Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    Really need depth players and voracek/simmonds to come up big and relieve some pressure off of Giroux.
    Konecny is my wild card for the series...if he cam come up big, I think this could be an interesting series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    Konecny is my wild card for the series...if he cam come up big, I think this could be an interesting series.
    Him, Patrick, and Lindblom are the most key. If they play free and arenít gripping their sticks too tightly, they are all peaking. If they crush it, we may be able to take advantage of a bit more zone time, but it is Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel after all ... they are going to put up numbers, unless they are cold and get a healthy dose of playing both of G and Couturier. G has gone head to head against Crosby. Playoffs donít count for the Hart, but Iíll just say if we beat the Pens and G out duels Crosby in the first round, he will likely win the Hart ... same goes for MacKinnon against Nash. Playoffs are natural tiebreakers, itís BS but true. Everytime we lose itís because of Sheary, Guentzel, and Dumoulin ... they added Brassard ... their 3rd line will blow us out if Filppula centers it, especially on the road where we donít get last change.

Honestly I think the key to losing is hoping Filppula and Lehtera can match up and play offense against a lines centered by Crosby, Malkin, and Brassard ... but match that against G, Couturier, and Patrick ... we have a punchers chance. Especially with Laughton as the 4th line C ...

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    That hasnít worked all season. Why would it work now?
    If I'm not mistaken the Flyers only had this version of their top 6 for 1 of the matchups against Pitt this season. That game went to overtime in a fairly evenly played game.

The Flyers also had their 3rd and 4th goalies for that game.

The doom and gloom for this series is a little much imo. The Flyers played 20+games this season with their 3rd an 4th goalies. Also played a large portion of the season without Lindblom and Sanheim in the lineup, and still finished only 2 pts back of this pens team.

This is a tough, but winnable series.

We need to win the first game in Pittsburgh! Win that and the whole series will be changed.

Looked at the pens numbers a little bit, and it seems like a low shooting percentage early in the season deflated their full season numbers. At this point they are finishing at a more reasonable pace, and it shows in numbers that are looking at the last 25 games.

I think the Flyers can hang with this team at 5on5, but they really need to stay out of the box. Pens power play is simply too good to give chances to, and the Flyers PK is nowhere near good enough.

Unfortunately the more I look into this series the tougher this match-up gets.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    Looked at the pens numbers a little bit, and it seems like a low shooting percentage early in the season deflated their full season numbers. At this point they are finishing at a more reasonable pace, and it shows in numbers that are looking at the last 25 games.

I think the Flyers can hang with this team at 5on5, but they really need to stay out of the box. Pens power play is simply too good to give chances to, and the Flyers PK is nowhere near good enough.

Unfortunately the more I look into this series the tougher this match-up gets.
    The Flyers are certainly capable of making it a series. Winning it is an entirely different story. They have a chance though if some bounces go their way.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    The Flyers are certainly capable of making it a series. Winning it is an entirely different story. They have a chance though if some bounces go their way.
    Exactly -- and the Penguins have had their fair share of lucky bounces over the years (especially the last two). I'm not saying they are "due" for a bad series or a run of bad luck, but it wouldn't surprise me.

We have to play our game -- and I think if we can do that, we can make it interesting. Hakstol needs to not be an idiot (which will be difficult for him), the kids need to relax and our veteran leadership needs to show up to play every night.

If we steal one in Pittsburgh, this series can get really interesting really quickly.

The other thing I'd like to see is more physicality -- this is where Simmonds can shine. If you're going to beat the Penguins, I think you need to physically pound them into submission. Crosby & Malkin thrive on fighting through stick checks, so we need to take the body, be aggressive in the NZ and physical on the forecheck. This is a team that can be ground down (which is what NJ has done to them over and over again) if we commit to doing so.

For the Flyers to win this series I think Dave Hakstol has to win the coaching match-up. Which doesn't bode well.

I'm talking, double shifting guys, stapling the right guys to the bench. A guy like Provy playing 30 mins per game. Riding the hot hands when they exist, making sure in the home games he gets the right matchups, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    Exactly -- and the Penguins have had their fair share of lucky bounces over the years (especially the last two). I'm not saying they are "due" for a bad series or a run of bad luck, but it wouldn't surprise me.

We have to play our game -- and I think if we can do that, we can make it interesting. Hakstol needs to not be an idiot (which will be difficult for him), the kids need to relax and our veteran leadership needs to show up to play every night.

If we steal one in Pittsburgh, this series can get really interesting really quickly.

The other thing I'd like to see is more physicality -- this is where Simmonds can shine. If you're going to beat the Penguins, I think you need to physically pound them into submission. Crosby & Malkin thrive on fighting through stick checks, so we need to take the body, be aggressive in the NZ and physical on the forecheck. This is a team that can be ground down (which is what NJ has done to them over and over again) if we commit to doing so.
    NJ is fast ... Speed makes them uncomfortable, as you said with stick checks it is also buzzing around the ice. We need to field the fastest possible lineup ... Pitt is getting old, buzz them.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    For the Flyers to win this series I think Dave Hakstol has to win the coaching match-up. Which doesn't bode well.

I'm talking, double shifting guys, stapling the right guys to the bench. A guy like Provy playing 30 mins per game. Riding the hot hands when they exist, making sure in the home games he gets the right matchups, etc.
    Agreed

provorov and ghost getting close to 30 is a must. manning shouldnt get anywhere near 20.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    provorov and ghost getting close to 30 is a must. manning shouldnt get anywhere near 20.
    Personally, I'd re-work the pairings:

Provorov - Ghost (30 minutes)
    Sanheim - Gudas (20 minutes)
    AMac - Hagg/Manning (10 minutes)

Basically try to shelter the living hell out of AMac/Hagg/Manning and pray that Provorov and Ghost can carry most of the load. I think Sanheim helps Gudas to get the puck out of the zone and play his game (NZ disruption, preventing controlled entries, etc.).

With that third pairing, it's a "hold on and pray it doesn't get too ugly" scenario.

G Couts Raffl
    Lindblom Patrick Jake
    Weal Laughton TK
    Leier Filppula Read

TK on the 3rd line gives them a scoring threat, Leier and Read give you enough speed to help Filppula.

Provy Ghost
    Sanheim McD
    Hagg Gudas

Pairs your best 2 Dmen together and hope they can play 30+ minutes.

or

Provy Gudas/MacD/Hagg/Manning
    Ghost Gudas/MacD/Hagg/Manning
    Sanheim Gudas/MacD/Hagg/Manning

Gives each paring a puck moving Dman and a stay at home Dman.

Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    G Couts Raffl
    Lindblom Patrick Jake
    Weal Laughton TK
    Leier Filppula Read

TK on the 3rd line gives them a scoring threat, Leier and Read give you enough speed to help Filppula.

Provy Ghost
    Sanheim McD
    Hagg Gudas

Pairs your best 2 Dmen together and hope they can play 30+ minutes.

or

Provy Gudas/MacD/Hagg/Manning
    Ghost Gudas/MacD/Hagg/Manning
    Sanheim Gudas/MacD/Hagg/Manning

Gives each paring a puck moving Dman and a stay at home Dman.
    No Simmonds?

G Couts Simmonds
    Lindblom Patrick Jake
    Raffl Laughton TK
    Weal Filppula Read

this could be good too. Top 6 is still stacked and a decent 3rd line

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast