Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

2018 Season Discussion

Figured we need a place to start talking about real games and roster moves. Iíd think we can keep the trade ideas in the trade ideas thread, but this can be a spot for real games and roster moves for the first part of the year at least.

Im not going to be nearly as involved in this as the bucks one and i dont know much about baseball besides how to play it but im going to try to get more into it so if i ask any dumb questions forgive me in advance! i been watching the brewers page and discussions for a few weeks now to try and figure some stuff out but still pretty new to actual terms, other teams players, and stuff as far as baseball is concerned.
    The regular season games start on the 29th right?

Where Becoming a Legend Happens.
    @ChrisWagner87

Yea. Opening day is Thursday. This forum is usually fairly dead, so we welcome any new comers. Feel free to ask away on questions.

It's been a couple years since i posted in here consistently. With the ability to interact with fans and beat writers on Twitter during the game that's just a much better platform for in game posting.

Commenting on brew crew ball and brewerfan.net is much more active as well. I don't post on those sites, but if you're looking for an active in game discussion there are better options. This forum died when ****** got banned.

That might have been the most off the rails, yet funny ban Iíve ever seen. That being said, Iím not a huge in game poster, but I do like talking strategy, team building and so on. This forum is usually pretty dead, but I think the group is pretty good. Despite me disagreeing with some folks on certain things (Eric thames), I think we have a pretty knowledgeable group here and not a lot of empty posts like what happen in some of the other forums Iíve seen (not sure about the ones you mentioned.)

Also, i think tonight is a good idea of what our lineup will look like early. It was Cain, yellich, Braun, Shaw, Santana, thames, pina, villar and Arcia. Obviously had a DH, so someone has to slide out. Opening day against lefties, that will be thames and the bottom three slide up a spot. When thames plays, heíll likely hit 5 with Braun or Santana at 3. Handy as the backup catcher might slide to 7 or 8 if heís in the game as well.

If he starts off well, I wonder if thereís any thought to sliding villar up to the leadoff spot again, at least for Braunís off days. That deepens the lineup a bit and allows you to slide Cain to the 3 hole and still have Santana between the lefties of Shaw and thames.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling Braun hits in the 3 spot a bunch. Thatís not a terrible thing, but if villar can get back to leading off, moving Braun to 5 could really get this offense going, especially since Braun isnít likely to play every day. Would be nice to park someone in that 3 spot and let them play 150 games there. I really think 2016 version of villar, yellich, Cain, Shaw, Braun/Santana, thames/Santana, pina, Arcia would be one of the best lineups in the NL. The key is 2016 villar returning.

I would say either Villar or Sogard playing like he did for the majority of next year. I could also see Arcia sliding into the 2 spot if he continue to improve and hit near .300.

I donít see Arcia getting much higher than like 6th in the order. Heís just not an obp guy and he doesnít provide a ton of extra bases or pop. Iíd rather keep Cain, yellich, Braun, Shaw, thames/Santana then maybe Arcia if our 2nd vase spot struggles. But if villar gets back to his old form, heís like a .360 on base guy that fits right in at the top.

Agree Arcia isn't a two-hitter. He also doesn't take any pitches. He is hacking. I really hope Villar bounces back even if not to form of 2016 level. Sogard just isn't very good. He's OK to have a couple starts, but don't see him hitting much better than .240.

I would agree that last years Arcia isn't a top of the order guy, however if he hits near .300 he will have a .350 obp and wouldn't strikeout close to as much as Villar. I think there is a better chance Arcia hits .300 than Villar hits .275. Ultimately I can't see not going Yelich/Cain in some combo of 1/2 unless Yelich develops 25 plus home run power which seems likely within the next couple years.

I predict the Brewers win 6-2 tomorrow, Cain and Braun lead the way on offense and Anderson puts in 6 solid innings just giving up a 2 run bomb to Hunter Renfroe.

Top 5 in the batting order seems pretty set. I think we could see Cain and Yelich flip flop in the 1 and 2 holes. Benefit would be of going L/R/L/R etc. this would be especially helpful late in games so the Brewers don't have Thames and Shaw back to back where a lefty reliever could come in and face them both in a row.

Vs RH SP

Yelich
    Cain
    Shaw
    Braun/Santana
    Thames

Vs LH SP

Cain
    Yelich
    Braun
    Shaw
    Santana

The bottom of the order doesn't matter much, but if Villar or Sogard is getting on base at a good clip I can see them batting the pitcher 8th and Villar/Sogard 9th. That increases the chance Cain/Yelich have guys on base. Granted, i think it's been a while since Counsell has batted the pitcher 8th, but he did it when Gomez was batting lead off. Counsell's thought process at the time was wanting to get guys on base in front of Gomez while leaving him in the lead off spot. So I wouldn't be surprised if we see it some this year.

I would probably bat Arcia 6th and Pina 7th in this scenario. Arcia and Pina have similar power numbers, but Pina on base in front of Arcia is clogging up the base paths a little more than needed. Not that Shaw/Thames/Santana are burners.

What I expect to see tomorrow though is this:

Cain CF
    Yelich LF
    Braun 1b
    Shaw 3b
    Santana RF
    Villar 2b
    Pina C
    Arcia SS
    Anderson P

I'm sure you've all seen the opening day roster by now. I like it a lot. Obviously it will only last a day or so, especially since they're close to signing LHP Dan Jennings, but I like that they're keeping an extra couple bats to start the season. No need to carry 13 pitchers from day one when you won't need them all for at least a few days.

We might see Choi get optioned tomorrow and then Aguilar shipped out next week or soon after.

Agree. Itís a little shady to let Choi make the opening day roster then send him down to avoid his opt out clause if he didnít make the opening day roster. But he gets a guaranteed $850k salary for making the opening day roster, so at least heís not making minor league money when heís sent back down.

Quote Originally Posted by long ball View Post
    Top 5 in the batting order seems pretty set. I think we could see Cain and Yelich flip flop in the 1 and 2 holes. Benefit would be of going L/R/L/R etc. this would be especially helpful late in games so the Brewers don't have Thames and Shaw back to back where a lefty reliever could come in and face them both in a row.

Vs RH SP

Yelich
    Cain
    Shaw
    Braun/Santana
    Thames

Vs LH SP

Cain
    Yelich
    Braun
    Shaw
    Santana

The bottom of the order doesn't matter much, but if Villar or Sogard is getting on base at a good clip I can see them batting the pitcher 8th and Villar/Sogard 9th. That increases the chance Cain/Yelich have guys on base. Granted, i think it's been a while since Counsell has batted the pitcher 8th, but he did it when Gomez was batting lead off. Counsell's thought process at the time was wanting to get guys on base in front of Gomez while leaving him in the lead off spot. So I wouldn't be surprised if we see it some this year.

I would probably bat Arcia 6th and Pina 7th in this scenario. Arcia and Pina have similar power numbers, but Pina on base in front of Arcia is clogging up the base paths a little more than needed. Not that Shaw/Thames/Santana are burners.

What I expect to see tomorrow though is this:

Cain CF
    Yelich LF
    Braun 1b
    Shaw 3b
    Santana RF
    Villar 2b
    Pina C
    Arcia SS
    Anderson P
    It will be interesting to see the lineup vs righties. Your suggestion makes sense on paper, but for whatever reason Braun has never really taken to the 4 spot. Unless they struggle, I have a hunch Braun and Shaw hit 3/4 whenever they both play.

And I think youíre probably okay with Shaw and thames back to back vs righties. Youíll still have one of Braun and Santana and Perez on the bench to pinch hit later in the game if they bring in a loogy.

That said, that is why Iím intrigued by villar potentially moving back to leadoff if he rebounds. Iíd keep yellich 2 and hit Cain and Shaw 3/4. Those guys will play virtually every day, so youíd keep those spots consistent. Then Braun or Santana would always hit 5th and thames or Santana would always hit 6th. That way youíd get to stagger righties and lefties and the only person who really moves much in the order is Santana, whoís sliding one spot.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast