Patsy Montana
    Muddy Waters
    Howlin' Wolf
    Roy Acuff
    Lightnin' Hopkins
    Ernest Tubb
    John Lee Hooker
    Jimmy Reed

So what I did when I got old enought was find out who influensed them. Which took me back to the 20's.
    Your parents were cool as ****. I didn't find the blues until my teens.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Your parents were cool as ****. I didn't find the blues until my teens.
    Yes they are.

I do listen to most everything but I always come back to them old blues. I own all that prewar stuff, yep, primitive. A lot of these guys only recorded a record or two, then....poof!

Love some of those names....

Boweavil Jackson
    Peanut the Kidnapper
    Jaybird Coleman
    Ramblin' Thomas
    Black Ivory King

Yep, it's a pretty cool journey back in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Perriot View Post
    Yes they are.

I do listen to most everything but I always come back to them old blues. I own all that prewar stuff, yep, primitive. A lot of these guys only recorded a record or two, then....poof!

Love some of those names....

Boweavil Jackson
    Peanut the Kidnapper
    Jaybird Coleman
    Ramblin' Thomas
    Black Ivory King

Yep, it's a pretty cool journey back in time.
    Ha yeah. Lightin Hopkins is my fav as far as names. I know he's a bit played for most blues fans, but John Lee Hooker is my fav of all time. Love Muddy, Howlin Wolf, etc. but JLH has that especially grizzled voice that I never get tired of.

Hopkins is right there with Hooker and Wolf when it comes to postwar blues. Waters and BB King the top wrung of the ladder.

But....I'm with you on Hooker, that dark, gruff.....cool.

I;m a bit of an historian (if reading 12 big books on them blues makes ya one and owning all the music) and what is the most interesting aspect is those cats not found in any of those books. Those shadowing characters with but a record or two, yep...obscure.

As you know them blues made a huge impact on country, rock, jazz.

Pink Floyd got that name from old bluesmen PINK Anderson and FLOYD Council.

The Rolling Stones got that name from an old Muddy Waters tune.
    Last edited by Emerson Perriot; 04-24-2018 at 09:42 PM.

My mom loves anyone with a scratchy voice like Stevie Nicks, Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams, etc.

I ****ing hate Blues music for the most part. Country, blues, and southern rock are nails on a chalkboard to me. As is most top 40 past around the year 2000.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Dugmet Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I ****ing hate Blues music for the most part. Country, blues, and southern rock are nails on a chalkboard to me. As is most top 40 past around the year 2000.
    Yup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    ]

Nm It was Led Zep - Physical Grafitti

Such a fire *** album

My mom listened to bollywood music, a lot of it was cheesy, some of the old school stuff is dope tho

Hella you guys listened to cool *** music growing up, lol
    Last edited by nastynice; 07-06-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

My dad had two walls in the living room that were floor to ceiling vinyl. He listened to everything, far louder than neccessary, all the time. I appreciate it now, but it blew when I was a kid

My parents best friend owned a record shop so they had lots of vinyl from the late seventies like the Damned and Eno as well.There was also the reggae from the early seventies that got played a lot.Also a lot of punk zines(that didn't sell well at the record shop) laying around to read.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Such a fire *** album

My mom listened to bollywood music, a lot of it was cheesy, some of the old school stuff is dope tho

Hella you guys listened to cool *** music growing up, lol
    The "Benny Lava" video with dub over is amazing..

The dude in it (Deva?) is actually a pretty boss dancer.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    My dad liked folk music and neil young... Went to go see bob dylan and neil a bunch of times when I was in high school. Since then he's really taken on modern stuff... Wilco, the flaming lips, Gogol Bordello, Radiohead, REM, Courntney Barrnett, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Beatles and Elvis were at the top. Also the Stones, Credence, Floyd, Skynard, a lot of the girl groups of the 60s and Motown oldies. They had a huge record collection that I used to just look at over and over. I remember thinking the Sgt Pepper cover (and the picture disk) was the coolest thing ever, and the color disks (red and blue set) from the Beatles were amazing. The Wall had a lot of scenes from the movie. I think It was a Stones album where you could pull an insert from inside the cover and it would change what was in the cutout windows. They also had the Skynard "Street Survivors" album that came out I believe right before the plane crash and a couple members who died had fire coming out of their heads... They eventually released an edited version after the controversy and I think the original has decent value.

So many cool records I remember.

Nm It was Led Zep - Physical Grafitti

The record album covers were often part of the musical experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12