Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 32 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I think Russell is showing a lot more discipline then he used to. He is striking out less and walking much more. And that is overall for the season. I agree he needs to drive the ball more. But he is a guy who hits for power in streaks. So maybe that comes.
    He needs to slug, he canít be Ryan Theriot+ .

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    He needs to slug, he canít be Ryan Theriot+ .
    Agreed. But even if he is Theriot, which he is not, he is much better defensively. He has slugged in the past. Hopefully he starts again.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Agreed. But even if he is Theriot, which he is not, he is much better defensively. He has slugged in the past. Hopefully he starts again.
    Heís Theriot +. The excellence in defense is the +, but heís Theriot at the plate. Empty average, empty counting stats.

Heís Theriot +. The excellence in defense is the +, but heís Theriot at the plate. Empty average, empty counting stats.
    I am not sure about that. I mean hitting only .238 and .239 the last 2 years he slugged .417 and .418. Stands to reason if he can get his average up to .265 to .270 the slugging should go with it. That being the case, if he produces the same power platform as past years his slugging would go to around .445 to .450. That added to his current OBP of .341(which may also go up with a better average) puts him at ops near .800. Like I said, I believe his power comes in streaks. So if he as one coming he could be that player. Theriot never could be that player. I think at 24 this is a very real goal for Russell and is obtainable.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL:32345883
    It's frightening to me that in a time where it's en vogue to throw fewer fastballs we are top 5 in fb%, despite only 2/5 of the staff having bat-missing heat. Only 1 guy throws a slider and he can't find it, 3 of our guys lost their curves and are abandoning them, the guy who came in with a crazy high walk rate that we were sure we could fix has damn near doubled his scary high walk rate and can't throw the curve we were so hyped about for strikes to save his life. And all the while our pen and offense are as strong as ever during our contention window.
    If our bullpen can keep the ball in the yard(I'm not sure it's sustainable) I like the pen. Although walks as a entire unit are a cause for concern. They have the third highest walk percentage. Not sure what the cause is.

For every case of the guys you mentioned, thereís cases of guys like Heyward, Russell that just donít.

Oh wait, you listed Russell as breaking out? Yikes.
    He's been really good in May. And no, one home run doesn't skew the lines that much. He has a .350 wOBA. He's definitively starting to break out. Over the last 2 weeks he's hitting as good as Carlos Correa. He's definitely waking up. His overall line is up to his career average of .309.

Listen, say what you want about his career to this date, but even with a really bad stretch, he's on his career average. And the under the hood things all remain good: he's walking more, striking out less and making more contact than ever. All signs that suggest this hot streak is very capable of keeping up.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

That is asinine. He's not Theriot at all. Theriot provided zero power with a high walk rate that diminished once the league realized he wasn't an isssue. Russell has been a low batting average, high SLG% (for a SS) player. Not only does it make zero sense, it doesn't begin to capture who Russell is. And at that, they're not "empty" counting stats. What's empty about them? He's hit best in high leverage situations in his career and his numbers go up with runners on (not majorly, but up). There's nothing "empty" about them. He's literally been a league average SS offensively.

There's a lot you can say about Russell: his batting average has never matched expectations, but he's not Ryan Theriot. Or "Theriot+" whatever that means. Over a 900 game career, 3600 PA's, Ryan Theriot was worth 7.7 wins. At just 439 games (half of Theriot's career) and 1600 PA's, all before the age of 25, Russell is at 8.2 wins. It's like saying that Javier Baez is Darwin Barney+. They played the same position but in no way should the two be compared because they don't in any way play the same.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    That is asinine. He's not Theriot at all. Theriot provided zero power with a high walk rate that diminished once the league realized he wasn't an isssue. Russell has been a low batting average, high SLG% (for a SS) player. Not only does it make zero sense, it doesn't begin to capture who Russell is. And at that, they're not "empty" counting stats. What's empty about them? He's hit best in high leverage situations in his career and his numbers go up with runners on (not majorly, but up). There's nothing "empty" about them. He's literally been a league average SS offensively.

There's a lot you can say about Russell: his batting average has never matched expectations, but he's not Ryan Theriot. Or "Theriot+" whatever that means. Over a 900 game career, 3600 PA's, Ryan Theriot was worth 7.7 wins. At just 439 games (half of Theriot's career) and 1600 PA's, all before the age of 25, Russell is at 8.2 wins. It's like saying that Javier Baez is Darwin Barney+. They played the same position but in no way should the two be compared because they don't in any way play the same.
    Just to clear things up, when I refer to a guy, Iím not giving 2 ****s about their career numbers. I thought Iíve been clear with that. Heís been Theriot at the plate this year. It is what it is. When he slugs, let me know. Iíll welfome it, it makes us better, but what heís done before means nothing. Im not making projections, Iím talking this season. This season heís a plus glove and Theriot at the dish.

Just to clear things up, when I refer to a guy, Iím not giving 2 ****s about their career numbers. I thought Iíve been clear with that. Heís been Theriot at the plate this year. It is what it is. When he slugs, let me know. Iíll welfome it, it makes us better, but what heís done before means nothing. Im not making projections, Iím talking this season. This season heís a plus glove and Theriot at the dish.
    Well if "what he does is meaningless" then Anthony Rizzo is Ryan Theriot+.

That's an asinine comment. What Addison Russell has done in the past absolutely matters because it helps us project what we can expect going forward. Just like we know Anthony Rizzo is going to be fine, if there's two things Addison Russell has done, it's hit for power, and play defense. We can expect that heading forward. If you want to hold out expectations on keeping the batting average, the contact rate and walk rates? That's fair. But c'mon with that.

It's silly. It's bad baseball projection. We use the past to help inform us of the future. It'd be one thing if Russell were 37 years old and we were worried his power was sapped. He's 24. He's going to hit for power.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Wrong thread.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 05-15-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Great comeback win. Try to take the series tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Didn't you used to be a mod? Wrong thread, ya dolt.

<3
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Everything you said makes sense. The problem is the highlighted part. Coming in to the league, he was projected to be a plus offensive player. Not even above average. A plus. I realize that he's only 24, but up to this point, he's clearly been a disappointment with his stick. Now if his expectations coming in were that he's a glove only guy with below average offensive expectations, I'm pretty sure that Cub fans would view him differently.

He was the 11th overall pick in his draft. He was a five tool player who's projections went up each year in the minors. He also climbed big time in the rankings. He had a plus hit tool. A plus power tool. And everything else about him is considered plus-plus/plus.

There's no question about it, that in his fourth year, he has not lived up to his offensive expectations. Personally, I think he will, but this conversation is only about what he's done up to this point.

Well if "what he does is meaningless" then Anthony Rizzo is Ryan Theriot+.

That's an asinine comment. What Addison Russell has done in the past absolutely matters because it helps us project what we can expect going forward. Just like we know Anthony Rizzo is going to be fine, if there's two things Addison Russell has done, it's hit for power, and play defense. We can expect that heading forward. If you want to hold out expectations on keeping the batting average, the contact rate and walk rates? That's fair. But c'mon with that.

It's silly. It's bad baseball projection. We use the past to help inform us of the future. It'd be one thing if Russell were 37 years old and we were worried his power was sapped. He's 24. He's going to hit for power.
    Iíll call one back to this later.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Everything you said makes sense. The problem is the highlighted part. Coming in to the league, he was projected to be a plus offensive player. Not even above average. A plus. I realize that he's only 24, but up to this point, he's clearly been a disappointment with his stick. Now if his expectations coming in were that he's a glove only guy with below average offensive expectations, I'm pretty sure that Cub fans would view him differently.

He was the 11th overall pick in his draft. He was a five tool player who's projections went up each year in the minors. He also climbed big time in the rankings. He had a plus hit tool. A plus power tool. And everything else about him is considered plus-plus/plus.

There's no question about it, that in his fourth year, he has not lived up to his offensive expectations. Personally, I think he will, but this conversation is only about what he's done up to this point.
    The key to what you are saying is he is 24 years old. When he was projected to be a plus offensive player it was not necessarily meant that he would do so by the age of 24. Looks at Simmons of the Angels. He came in to the league and hit about what Russell has hit for the first few years. He broke out last year. There are a lot of guys who take a few years to find their way. Not everyone can be a Seager or Bryant. I firmly believe Russell can, and will produce offensively to OPS near or above .800 on a regular basis as he matures. I do not think it is a stretch to expect something along the lines if .275 to .285/.350 to .360/.440 to .460 as average numbers for Russell. Now, will it be this year? I am not sure. But I think it will be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post

Wasn't Almora drafted 6th in the same draft Russell was picked 11th? So if Russell is a disappointment because as the 11th pick you would expect him to be better, is Almora also a disappointment? I realize you are not say Russell is a disappointment. I am just curious as to what people think about 2 high picks from the same draft. Seems people are on Russell and Almora gets a pass. Of the two I feel Russell has performed better up until now. He has been a regular since he came up in 15'. Almora is still not a regular. What are your expectations of Albert?

Page 32 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast