Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Cubs25 View Post
    A lot of people were debating on which player should be traded. Most people said they would have rather the Cubs traded Baez over Russell if they had to trade one.
    This is how I understood these debates as well. At least until I couldn't bear it anymore and stopped checking in for a while lol

A lot of people were debating on which player should be traded. Most people said they would have rather the Cubs traded Baez over Russell if they had to trade one.
    I do not feel this is true. I think there were some who wanted Russell, others who wanted Baez and still others who wanted to keep both of them. I know I was on board with neither going and Happ being the guy moved instead. And, sorry guys, but the jury is still out on who will end up the better hitter between the two. I lean Baez, but this start to the season does not mean that Baez is clearly the obvious winner of the discussion. It means he is clearly the better hitter now.
    So as not to be misunderstood, I did not and still do not want either traded. And if I had to guess who would have a better career offensively I would lean Baez. But, again, this 35 game stretch doesn't guarantee that will be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I do not feel this is true. I think there were some who wanted Russell, others who wanted Baez and still others who wanted to keep both of them. I know I was on board with neither going and Happ being the guy moved instead. And, sorry guys, but the jury is still out on who will end up the better hitter between the two. I lean Baez, but this start to the season does not mean that Baez is clearly the obvious winner of the discussion. It means he is clearly the better hitter now.
    So as not to be misunderstood, I did not and still do not want either traded. And if I had to guess who would have a better career offensively I would lean Baez. But, again, this 35 game stretch doesn't guarantee that will be the case.
    Im in this boat as well. Id rather have Russell/Baez up the middle for the next 4+ years over Baez/Happ up the middle.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Magic Number = 8!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Im in this boat as well. Id rather have Russell/Baez up the middle for the next 4+ years over Baez/Happ up the middle.
    Without question! Those two up the middle defensively could be unmatched in baseball. Russell's expectations were to be a plus hitter. Even if he can get to an above-average offensive player he would be a perennial All-Star

If Machado is willing to sign an extension I am totally down for a trade.

would something like this work?

Addy, Schwarber, Adbert and Lange

For

Machado

Think of that lineup...

Almora
    Bryant
    Machado
    Rizzo
    Zobrist
    Willy
    Javy
    Heyward
    Pitcher

my god..

The real Pride of the Midwest

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post

For

Machado

Think of that lineup...

Almora
    Bryant
    Machado
    Rizzo
    Zobrist
    Willy
    Javy
    Heyward
    Pitcher

my god..
    Uhhhhh no. Addy, Schwarber, and our top pitching prospect? Absolutely not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Uhhhhh no. Addy, Schwarber, and our top pitching prospect? Absolutely not.

I don't suspect Machado agreeing to an extension prior to testing free agency is at all on the table.

If it were though, Russell+Alzolay+low level fodder is fine, and more than enough. No more than that and certainly not Schwarber.

For

Machado

Think of that lineup...

Almora
    Bryant
    Machado
    Rizzo
    Zobrist
    Willy
    Javy
    Heyward
    Pitcher

my god..
    You cannot be serious. There is no way the Orioles get anywhere near that for MM. Maybe if he had 3 more years on a decent contract that would work. But for a rental (even if they signed him to an extension) that is an obscured offer.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    I don't suspect Machado agreeing to an extension prior to testing free agency is at all on the table.

If it were though, Russell+Alzolay+low level fodder is fine, and more than enough. No more than that and certainly not Schwarber.
    If I am Theo I offer Happ instead of Russell. Happ, Alzolay and a low level guy. And that I would consider even without MM agreeing to an extension, if the Cubs are serious about looking into Harper or MM nest season.

Smoking too much

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post

Even with an extension, that proposed deal is wayyyy too much. Schwarber should not be dealt the way hes played so far. Hes been awesome. The deal you mention is much better.

If Machado agreed to an extension with the Cubs as part of the deal I would be laughing at a Russell-Adbert-+ return offer if I was the Orioles.

I can see where including Schwarber would be a bit much, but what about swapping him out for Happ? Would that be enough?
    Last edited by Cubs420; 05-09-2018 at 06:09 PM.

The real Pride of the Midwest

If Machado agreed to an extension with the Cubs as part of the deal I would be laughing at a Russell-Adbert-+ return offer if I was the Orioles.

I can see where including Schwarber would be a bit much, but what about swapping him out for Happ? Would that be enough?
    He's not going to sign a below free agent market rate extension.

If he signed a market rate extension you could just give him that money in December and keep your players, so even with the extension you are only trading for the rest of this season.

So you believe we should adda ton of extra value for the right to sign Machado to free market value or about 300M? That's not how things work, you don't give up more value to sign someone at FA prices.

That was never really the way the debate was. CubsIn18 made it that. The debate was originally fueled with "who's a better SS" with people saying that Baez was the better SS and was almost as good defensively as Russell.

I can't remember ever worrying about which I'd rather trade and I've said multiple times that the Cubs are better served both doing well, so I can't understand how I'd say that AND be advocating a trade. If anything, I advocated a trade using Happ.

Were there people who maybe got in that argument? Maybe. I don't know. It wasn't the argument that me and many got into, I can assure you that.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Page 23 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast