Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    How about that debut by Burnes? A save. That's damn rare in a debut. Odd time in today's day for a debut but cool to see way he handled it.
    It was cool to see. He gave up 3 hard hit balls I think but 2 of them were on the ground.

I mean, 20 of thames 38 hits have been extra bases. And 7 of his 25 non home run hits have been doubles or triples. Compare this to villar whos 17 of 65 hits being homers and 11 our of 59 non homers being extra bases, thats a lot of bases in total.

And it does come down to villar like you said. You like him and think hes fine. To me, hes a subpar offensive player. I dont want more at bats out of him. Tonight is a perfect example of that how thames on base skills set the table for everyone else.

Like you said, you want thames in more of a run producing role. And no doubt sliding him down to 6 puts him in a position to drive in more runs. But it comes at the expense of everyone in front of him. They all now have less guys in for them. And in your mind, villar is good enough to still get on base enough to offset that. To me, he doesnt. Id rather worry about letting yellich, Cain, Shaw and Aguilar try to drive thames in then thames driving those guys in.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I mean, 20 of thames 38 hits have been extra bases. And 7 of his 25 non home run hits have been doubles or triples. Compare this to villar whos 17 of 65 hits being homers and 11 our of 59 non homers being extra bases, thats a lot of bases in total.

And it does come down to villar like you said. You like him and think hes fine. To me, hes a subpar offensive player. I dont want more at bats out of him. Tonight is a perfect example of that how thames on base skills set the table for everyone else.

Like you said, you want thames in more of a run producing role. And no doubt sliding him down to 6 puts him in a position to drive in more runs. But it comes at the expense of everyone in front of him. They all now have less guys in for them. And in your mind, villar is good enough to still get on base enough to offset that. To me, he doesnt. Id rather worry about letting yellich, Cain, Shaw and Aguilar try to drive thames in then thames driving those guys in.
    Yeah I see your point for sure. Especially if Shaw is out with ankle because if Aguilar doesn't hit it over the fence he's likely to be stranded. I think if Thames hits the ball as you said for extra base hits the offense would score more runs. He has set the table. He's done well at the top. He gets on base. But the problem is he's not getting any RBI chances. I am not sure what the best option is but to me Saladino or HP or Miller hitting 5 is worse than Villar hitting lead off. But I could be wrong too. Villar isn't the best option to lead off. THat's not what I am saying. But I think as often as Cain, Yelich, Aguilar, even Shaw get on (nearly 90 points higher OBP than avg.) I think Thames gives the team the best option for a big inning with his pop with guys on. Again Villar isn't the best option its just frustrating watching Aguilar, Shaw left standing at 2B. This team needs more depth to lineup as 2B, C, SS have been subpar.

Yea, I think a rental at 2nd is fairly likely. SS and C are probsbly more needed, but the only real options out their that are major upgrades and those spots at machado and realmulto, who are going to be very costly. Eduardo Escobar could be had at SS, which we are apparently in talks about, but outside of that, the guys who are probably gettable arent really world beaters. They could have a hotish 2nd half and be good but they are probably just as likely to be cold and not represent much of an upgrade.

But 2nd has a few more names that can likely be had for a little more reasonable price than realmulto and machado. A guy like Brian dozier, whos having a tough first half but has a decent track record of success could likely be had for pretty cheap. And he seems due for some positive regression in the 2nd half.

Yea, I think a rental at 2nd is fairly likely. SS and C are probsbly more needed, but the only real options out their that are major upgrades and those spots at machado and realmulto, who are going to be very costly. Eduardo Escobar could be had at SS, which we are apparently in talks about, but outside of that, the guys who are probably gettable arent really world beaters. They could have a hotish 2nd half and be good but they are probably just as likely to be cold and not represent much of an upgrade.

But 2nd has a few more names that can likely be had for a little more reasonable price than realmulto and machado. A guy like Brian dozier, whos having a tough first half but has a decent track record of success could likely be had for pretty cheap. And he seems due for some positive regression in the 2nd half.
    I think Ramos from Rays could be had pretty cheap at catcher. But he's a double play machine. Does have pop though. A's have Lucroy but he seems like he's not close to same player he was in MKE and OAK been on fire also.

I saw a tweet yesterday that lucroy was graded out as the 2nd worst defensive catcher in total runs saved and is hitting like .248 with a sub .300 obp and a pathetic slugging percentage. Not sure how you can plummet off a cliff as bad as he has since he left Milwaukee, but hes been awful.

Wilson Ramos definitely makes sense, although hed be an expensive half season rental from a financial perspective as hes owed like $5 mill yet I think. But thats not awful by any means if he continues to play like he has. Robinson chirinos is a guy who makes sense to me too. Hes faltered at the plate a little this year, but hes cheap and has a decent track record of at least being okay. And he can likely be had for virtually nothing.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 07-12-2018 at 03:58 PM.

I saw a tweet yesterday that lucroy was graded out as the 2nd worst defensive catcher in total runs saved and is hitting like .248 with a sub .300 obp and a pathetic slugging percentage. Not sure how you can plummet off a cliff as bad as he has since he left Milwaukee, but hes been awful.

Wilson Ramos definitely makes sense, although hed be an expensive half season rental from a financial perspective as hes owed like $5 mill yet I think. But thats not awful by any means if he continues to play like he has. Robinson chirinos is a guy who makes sense to me too. Hes faltered at the plate a little this year, but hes cheap and has a decent track record of at least being okay. And he can likely be had for virtually nothing.
    Well any offense would be welcome. 5 runs is a breakout for this team. Even when Crew wins 10-3, they score 5 in 9th so pretty much all good relievers still pitch. This offense is so frustrating. I get it's a sign of the times but still.

Jesus Aguilar is the Brewers offense. Only one that knocks in runs consistently. Cain doesn't get many opportunities with bottom of order being so bad. What a disaster in Pittsburgh. Worst case scenario with first month-plus after AS break is pretty brutal schedule.

I mean, we are going into the all star break with the most wins in the national league and right in the hunt of things. Id hardly call that worst case scenario. The last week has been bad, but we are right in the thick of things and thats about as good as you can ask for.

I mean, we are going into the all star break with the most wins in the national league and right in the hunt of things. Id hardly call that worst case scenario. The last week has been bad, but we are right in the thick of things and thats about as good as you can ask for.
    Just meant worst case scenario from road trip. Pittsburgh wasn't playing well and just beating down Brewers. Losing 6 of 7 so far in Pitt and MIA with rough schedule following break. As for first half as a whole I think Brewers should feel pretty good with Braun, Shaw struggling under .250; ANderson mediocre at best, Davies and Nelson bringing nothing really; No offense from C, SS.

I wouldn't trade for Machado. This team has too many holes. If he was the move that'd put them over the top I'd say ok. But seems like price is getting more steep.

I guess my point was more this happens to basically everyone. Like 2 of the last 3 World Series champs had at least a 5 game losing streak. Nothing has really changed in the past week for me. The team is still the same.

I think the price for machado is going up, but I think its also partially because everyone kind of low balled Baltimore, especially since it was rumored Baltimore wasnt going to trade him before the all star game. So everyone came in low to try to get them to agree in principle to something lower.

I dont think Id pay the price it will cost for machado, but Id be excited if they made the deal. Hed make a huge difference for this team.

Really frustrating to see our strongest suit, our bullpen, melt down and lose us another for a 5 game sweep. But that being said, we just played 21 games in 22 days, which should be the longest stretch at 10-11. Not ideal but not horrible either.

Weve seen this story before with the brewers playing well early then giving up a division lead, but well see how this team responds. Getting everyone healthy would be big, and hopefully Shaw in particular can have a rebound 2nd half. Yellich has been kinda cool lately but had a good day today.

Really frustrating to see our strongest suit, our bullpen, melt down and lose us another for a 5 game sweep. But that being said, we just played 21 games in 22 days, which should be the longest stretch at 10-11. Not ideal but not horrible either.

Weve seen this story before with the brewers playing well early then giving up a division lead, but well see how this team responds. Getting everyone healthy would be big, and hopefully Shaw in particular can have a rebound 2nd half. Yellich has been kinda cool lately but had a good day today.
    Yep. I was expecting a slump in early August with West Coast trip and tough opponents for first month following break other than 1 Padres series. So was hoping would build or hold a lead because figured they'd sink back to earth - never felt this was a near 20-over .500 team watching - and have a lose 8 of 10 stretch. This next stretch will go a long way. If Brewers over next say 25 games can go 13-12 or 12-13 will help a lot. The schedule is brutal. I hope the Brewers make a move or two at the deadline. I agree with you that don't think Machado alone wins MKE the WS or anything but i'd still be excited for him to play 60 games with the BRewers and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Yep. I was expecting a slump in early August with West Coast trip and tough opponents for first month following break other than 1 Padres series. So was hoping would build or hold a lead because figured they'd sink back to earth - never felt this was a near 20-over .500 team watching - and have a lose 8 of 10 stretch. This next stretch will go a long way. If Brewers over next say 25 games can go 13-12 or 12-13 will help a lot. The schedule is brutal. I hope the Brewers make a move or two at the deadline. I agree with you that don't think Machado alone wins MKE the WS or anything but i'd still be excited for him to play 60 games with the BRewers and see what happens.
    I think the brewers will need to do something to make the playoffs. The team as is, will not get in, IMO. And even doing something, I doubt they pass the Cubs. But getting in as a WC is just one win away from giving themselves a chance for anything to happen. I expect them to go for it, but doubt anything they do will get them past the Cubs for the division.

Need a catcher than can hit!

Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast