Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    Do we have a legit shot at Harper though? This team isnt cheap and is gonna cost even more sooner than later. I think our only hope was Heyward opting out and that's just not happening.
    I don't see why not. They bring in an outrageous amount of money, the new TV deal is still right around the corner, they reset the lux tax so they are fine going over for a couple years. After this year they have 3 years before half the roster hits free agency. They should go all in on winning as many WS as possible before then.

2018 Cubs FA/Trade Thread 1.0

Wrong thread.

Machado smoke is real and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsInBuffalo View Post
    Machado smoke is real and heavy.
    Sure thereís smoke...but Iíll wait for more, legit verified people to report it than Wittenmeyer.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Magic Number = 8!

Brewers C Stephen Vogt suffered a potential career-threatening injury during a rehab assignment.

Making a throw to 3rd, he damaged the anterior capsule, rotator cuff and labrum in his throwing arm.

Yikes...

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...source=dlvr.it
    Last edited by CubsRule08; 05-08-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Magic Number = 8!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Brewers C Stephen Vogt suffered a potential career-threatening injury during a rehab assignment.

Making a throw to 3rd, he damaged the anterior capsule, rotator cuff and labrum in his throwing arm.

Yikes...
    Wow thatís awful

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Can we dump Heyward if we attach Happ and Russell?
    If another team was willing to eat 70 percent of Heyward's contract I'd gladly give up Happ. Too much swing and miss in Happ's game for a team so bad in RISP situations.

One interesting thing I've noticed about Heyward though. I don't think I'm off base in thinking that he is by the far the team leader in hitting flyballs that sound good off the bat, but are pulled foul or go just short of the warning track. So progress is being made. Hopefully this continues and Theo can manage to deal 60+ million from that contract in the offseason.

PS: Kudos to Cubsin18 and BDawk for picking Baez over Russell in the offseason. Javy is hitting more and more to center and right field. Russell meanwhile continues to disappoint. If not for Baez being occasionally sloppy in the field Russell would be at risk of losing time at Short when the flyball prone pitchers are on the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Prior22 View Post
    If another team was willing to eat 70 percent of Heyward's contract I'd gladly give up Happ. Too much swing and miss in Happ's game for a team so bad in RISP situations.

One interesting thing I've noticed about Heyward though. I don't think I'm off base in thinking that he is by the far the team leader in hitting flyballs that sound good off the bat, but are pulled foul or go just short of the warning track. So progress is being made. Hopefully this continues and Theo can manage to deal 60+ million from that contract in the offseason.

PS: Kudos to Cubsin18 and BDawk for picking Baez over Russell in the offseason. Javy is hitting more and more to center and right field. Russell meanwhile continues to disappoint. If not for Baez being occasionally sloppy in the field Russell would be at risk of losing time at Short when the flyball prone pitchers are on the mound.
    No one "picked" anyone. If you've been paying attention, most have stated that the Cubs are best when both are doing well. The debate wasn't who is better, it's who's a better fit at SS, which even you mentioned was still Russell for his defense. That was the debate. It's faulty to state it any other way.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    You figure that out next year. Maybe you trade someone then. But not now for a rental. If you wait and trade Russell because Machado comes in and plays SS maybe you get a top 25 prospect and another top 100 prospect. All depends on how his season goes. 3 years of control on a 3WAR or better SS brings a lot back. Maybe Russell and Chatwood brings a solid pitcher. Maybe Schwarber gets traded and Bryant plays the outfield. Maybe Heyward finds a different home. Point is there are a lot of options. You don't just give a guy away because you have too many people. And dealing Russell for a 1/2 year of Machado is in essence giving him away, IMO.
    I agree 100%.

Let's just say for the sake of discussion that the O's give the Cubs the customary 72 hours to work out a long term deal with MM. Would you trade Russell if they are able to agree to a deal with MM?

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I agree 100%.

Let's just say for the sake of discussion that the O's give the Cubs the customary 72 hours to work out a long term deal with MM. Would you trade Russell if they are able to agree to a deal with MM?
    If the Oís do actually give a 72 hour window for an extension to complete the trade, then I can see Russell possibly getting moved in that deal...

...but in all likelihood, thereís no shot in hell that they will give the team trading for Machado that window. Not to mention, I still wouldnít trade Russell.
    Last edited by CubsRule08; 05-09-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Magic Number = 8!

I agree 100%.

Wonít happen, but still no. Oís wonít give the window and even less likely Machado signs. You are giving an asset away for a 1/2 year or less of a player based on a belief he MIGHT help in the playoffs. He could also have a terrrible playoff series. There is just not a scenario where I give away a 24 yr old SS with 3 more years on his deal and who even in a bad offensive year is still probably a 2.5WAR guy with the potential to be a 5WAR guy for a rental. And even if the Cubs could sign him now, this 1/2 season is a rental season. If they want to sign him do it next off season while you still have Russell or when you trade Russell for value beyond 2018.

Ok, here's my scenarios based on if we are actually going to get MM.

1 Sign him as a FA and lose nobody.

2 Trade a player(s) not named Addison Russell, and sign MM to long term contract before the trade is made.

3 Trade Russell for MM and sign MM to long term contract before the trade is made.

4 Do nothing at all.

If I had to guess, I would say that he does not get moved at all and the O's get a sup pick for losing him. Angelos still calls the shots over there, and he's very old and very out of touch with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    No one "picked" anyone. If you've been paying attention, most have stated that the Cubs are best when both are doing well. The debate wasn't who is better, it's who's a better fit at SS, which even you mentioned was still Russell for his defense. That was the debate. It's faulty to state it any other way.
    Speaking for me personally, this post isnít very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    A lot of people were debating on which player should be traded. Most people said they would have rather the Cubs traded Baez over Russell if they had to trade one.

Ok, here's my scenarios based on if we are actually going to get MM.

1 Sign him as a FA and lose nobody.

2 Trade a player(s) not named Addison Russell, and sign MM to long term contract before the trade is made.

3 Trade Russell for MM and sign MM to long term contract before the trade is made.

4 Do nothing at all.

If I had to guess, I would say that he does not get moved at all and the O's get a sup pick for losing him. Angelos still calls the shots over there, and he's very old and very out of touch with the game.
    Scenario 2 I would consider. If the Cubs could get MM with Happ as the centerpiece I would consider it. Even if they did not sign him long term. It would leave the off season open to Machado or Harper. If it is MM then Bryant goes to right with Heyward and Almora splitting center. If it is Harper then, obviously, he plays right and Heyward and Almora split center. And, if the O's want a guy with longer control Happ would be a better option. Might be why the Cubs are playing him more. Maybe Happ & Alzolay? The O's have to realize they are not going to get blown away on a MM trade. If they do nothing with him they get a sup pick. Might as well get the most they can get. And I am not sure teams will give more than this.

Page 22 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast