Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Guys that would have been excellent 3 point shooters today

What old players that didnít shoot 3s or very rarely shot 3s do you think would have been excellent 3 point shooters if they played now

Tom Chambers and Clifford Robinson come to mind. I also think Yao could have been a heck of a stand still shooter from 3- his form was beautiful. Who else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

If you put in the work, you can get better. Larry Johnson is a good example. Mainly a post up guy, dunking machine, strong as an ox and can jump out the gym. Once his back went out he put in the work and became respectable from range. I think guys with the work ethics would translate. Can't pin point in particular.

Anthony Mason could be another Draymond Green IMO. Both high IQ/Feel players with good feet movement for their size. Ball Handling and versatile offensively. Mason was the better post player though. I think he would step out his range and become a Draymond type shooter.

If we're talking pre-3-point era or very early 3-point era, the two obvious guys that come to mind are Jerry West and Rick Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

The answer is anyone because the offensive schemes lead to wide open looks...

I know it's obvious, but Jordan. The way the rules were in the 80s and 90s, you could flatten out the defense and force a single defender to try and guard MJ. All he had to do was beat one guy and pull up for a jumper, and that was the best shot available regardless where it was. Point being, MJ took a lot of 20ft shots. With current rules and zone D, he would take a ton more 3s instead of 20ft shots. On a tangent, that's what pisses me off when people point to MJ saying mid range is viable. He played under different rules. If you don't recognize that it's a different game now, you should stick to discussing basketball in sports bars and around the water cooler.

It's not how people remember it, but the vast majority of Reggie Miller's shots came 16-23ft. Again, rule changes. He would run off screens and force a switch, then pump fake, take a dribble past the jumping defender, and take an uncontested 20ft shot. He also loved the 18ft post up, turnaround fadeaway. Today with help defense that's a terrible shot, but in the 90s that was money. With his off ball movement and already great shooting stroke, in today's spacing he'd shoot 50%+ from 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    If you put in the work, you can get better. Larry Johnson is a good example. Mainly a post up guy, dunking machine, strong as an ox and can jump out the gym. Once his back went out he put in the work and became respectable from range. I think guys with the work ethics would translate. Can't pin point in particular.

Anthony Mason could be another Draymond Green IMO. Both high IQ/Feel players with good feet movement for their size. Ball Handling and versatile offensively. Mason was the better post player though. I think he would step out his range and become a Draymond type shooter.
    Al Horford is a good example as well. Horford fitst 7 seasons he never had more than 11 3pt attempts, this year for the celtics he has 220 attempts at a .432 shooting percent.
    "Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling." - Bill Belichick

mark price! dude was 3% off a career 40 50 90 average.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post

Mase had very funky form. I agree his game would translate well but I donít think he would ever be really good range shooter. Green isnít much of a shooter either so itís not a bad comparison just not really what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by MygirlhatesCod View Post
    mark price! dude was 3% off a career 40 50 90 average.
    Yeah, but he was already a spectacular 3-point shooter for his era. The idea here is to think of guys who weren't good 3-point shooters or rarely ever shot them who would be proficient beyond the 3-point line today.

Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    For some reason I don't see Chris Dudley out there knocking down 3's in any era haha

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Yeah, I think you're drastically overrating an athlete's ability to consistently hit a shot that far away just because he's open. That's like saying every big guy should be an excellent shot blocker or rebounder or every guard should be a great passer. Shooting is a skill just like anything else. Shaq and Dwight shot thousands of free throws over their careers and probably hundreds of thousands to millions when you include practice outside of games. That didn't make them great free throw shooters, and every one of those shots is wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    For some reason I don't see Chris Dudley out there knocking down 3's in any era haha
    Oh with a modern diet and training Duds would be money

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Yeah, I think you're drastically overrating an athlete's ability to consistently hit a shot that far away just because he's open. That's like saying every big guy should be an excellent shot blocker or rebounder or every guard should be a great passer. Shooting is a skill just like anything else. Shaq and Dwight shot thousands of free throws over their careers and probably hundreds of thousands to millions when you include practice outside of games. That didn't make them great free throw shooters, and every one of those shots is wide open.
    FT shooting is also psychological. I hear DJ and Dwight claim they made like double digits straight numerous times in practice.

Nick Anderson who was really good ft shooter choked a finals game against the Rockets with his fts, also went slumping for a bit after that incident.

I think putting in the work combined with confidence is what matters. Psychology is a big element is sports IMO.

But you do have a point more natural skill and ability really helps..

Never mind about Nick Anderson being really good. The guy was an average FT shooter for his time. But there were psychological effects of his debacle. I always though him and 3-d were both good marksmen and ft shooters on the Magic.
    Last edited by Heediot; 04-05-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    the idea that all players wouldn't adapt though is crazy... look at guys like Brooke Lopez

it's basically self preservation...

If the rules were the same now as then people would work much harder on their mid-range and post up game.

obviously when I said "anyone" it was hyperbole because the premise of the thread ignores the reality that players would have adapted... just like they have now

the idea that all players wouldn't adapt though is crazy... look at guys like Brooke Lopez

it's basically self preservation...

If the rules were the same now as then people would work much harder on their mid-range and post up game.

obviously when I said "anyone" it was hyperbole because the premise of the thread ignores the reality that players would have adapted... just like they have now
    It doesnít ignore it. It embraces it. I donít think Yao ever shot 3s. If he randomly decided to he probably wouldnít have been good from that range. If he played in an era where more bigs shot 3s I think he would have worked on it and been really good at it. On the other hand Chris Dudley was a brick layer so it wouldnít matter if worked on it.

Brook Lopez is more like a Rik Smits then Chris Dudley. Smits would be shooting 3s today

Last edited by ewing; 04-05-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast