Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 112 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1808
    Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    If the O's don't trade Machado, it will assuredly be because Peter Angelos refuses to make a deal this big unless he's far and away the winner.
    Probably. I mean the Orioles are a mess. There's no telling what they do, in my mind.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    I'm curiously looking at numbers out of boredom. Guess who is who?

Player A - .279/.340/.419 - 1.5 fWAR
    Player B - .215/.368/.471 - 1.5 fWAR
    Player A - Jason Heyward
    Player B - Bryce Harper

Between Harperís 2016 and 2018 I would imagine heís screwed himself out of a lot of money come the offseason. But I still sign want the Cubs to sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Player A - Jason Heyward
    Player B - Bryce Harper

Between Harperís 2016 and 2018 I would imagine heís screwed himself out of a lot of money come the offseason. But I still sign want the Cubs to sign him.
    It's getting to the point where I'd be wary of another over $200 million for him

I'll pass on Harper at this point. We already got Heyward AND Darvish on the books. And our outfield is already flooded with people *****ing about playing time. Obviously you can make some trades to clear that up, but I just see Harper as more of a luxury (with a lot of risk attached) than something that's some slam dunk move that puts us on a new level. Also it may seem like a cynical point of view to take, but Dave's scenario in which we pay & trade Heyward to accomodate Harper, only to have Heyward outproduce him for some other team comes across as not all that far fetched to me.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 07-11-2018 at 01:16 PM.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

Meh. I'd take Harper in a heartbeat for the right price. I agree more of a luxury than a need, but I disagree that he doesn't put this team on another level.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    It's getting to the point where I'd be wary of another over $200 million for him
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I'll pass on Harper at this point. We already got Heyward AND Darvish on the books. And our outfield is already flooded with people *****ing about playing time. Obviously you can make some trades to clear that up, but I just see Harper as more of a luxury (with a lot of risk attached) than something that's some slam dunk move that puts us on a new level. Also it may seem like a cynical point of view to take, but Dave's scenario in which we pay & trade Heyward to accomodate Harper, only to have Heyward outproduce him for some other team comes across as not all that far fetched to me.
    Yeah, I said I would still sign him but on the right terms. The guy doesnít deserve the sort of money been talked about for him ($400-500M). At this stage he is ridiculously inconsistent and if the All Star game voters voted honestly and if this years wasnít in Washington, Harper shouldnít even make the team even as an emergency replacement.

But the off-season is a long time away and while we have talked about getting a Harper, Machado or Donaldson, maybe the FO is thinking more along the lines of signing a pitcher instead, of which there are some exciting ones to become FAís this year.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Magic Number = 8!

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I've been one of, if not the, biggest Heyward supporter here. But I just don't buy a situation where he out performs Harper realistically, over the next few years. I know Harper's been a little down this year, but there's some BABIP issues holding him back. His BABIP is .100 points below his career norm. He's walking at an insane rate this year and his K%, while up, is still acceptable. Truthfully, I think Harper's going to be just fine. He's got a .350 wOBA with a BABIP in the low .200's. Heyward's hitting better, but it should be noted, he'd had 1.5 years of defensive metrics that are lower than they had been (his range factor, in RF, is down for a second straight season), and even with his increased offense, he's still around a .330 wOBA against RHP.

I'm still in the "go get Bryce Harper" camp. He may not be transformative for the team, but he makes the offense that much better IMO.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I've been one of, if not the, biggest Heyward supporter here. But I just don't buy a situation where he out performs Harper realistically, over the next few years. I know Harper's been a little down this year, but there's some BABIP issues holding him back. His BABIP is .100 points below his career norm. He's walking at an insane rate this year and his K%, while up, is still acceptable. Truthfully, I think Harper's going to be just fine. He's got a .350 wOBA with a BABIP in the low .200's. Heyward's hitting better, but it should be noted, he'd had 1.5 years of defensive metrics that are lower than they had been (his range factor, in RF, is down for a second straight season), and even with his increased offense, he's still around a .330 wOBA against RHP.

I'm still in the "go get Bryce Harper" camp. He may not be transformative for the team, but he makes the offense that much better IMO.
    A lot of GMs are going to be losing sleep this fall trying to make sense of Harper's BABIP.

If shifting means a much lower BABIP is the new normal, especially for LH sluggers like Harper (and Rizzo), then that has some pretty major implications here.

Wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    A lot of GMs are going to be losing sleep this fall trying to make sense of Harper's BABIP.

If shifting means a much lower BABIP is the new normal, especially for LH sluggers like Harper (and Rizzo), then that has some pretty major implications here.
    I looked at the numbers with Rizzo, and honestly, I don't think his issue is the shift. He's got a small .20 point dip in BABIP on pullside hits, but his wOBA is .07 better than what he did last year. Rizzo has a .300 SLG to CF this year and a wOBA In the low 200's to center when last year he was around .400 wOBA there. I'd say he's probably lost a few linedrives up the middle, but Rizzo's issue seems to be very much that he's having issue driving the ball with authority to CF.

Harper, as well, just has low BABIP everywhere. He's got a .207 to CF and a .235 opposite field. He was well over .300 (and over .400 on opposite field hits) just last year. While he's always been better to the pullside, he seems to be simply struggling to get the ball to land this year. His hard contact is actually *up* this year. And while he's pulling the ball more than ever (which could play into the low BABIP issues to RF with the shift), it's not like he's rolling over, so his CF/RF numbers should be right on par where they've always been for rate stats. They too, are down. I think he's a very strong candidate for the "bad luck" tag.

I'm sure some of this is due to shifting, but I realistically think, for both of them, their issues are not mainly the shift. For Rizzo, it just seems to be as simple as "hit the ball hard up the middle" and for Harper it's just that nothing is falling regardless of where it goes. The shift shouldn't contribute to his BABIP being sucky in CF or, especially, opposite field. If anything we should see an increase to opposite field.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-11-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

So Iíve been offline all day and the first thing I read on Twitter is russell/Happ for DeGrom talk. Is this a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    So Iíve been offline all day and the first thing I read on Twitter is russell/Happ for DeGrom talk. Is this a thing?
    Looks like pure speculation. I've been against trading Russell but i'd move him + prospects for Degrom. Trading Russell and Happ would leave us kinda thin. I'm not sure they'd have the money left to put together a decent bench and stay under the tax. But for 2.5 years of Degrom i'm sure the Cubs would explore every option.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Meh. I'd take Harper in a heartbeat for the right price. I agree more of a luxury than a need, but I disagree that he doesn't put this team on another level.
    He's had ONE tremendous season in his career, and he wants to get paid like his whole career reflects that season.

For the money he is going to command, it's a big no for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Looks like pure speculation. I've been against trading Russell but i'd move him + prospects for Degrom. Trading Russell and Happ would leave us kinda thin. I'm not sure they'd have the money left to put together a decent bench and stay under the tax. But for 2.5 years of Degrom i'm sure the Cubs would explore every option.
    Can't see Russell and Happ in such a deal. And I feel that would be the asking price. However, it is tempting. If the Cubs feel Bote can fill in at 2nd and work with him LaStella and Zobrist at second they might be tempted. It would make sense that they are looking for a veteran outfielder. Also, don't forget, they have Coghlan in the system. Hate to lose Russell, but for deGrom it might be very interesting.