Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Good to have Saladino back. Hopefully that means the end of Miller at SS for the most part.

a really good game tonight ChacŪn really stepped up tonight and tightened it up after the rough first inning. The pen really needed that 7 inning performance and being able to just use Jennings tonight was perfect.

They insurance runs in the 8th were big for my mental health too. Lol.

Iím not going to get my hopes up that saladino is going to hit like he did before he got hurt, but even if he can play slightly above average defense with a slightly below average bat, heís an upgrade over what we have been trotting out there.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I wouldnít say theyíre neccesarily burned out. They just used their big guns enough recently that they need a day off. Getting a big time starter would help that, but even if the big time guy goes 7, youíre still using 2 top relievers in a close game.

Just as important for us to start getting some 7-2 types of wins so we can let dan Jennings and Taylor Williams finish the last two innings. Or let Adrian houser throw the 2+ innings in a decent win. Donít get me wrong, Iíd love an ace, but we just need to get a few wins by 4+, which would require the offense to break out. Hopefully the emergence of Miller, plus the potential return Cain and saladino and better heath from Shaw and yellich gets that offense back in business.
    Donít wanna brag, but do you see the score I posted yesterday afternoon. I should probably keep this going and say we could use a couple more 11-3 wins now too.

Donít wanna brag, but do you see the score I posted yesterday afternoon. I should probably keep this going and say we could use a couple more 11-3 wins now too.
    Well done crewfan! Yeah a few more 11-3 games be nice lol. I was happy Sogard finally gone. Then the win, great day haha and my offseason addition for Crew in Chacin - which I believe you were anti-Chacin IIRC crewfan - is balling. 7-3. Couldn't havepredicted he'd be this good, though. I think the Brewers could get some rentals in Ramos or Lucroy and Lowrie or I wonder if Lemahieu from the Rox is available?

This team continues to pitch phenomenal. Hopefully can win 2 of next 3 vs. Braves. People stepping up enough most games offensively like Hernan last night. Man is Braun brutal this year. Seems to just want to make contact. Afraid to K. Will his 2-week hot stretch to carry the team come this year?

I went back and looked at the offseason thread and I was good with chacin. Read an article around that time too that he was a good upside candidate because he has some interesting peripherals but his pitch sequencing was odd. And I know outside of here I defended him as well.

My only ďconcernĒ with the chacin signing was if that was our only offseason move I would have been frustrated. Turns out we went on to add Cain and yellich, and those moves were good.

As for chacin himself, heís been better than expected to a extent. I believe at the beginning of the year I predicted to a friend that I expect him to be a 3.8-4.2 era guy who throws 150-180 innings. Given his history, I thought that should be a reasonable expectation. Still probably a reasonable outcome for him, but outside of a couple blowups early, heís largely been really good.

AH OK. Thought someone was saying he pitched in Petco so he would give up ton more HRs in Miller Park. Maybe was elsewhere. Sorry crewfan! Keep the predictions coming! It is going to be very interesting the roster moves this team makes when Cain and Miley and Davies come back. Guessing Broxton wll be one of the moves going down. He still has been mediocre at best at the plate with one great game in Cincy, but Broxton is great defensively. Has saved a number of runs in his short stint in MKE this year.

Orf or Perez go for sure, with orf being more likely. Broxton would be a nice 4th OF, but I donít think you can keep him up unless you get rid of villar. And that seems risky in case Miller or saladino fall off. And the rotation should be interesting. Peralta has been alternating between awesome and shaky, so itís probably him. Plus it can save some innings for Freddy.

Those 3 make the most sense to me. Zagursky can be gone too, but itís more likely that heís a swap candidate for a house or reliever.

As for the rotation, Miley probably takes Peraltas spot for now. And Iím not sure who Davies takes. These things sometimes work themselves out, but suter is the obvisous next choice since heís been decent in relief as well, but heís been surprisingly solid.

And chacin has always had very odd splits. Heís always been much better at home than on the road. And while that makes sense at petco, he also had much better home than road splits in his time in Colorado as well, which doesnít make much sense.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 07-06-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Ya, Iím not married to Broxton, Orf, Perez, Kratz or Zagurski on this roster.

Obviously Cain will take one of those spots in the next couple days.

Theyíll get Miley Back and he seems to be a likely candidate to get a start In the double header next weekend. Stearns was on the bill michaels show today and said he will have one more rehab start this weekend and then be ready to come back. Need a 40 man spot for him and a 25 man spot for him. Theyíll get an extra roster spot for the double header, but may need an 8 man bullpen to get through that day.

The rest of those roster spots are definitely areas for improvement. Those could come internally though. Santana, Arcia, Burnes, Davies, Woodruff, Nelson, and Houser are the most likely to provide some sort of value the rest of the way.

Ideally, one middle infielder and a time share time guy with a good bat at catcher would be great.

Iím less interested in a SP than I was a few weeks ago. A RP could still be helpful especially if they roll with an 8 man pen for the majority of July. Once they get to August and September they have off days every week so that 8 man pen is probably less important especially if they skip starters here and there.

For me, Iím still interested in an ace. In the postseason, an ace can go a long way to winning a series if he goes wild. Look at what mad bum has done. Obvisously thereís no guarantee that an ace does that, but if you get a guy who can almost single handedly give you two wins in a 7 game series, then winning 2 of the other 5 isnít so daunting. So acquiring that type of guy is still intriguing to me. But getting an okay starter doesnít intrigue me much. Either shoot for the moon or stay the course with what we have (unless a rental asking price is super cheap).

Agree on catcher. Getting a vet who can play okay defense and hit a little would be huge. Seems like the types of guys weíve gotten in the past are one of the extremes or the other. Either itís a Vogt who can swing it alittle but canít throw or itís a guy with no stick.

Middle infield is interesting to me. Outside of machado, the guys available are kind of wildcards. Thereís a chance saladino is as good as any of those guys but thereís a chance they have a big 2nd half. Either way youíre betting a a small sample size of success or a guy getting hot. And 2nd could use an upgrade as well, but do you do anything more than a rental? Hiura may be ready by mid next year, so you donít really need a guy like merrifield right now unless you move hiura.

I just donít see where an ace type pitcher is coming from.

deGrom and Syndergaard probably arenít getting traded and Iím not convinced the Brewers really have what it takes to acquire either one without Hader being involved.

Archer probably isnít a true ace even if heís better than anyone else currently on the roster. He will be back from the injury soon, but he probably wonít get traded at the deadline this year.

Fulmer isnít an ace and I donít see why the Tigers would trade him.

Obviously we donít really know who is available and who isnít l, but I just donít see where an Ace comes from.

Theoretically doubling down on the bullpen might be smarter. Add a Guy like Familia.

I think thereís a legit chance one of the Mets get dealt. Itís probably going to take hiura, burnes and peralta, which a lot would be opposed to, but Iíd be willing to consider it.

Davies had a set back and is likely out till August/September, so I wouldn't consider him as one of your SP rotation anymore than Jimmy Nelson at this point. That leaves Chacin, Anderson, Guerra as your 3 decent starters and likely Freddy as No.4 with Sutter No. 5. If Miley comes back, he could take Freddy's spot, but if we want to win, we'd be better off moving Sutter to long relief and starting when anyone misses a start or 2. To me Sutter is most effectice when he's not a permanent ficture in the rotation. He's decent for 4 or 5 starts, then starts to get wore down or figured out. Sutter is a perfect 6th starter is what I'm saying. With that being said, I do like his bat in the lineup in the pitchers spot.
    Last edited by HacksawButch; 07-07-2018 at 11:44 AM.

I think thereís a legit chance one of the Mets get dealt. Itís probably going to take hiura, burnes and peralta, which a lot would be opposed to, but Iíd be willing to consider it.
    I'd be ok doing that for Degrom, but not sure if I'd do it for Syndergard. Thor is a little too injury prone the last couple seasons, so I wouldn't want to include freddy, since we'd need him to cover when Thor is out.

Villar sits last two games despite RHP on mound after 2x4, two runs scored in previous game. Not sure why CC seems to dislike him. It will be interesting to see what the balance is between Saladino at SS who is the best option defensively right now, Miller who has pop and Villar who is better defensively than Miller and more speed.

I mean, Millerís obp is 25 points higher and is slugging 50 points better, so thereís a real difference offensively. And Villar is still a below average defender, so the defensive gap, if there even is one, isnít huge in my eyes.

Plus you want to see what Miller can do with some consistent playing time to see what you need for a rental to see if the guys available will actually provide a meaningful upgrade.

Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast