Albies 4
    Freeman 3
    Markakis 9
    Tucker 7
    Swanson 6
    Flaherty 5
    Stewart 2
    Newcomb 1

Newcomb has been the better side for the most part getting strikes with the first pitch but some how has given up 4 runs in 2 innings.

Didn't see Newcomb's start unfortunately. Thought we would get some runs in the 5th but somehow screwed up a chance with 0 outs and runners on second and third. Stewart is a really bad hitter unfortunately. I hope that Suzuki and Flowers are able to return pretty quickly.

Newk wasn't bad. Had obvious issues with his secondary pitches but the nats simply put up good at-bats. He's got to find a way to get that curve down for strikes or else these type of outings will happen frequently.

The homer to Harper wasn't a bad pitch. He hit the spot Stewart wanted it...Harper just sat on it.

He and Freeman screwed themselves in the first inning. Freeman botched an easy grounder. Newk threw a frisbee in the stands. Turner was at 3rd before you knew it. Hendrick hit a liner off the RF wall..Inciarte made a fantastic play to not only cover but threw a dime to nail Harper at the plate...but Stewart couldn't catch. Down 2-0 before you knew it.

We've had some shots offensively but Freeman got doubled off at 2nd on an ill-advised blooper at SS to end an inning. Then just recently we had runners on 2nd and 3rd with nobody out (6-1 game)...Flathery struck out...and two come-backs to the pitcher. No one scored.

Nothing noteworthy on offense. At-bats been pretty mediocre against a decent starter.

Not too upset with Newk though. Can't wait till Flowers comes back..helps this pitching staff tremendously. An upgrade offensively too.

Meanwhile, these Nats announcers remain deplorable in every aspect..making any Nats/Braves game I get the chance to watch...just f'in miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Didn't see Newcomb's start unfortunately. Thought we would get some runs in the 5th but somehow screwed up a chance with 0 outs and runners on second and third. Stewart is a really bad hitter unfortunately. I hope that Suzuki and Flowers are able to return pretty quickly.
    He's the same Newcomb, his curveball was all over the place the first two innings, no command at all, it went better as the game goes on but the damage has been done. We need to get Ozzie going, he's swinging way too much.

another note. I don't know how Snitker didn't challenge in the 5th with a severino roller, with the bases loaded, to dansby with a great stretch from Freeman.

Was a bang bang play but on the replay could of been overturned. You have absolutely nothing to lose in that situation. Down 4, 2 outs, you have challenges...what are you saving them for? Essentially just gave them a run for no reason and could of been worse.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    Newk wasn't bad. Had obvious issues with his secondary pitches but the nats simply put up good at-bats. He's got to find a way to get that curve down for strikes or else these type of outings will happen frequently.

The homer to Harper wasn't a bad pitch. He hit the spot Stewart wanted it...Harper just sat on it.

He and Freeman screwed themselves in the first inning. Freeman botched an easy grounder. Newk threw a frisbee in the stands. Turner was at 3rd before you knew it. Hendrick hit a liner off the RF wall..Inciarte made a fantastic play to not only cover but threw a dime to nail Harper at the plate...but Stewart couldn't catch. Down 2-0 before you knew it.

We've had some shots offensively but Freeman got doubled off at 2nd on an ill-advised blooper at SS to end an inning. Then just recently we had runners on 2nd and 3rd with nobody out (6-1 game)...Flathery struck out...and two come-backs to the pitcher. No one scored.

Nothing noteworthy on offense. At-bats been pretty mediocre against a decent starter.

Not too upset with Newk though. Can't wait till Flowers comes back..helps this pitching staff tremendously. An upgrade offensively too.

Meanwhile, these Nats announcers remain deplorable in every aspect..making any Nats/Braves game I get the chance to watch...just f'in miserable.
    Why do you watch the Nats announcers? I use either Reddit to find a stream if I'm on the computer or use the MLB tv app and you get to choose which stream you want to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    He's the same Newcomb, his curveball was all over the place the first two innings, no command at all, it went better as the game goes on but the damage has been done. We need to get Ozzie going, he's swinging way too much.
    Dang, that's too bad because he looked really solid during the spring I thought. Maybe he'll get it figured out. Yeah Ozzie is swinging a lot. He's had some really good moments and at bats, but otherwise has not really gotten it going consistently. Though last night that shot back to Roark would normally be a single, I'm not sure how Roark handled that one.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    another note. I don't know how Snitker didn't challenge in the 5th with a severino roller, with the bases loaded, to dansby with a great stretch from Freeman.

Was a bang bang play but on the replay could of been overturned. You have absolutely nothing to lose in that situation. Down 4, 2 outs, you have challenges...what are you saving them for? Essentially just gave them a run for no reason and could of been worse.
    I agree. There was no point in not challenging the play and it looked like they may have gotten it into the glove a hair before the step was down. 5-1 is a lot better than 6-1.

Man what a terrible start by Teheran. I'm starting to think he has lost it. He's only got an 89 MPH fastball this year. I don't get what's happened with him. But he can barely even throw a strike tonight.

You know Julio is off when he is giving up home runs to the pitcher too. My God. I wonder if he is injured? His velocity is just way down.

Yup, terrible game by Julio. 2.1 IP, 6 hits, 3 walks, and 5 earned runs. Yikes. He's out now. Carle in.

Great move by Snitker. Julio had no business staying in there any longer. Carle got put in a tough spot but he did a great job getting out of it.

I don't ever want to see Julio and #1 starter/ace as a label for him again. The guy is a #4 starter honestly.

So, 3-7 has become a regular Murderers' Row with Freeman, Markakis, Tucker, Swanson, and Flaherty. I think we all saw that coming.

Seriously, I do feel for Tucker and Flaherty. Both are going to the bench sooner than later, but it is good to have some depth on the bench.

I am happy to see Swanson starting the season like this. Compared to his form last season, he looks like a MVP candidate.

Two really great D plays by Flaherty and Albies in a row to save runs in the 7th.

What a difference having Albies in front of Freeman. That kid can hit and his OBP and speed helps Freddie. Also helps that Albies got hits from the left side. Ozzie’s AB in the 5th was special. 12 pitches, hustle double...he is somethings by special.

Tucker is earning a bench spot & prime DH spot with his play. His bat is solid. Good for him and something ATL needs.

Flaherty is hot, but we know it won’t hold. It does give Snitker a good option to go with Camargo.

Looks like Swanson may be on track to produce like ATL hoped. If that is true, that’s a huge piece for ATL. Having Acuna, Albies, Inciarte, Freeman, and Swanson all in place and producing is a really good starting point.

JT - ouch. He seems to be spiraling out of control. He is nothing more than a #3 at this point and might be dropping from that. His fall has been hard the last year plus.

This team will certainly slow down, but they are fun. If Acuna can produce well (not great) this lineup starts to get pretty deep. That basically leaves to rotation needing some attention for this team to be competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offense is definitely surprising us so far, and with Acuna you have to imagine it'll be even better if he can provide any protection for Freeman. If Freeman gets pitches in the strike zone he can take advantage of it, so that'd be awesome.

I really don't know what's up with Teheran. The most worrying thing for me is his drop in velocity. He should be throwing around 91 or 92 on his fast balls but he is only hitting around 87 to 88. He touched 90 once last night on a badly missed throw, that's it. I'm just wondering if he's hurt or something.

Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast