Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    Saw a tweet today that Kratz has been one of the better defenders.

And Iím fine with the schoop deal. I agree that obp is significantly more valuable than batting average. But I feel like at times weíve swung a little far in that. Slugging and overall offense is still important. Thatís why I love stats like wRC+. Itís the full offensive profile all together. Batting average is flawed since it doesnít account for walks or extra bases. Obp is flawed because it doesnít account for extra bases. Slugging is better than average, but still doesnít include walks and arbitrarily assigns a double being worth 2 singles. Ops is the best of the bunch, but still uses slugging as an input, which artificially assigns the value of each extra base hit.

Thatís why I think wRC+ is the best. It uses data from all around baseball to determine what how every action impacts a teams runs. It factors in everything and uses true data to weight each batting event. And according to wRC+, schoop as a whole has been superior to villar at the plate in their careers. And schoop has graded out positively at 2nd 4 out of his 5 seasons thatís heís gotten at least 200 at bats. Villar has only graded our positively 1 out of 5 seasons. Granted villar has been playing more short, but I donít think itís accurate to say villar is a better defender.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 08-06-2018 at 07:12 PM.

I don't mind the Schoop deal either, he was a 5 WAR last year and injuries did derail his 1st half. If is obp. is over .300 and he hits with power and plays decent defense he is a well above average hitter. It doesn't make great sense with Moose, Shaw, and him but it does for next year, he is only 26 and a new hitting coach can slightly adjust his philosophy and get a couple more walks out of him (not a lot probably).

The more I thought about it the more I liked it. I donít know that Ortiz was the prospect he used to be anymore. Heís banged up all the time and can never really throw many innings. And he doesnít strike a ton of guys out. His walk numbers are okay, but nothing special.

Honestly, Ortiz sort of reminds me a wily peralta. He has a big fastball and a decent slider. His third pitch might be better than what peralta ever had. But remember, peralta was a bigger body pitcher who was on a few top prospect lists. He was also on the younger side of things through most levels like Ortiz. Ortiz can still be good, but heís the only real prospect we lost.

And moose and schoop deepen the lineup. Moose has been swinging it okay and schoop provides a righty bat, which we are lacking. I really like the way we are building a team to take advantage of matchups and weíll always have a decent bat to pinch hit. Iím starting to like the deal for both, especially if schoop gets going.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    The more I thought about it the more I liked it. I donít know that Ortiz was the prospect he used to be anymore. Heís banged up all the time and can never really throw many innings. And he doesnít strike a ton of guys out. His walk numbers are okay, but nothing special.

Honestly, Ortiz sort of reminds me a wily peralta. He has a big fastball and a decent slider. His third pitch might be better than what peralta ever had. But remember, peralta was a bigger body pitcher who was on a few top prospect lists. He was also on the younger side of things through most levels like Ortiz. Ortiz can still be good, but heís the only real prospect we lost.

And moose and schoop deepen the lineup. Moose has been swinging it okay and schoop provides a righty bat, which we are lacking. I really like the way we are building a team to take advantage of matchups and weíll always have a decent bat to pinch hit. Iím starting to like the deal for both, especially if schoop gets going.
    I said earlier the Schoop deal I think makes a lot of sense for next year. Don't mind who they gave up either. Brewers should have no problem going for a big pinch-hit early if it makes it to the postseason. I hope Arcia hits a little bit because his defense is very valuable.

If Arcia isn't hitting at all like in first half then Schoop might be playing short and Brewers go with offensive lineup in first few innings.

I hope Aguilar starts to get things turned around. Him and Yelich have carried the team offensively with crazy hot stretches and Cain has been very steady. If this team starts getting production from others look out. Thames has been good when healthy also. This is about as long as a slump as I'd see Aguilar having. Typically his ABs are so good and he's starting to walk now which is a good sign.

Like Iíve said a couple times before. Aguilar was actually pretty bad last year in the 2nd half. He got a few big hits if I remember correctly, but he had a noticeable 2nd half drop.

Heís earned the chance to get a bunch of at bats due to his crazy 1st half. But I donít think itís a bad idea to sneak in more off days and spread the at bats around.

And I think thatís one of the underrated aspects of the deals we made. We had virtually no depth. Our depth was primarily defensive help. But if someone, mainly Shaw or Aguilar were to struggle in the 2nd half, we had no one to pick them up or allow them to slide in the order. While itís still plausible we go into cold stretches, we at least have guys like schoop and moose who are capable of being very good hitters when hot.

Like Iíve said a couple times before. Aguilar was actually pretty bad last year in the 2nd half. He got a few big hits if I remember correctly, but he had a noticeable 2nd half drop.

Heís earned the chance to get a bunch of at bats due to his crazy 1st half. But I donít think itís a bad idea to sneak in more off days and spread the at bats around.

And I think thatís one of the underrated aspects of the deals we made. We had virtually no depth. Our depth was primarily defensive help. But if someone, mainly Shaw or Aguilar were to struggle in the 2nd half, we had no one to pick them up or allow them to slide in the order. While itís still plausible we go into cold stretches, we at least have guys like schoop and moose who are capable of being very good hitters when hot.
    I got you and agree Aguilar should be getting more off days than he was. So on fire couldn't sit him and he'll have most ABs he's ever had.

But you are creating depth at a position you had depth at...it wasn't quality depth but still lol. Villar not terrible but can't carry an offense. They do have some guys that can carry the team but it will be basically 3 guys for 2 positions...Shaw Moose, Schoop (who primarily will be 2B not SS) with Hernan taking some PT also.

Is this the beginning of the end? Loose 2 out of 3 to the Padres and get blown out in game one to the Braves.

Hopefully not, it does feel a little similar to last year that the pen is overworked and the offense isn't consistent. However this team is immensely different having Cain and Yeli to be more consistent on offense and more quality arms in the pen. It is definitely time for Peralta to get replaced in the rotation. Teams have enough tape to see that he doesn't control his curveball and sit on a good fastball which he throws 75% of the time. I still think he can be a 2/3 type pitcher if he gets the curveball control down and develops a 3rd pitch that he can throw at least 10% of the time.

It is nice to see Braun playing well over the past couple weeks, I know Braun and Thames on paper make a nice platoon but I would almost be inclined to give Braun almost everyday reps like 3 out of 4. I think Counsil has done a pretty good job with the lineup otherwise. Also Domingo Santana has been really hot in AAA the past week or 2, I know there aren't any AB's for him but it's good to see he has a little power coming back.
    Last edited by jay87shot; 08-12-2018 at 01:26 PM.

As a whole, Counsell has done a good jo of managing, but sometimes he has some head scratchers. Burnes in back to back games is probably a bad idea as a guy who isnít used to relieving. And unless this thing goes to extras, we are going to finish with either Thames or Shaw and Arcia on the bench in a game chacin got a pinch hit appearance. I think sometimes counsell outthinks himself.

As a whole, Counsell has done a good jo of managing, but sometimes he has some head scratchers. Burnes in back to back games is probably a bad idea as a guy who isnít used to relieving. And unless this thing goes to extras, we are going to finish with either Thames or Shaw and Arcia on the bench in a game chacin got a pinch hit appearance. I think sometimes counsell outthinks himself.
    I somewhat expected crew to take lumps on this roadie at ATL, at CHC, at STL who is on fire. Split with Cubs and don't get swept in STL. Then take care of biz vs. the Reds and Pitt. 9 straight vs. them. Need to go 6-3 at worst IMO. The Padres series was rough can't have any more series Ls vs. bad teams.

Agree crewfan, also on the Chacin move, why not just have Chase hit if you don't want to use a position player? Having a cold starter come in....say Chacin got hurt, that would have been a terrible scenario.

Chase is must have been onthe juice last year. Was throwing 96-97 now not hitting 94. THe pen is getting worn down. I agree pen been managed pretty well but now two starters aren't even counted on to go 5 and chase hasn't in like 3 of last 4 starts. Guerra and Peralta have like 90 pitches after 4 or 5 innings.

On the offensive side, Yelich has been unreal in 2nd half and carried the team after Aguilar did for two months. The bottom line is if Yelich or Aguilar doesn't come through big then no one is likely to. The bottom of the order is still putrid. Cain hasn't had an RBI in August and must be hitting over .300. Pina is 7 for 58 with RISP. Things aren't trending in a great direction and it will be hard to keep faith when Cubs and Cards smack Crew around but if they can bounce back on homestand and wax Reds and Pirates they can still be in pretty good shape.

Problem is we could really use an ace. The theory of what weíve been doing, having the starter go 5 and follow with relievers makes sense. But thereís also more room for error there, since all it takes is one guy to struggle to get tagged for a bunch of runs.

Itís hard to find, but man it would be awesome to get an ace who can take a struggling team and give you 8 innings of 1 rum ball and turn it over to the closer. Instead, itís a mashup for 5 innings, then hader, Jeffers and soria in an ideal world. And while thatís fine, it only takes one of four guys to struggle to get the loss.

And the offense has been hit or miss, but even when theyíre ďonĒ like yesterday they canít quite get the big hit. Frustrating to watch but thereís still plenty of time to step up and make a good run.

Problem is we could really use an ace. The theory of what weíve been doing, having the starter go 5 and follow with relievers makes sense. But thereís also more room for error there, since all it takes is one guy to struggle to get tagged for a bunch of runs.

Itís hard to find, but man it would be awesome to get an ace who can take a struggling team and give you 8 innings of 1 rum ball and turn it over to the closer. Instead, itís a mashup for 5 innings, then hader, Jeffers and soria in an ideal world. And while thatís fine, it only takes one of four guys to struggle to get the loss.

And the offense has been hit or miss, but even when theyíre ďonĒ like yesterday they canít quite get the big hit. Frustrating to watch but thereís still plenty of time to step up and make a good run.
    That is one of the most overlooked things by people imo who say well that's what makes sense and it's true with the makeup of Brewers rotation 5 innings. Everyone says the ace is big for the playoff, well, you have to ********* get there first. An ace has that big start to rest the pen (basically). Goes 7 or 8. Ends losing streaks, goes on bananas stretches of 6-0 with 1.3 era etc. An ace is far more valuable during the regular season than in the one-game playoff where there is no guarantee you won't need to pitch the ace the last game of the reg. season just to get into a one-game playoff.

But as you've said before too crewfan there aren't many bullpens that have more than 4 good relievers. Brewers pen is taxed. Knebel has lost the curve and for a two-pitch pitcher = uh-oh. Soria on DL. Albers been dogs*** since June. Barnes is scary. Basically Jefress Hader that are lock down.

Now, Peralta, Guerra, Anderson seemingly 5-6 innings is as good as it gets. Anderson has gone past 6 innings twice since April. Guerra and Peralta typically have high pitch counts. Things looking bad right now but if season ended today Brewers would be in the playoffs. Need to grind out this road trip with at least two wins vs. Cubs, Cards. Then go home and take care of business.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324