugees from the other side of the world, unless you have an ideology behind it, which most people don't, you might be saying "We need to build a wall", "It's an invasion", "Shari'a Law is coming", "I wish they'd not come here" , but what you're really saying, "Oh great, here comes more poor people with all their problems".

    I'm not trying to downplay racism, but I'm just saying for most people, I think it's misguided and they're more angry about class and the negatives of the lower class.
    I agree for the most part, right up to the end. I don't think people think "here comes more poor people" but more "I don't want those problems where I have to see or deal with them" ... it's the problems more than the money. The same people don't want the new high end mall built down the street or the factory built in their town because it will effect traffic or noise or whatever.

    The vast majority of people I talk to about the homeless problem, for instance, have the same opinion "It's a shame" but they have absolutely no idea why they are there or what we should do about it, just that it's "bad" ... not that the people are bad but that "it" is bad that they are there. Some people will blame big business or drugs or alcohol or just bad luck. They don't want the homeless around, but not BECAUSE they are poor but because they make them uncomfortable.

    There is also that there are differences in philosophy on how people can be elevated. Many believe giving someone something with no strings attached is a kindness, some believe that such things devalue the human spirit and do nothing to solve the problem in the long run. It's not out of hate just a different idea as to a solution.

    Add to that dichotomy that our political and economical systems are completely broken by the people in charge being responsive to the money and not the people all the while telling people what they want to hear more than anything else.

  10. #2260
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    44,521
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I'm not saying his supporters are racist, I'm saying they support a racist movement. Make america white again IS a racist movement, make america white again got its entire inception and initial momentum based on racist thought and rhetoric. Make America white again is what make america great again actually means and it is a racist movement.

    Many people may support non racial elements of it, many people who support it may not be racist themselves, but that doesnt change the fact that the movement itself is a racist one. I'm not saying this out of anger or resentment, it's just that 1+1=2, it is what it is.
    Nah, that's just your (and many others) overtly simple interpretation of it.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  11. #2261
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    22,872
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Let me ask you this. If obama said we need to decrease crime rate, whites as a group commit the most crimes, let's lock up every white person until we can figure our crime situation out, and someone said hey, that's pretty racist, your response would be no, you obviously dont understand the intent?

    If so, your post has validity. If not, you just lost all credibility for your last post.

    You yourself are a bigot. You're a good person, but you're still a bigot. My uncle is a great person but hes a bigot against Hindus. It is what it is.
    the bold is not really accurate so this shouldn't be said.

    even with statistics that show whites commit more crimes you would have to include based on population since white is a majority in America. a reason whites commit more of crime X wouldn't be because they were white, where as radical Islamic terrorism literally abuses the Islamic religion. that is the ideology they use.






    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    We all know FNK has a bone to pick to black people, muslims, hispanics etc. We all know that. Goto any thread about black people getting shot by the cops, or minority members of Congress, and there's only one person consistently (always) defending white people. This isn't something we don't know.

    White supremacy has an ideology behind their racism. It's pretty cut and dry.

    But I don't think most people are necessarily racist. They just hate what they see and I think they just aren't aware that they are only commenting and generalizing on what they see, when it's really the conditions they don't see, like how these people live, that they actually hate.

    We've all been around people who **** on some minority and then look at one of their friends who are part of that minority and say, "I'm not talking about you, you're one of the good ones". Well what makes them one of the good ones? I'd say class has more to do with it. I think most people just hate poor people. It's why people don't want refugees, and asylum seekers, illegal immigrants, but are fine with educated, skilled, people with money coming instead. Maybe some of it is cultural, but I think a lot of that is spun by the mass media and social media. If you just look at the common variables, if there's no ideology behind it, then it's usually these people are poor, and then everything that comes with being poor gets tagged onto them. More likely to be crime, goto prison, uneducated, bad health, bad communities etc. If you're a minority, you start off at the bottom of the class structure immediately. That's not to say white people don't either, but is there any sympathy for poor white people? Hell no.
    wrong. if anyone is stupid enough to think/believe this then that is their problem. I don't have a problem with anyone because of their race.

    if there is a black Democrat then I'm likely going to be against them. not because they're black, but because they're a Democrat.
    if there is a black Republican then I'm likely going to support them, not because they're black, but because they're Republican. I would gladly support a black Republican for President.
    I say likely because even that isn't going to determine what I think. I've posted stories where I agreed with something said by both Kamala Harris and Ilhan Omar. people tend to not pay attention because that contradicts their already predetermined conclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Either care about all of it like a decent human being or shut the **** up and stop selective outrage based on whether it serves your political purposes.

    a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome
    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

  12. #2262
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    44,521
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Let's say Jeffrey Dahlmer got a lot of tv coverage and won president. If I said I guess america is ok with a serial killer being president, would you respond by saying actually he just got a lot of tv coverage, that's why he won?

    No latter how you slice it, america is ok with a racist president. Regardless of what factors lead up to this, there is no denying this fact. And on the right, they seemingly PREFER this. But that's par for the course, being anti mi ority is pretty standard for the right. Why do you think they got drawn to trump rather than the other candidates? Because he said what they thought.

    Amd that's exactly what trump's movement is. Him saying what they think. This black man cant possibly be allowed to lead this white country, so let's bring up a reason why. These immigrants are rapists and criminals. This mexican cannot pass judgement on me. This religion should be banned. Fabricating a story about thousands of muslims cheering 9/11 in jersey.

    He hates muslims so much he is willing to just fabricate lies about us in order to garner more hate towards us. Seriously, **** that guy. **** that racist mother****er. And **** anyone who defended such low down dirty lie.
    Lol you literally just said you don't think Trump is racist a few posts ago. At least be consistent.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  13. #2263
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    44,521
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Ok, do you understand the intent behind enslaving black people? Does you understanding this intent make enslaving black people any less racist? If not, then you should understand why you answering me like this makes me go wtf? Obama identified a threat and targeted that threat. Trump targeted an entire religion. The two are simply not comparable regardless how much you want them to be. One is an objective security move, one is a bigotry move. Trumps move wasn't about security, it was about pushing his movements racism and bigotry forward, point blank. And it worked, all these white people swallowed it up.

    And you know this. At the end of the day you're not an idiot.

    Maga is racist, I dont see how that's up for debate. We all saw this movement form right in front of our eyes, we all saw what got his support base excited and loud. All his racist bull ****. Other things too, yes, but his entire movement was moving forward so rapidly because of his racist attitude toward minorities. Many republicans like this. Many Republicans were pissed off having a black president. The numbers dont lie, trump won cuz he had the most numbers. Trump gained his numbers by bashing on minorities. 1+1=2.
    1+1=2 totally sells your point(s). Please finish all your posts with this as it really hammers the point home effectively no matter what you've said leading up to it.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  14. #2264
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    29,252
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Lol you literally just said you don't think Trump is racist a few posts ago. At least be consistent.
    I dont think trump is a racist, he just acts like one because that's what plays a big role in his political success.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  15. #2265
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    29,252
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    1+1=2 totally sells your point(s). Please finish all your posts with this as it really hammers the point home effectively no matter what you've said leading up to it.
    Oh it's just a side note for people who cant follow all I said leading up to it.

    Glad to see it help clarify things for you
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •