Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    11,278

    The Original Okafor: Comeback Story of the Year?

    I was always a big fan of Emeka Okafor... just seemed like a hard-working guy. Solid doule-double dude who worked hard on D. Good team player (from what I saw on the court).


    But he never got much attention around the league. He got ROY, but after that, it seemed pretty quiet.

    When he went down with injury, there wasn't much fan fair, and the dude has been out for four years. Four years without playing a single NBA game, then he comes back and he's starting, and his per36 stats look like he hasn't missed a beat, and he's hitting over .500.

    I know he's not an all-star, but it's just nice to see this guy back on the court.


    Thoughts?
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,194
    Nvm. Props to meka
    Last edited by Giannis94; 03-18-2018 at 09:15 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19,138
    Not much to say other than it's a beautiful thing to watch for players who were supposed to be stars put their ego away and just accept that they are just a regular player. Especially four years out of the league and countless injuries, nice to see him make a comeback. Shaun Livingston probably has the greatest comeback story. Dude just never gave up and now he's about to play near 80 games for five straight seasons when back then, he could barely play 20 games.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    56,501
    Always liked Emeka.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    15,278
    Yes it's amazing that he can come back after all these years and produce, while bums like Omer Asik on his same very team make 5x his salary to rot on the bench because he's so garbage.


    Semi off topic rant....Also, anyone see the abundance of grossly overpaid scrub/totally useless white guy centers, Asik, Mozgov, Plumlee, Aldrich, Leonard. There seems to be a bias, but I wonder if I'm fishing fishing for something that doesn't exist.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    53,770
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Yes it's amazing that he can come back after all these years and produce, while bums like Omer Asik on his same very team make 5x his salary to rot on the bench because he's so garbage.


    Semi off topic rant....Also, anyone see the abundance of grossly overpaid scrub/totally useless white guy centers, Asik, Mozgov, Plumlee, Aldrich, Leonard. There seems to be a bias, but I wonder if I'm fishing fishing for something that doesn't exist.
    Just centers in general. It pays to be tall. Even if you arenít good. Brook Lopez posted the first ever 25 point 0 rebound game. $23 mil. Noah, Biyombo, Mahinmi all make more than any of the guys you listed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    15,278
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Just centers in general. It pays to be tall. Even if you arenít good. Brook Lopez posted the first ever 25 point 0 rebound game. $23 mil. Noah, Biyombo, Mahinmi all make more than any of the guys you listed.
    I guess "per capita" they are just more overpaid.

    Also, Brook Lopez was somewhat worth his money at the beginning of his contract. It's also untrue that Mozgov makes less than those 3.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    53,770
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    I guess "per capita" they are just more overpaid.

    Also, Brook Lopez was somewhat worth his money at the beginning of his contract. It's also untrue that Mozgov makes less than those 3.
    Spotrac has Lopez at $23 mil, Noah at $17.7, Biyombo at $17, Mahinmi at $16.6 and Mozgov at $15.28 this year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,174
    It's the short supply of tall people. A large percentage of the 7ft tall humans are in the NBA, whether they are skilled enough to be there or not. A lot of centers can coast just on size alone.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19,138
    Centers have the highest risk-reward in the league. You either get a center who is injured or not. A center who can shoot or just packs the paint. One who can rebound or not. It's tough to find a center who can do it all in which we depend the max players on a team to do. Joel Embiid is an example of such center and maybe KP/Towns can develop into one eventually. All it takes is one good season for a center and they get paid. Look at Clint Capela. The dude will get paid this season.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26,569
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post


    Semi off topic rant....Also, anyone see the abundance of grossly overpaid scrub/totally useless white guy centers, Asik, Mozgov, Plumlee, Aldrich, Leonard. There seems to be a bias, but I wonder if I'm fishing fishing for something that doesn't exist.
    lmao

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    11,278
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Yes it's amazing that he can come back after all these years and produce, while bums like Omer Asik on his same very team make 5x his salary to rot on the bench because he's so garbage.


    Semi off topic rant....Also, anyone see the abundance of grossly overpaid scrub/totally useless white guy centers, Asik, Mozgov, Plumlee, Aldrich, Leonard. There seems to be a bias, but I wonder if I'm fishing fishing for something that doesn't exist.
    Asik was a great rebounder at one poing. Mozgov and Plumlee I think got $$ based on 'potential'.

    But yeah... there seems to be a pattern, and it goes way back. I remember th Blazers giving Chris Dudley a rich contract (at the time: 4 mil a year) and all he could do was rebound and block. I think they were exited at the prospect of 3 blocks a game from a C (shot blocking was highlt rated at the time). Put that in perspective, he was getting paid about the same as Clyde Drexler and Terry Porter.. COMBINED.

    It's insane
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    11,278
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Shaun Livingston probably has the greatest comeback story. Dude just never gave up and now he's about to play near 80 games for five straight seasons when back then, he could barely play 20 games.
    Yeah... I remember when he came into the league... with his size at that position. People compared him to Magic. It was shame the injuries slowed him down

    Other great stories... Benard King and Bill Walton comebacks.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,174
    This is an extremely lazy scapegoat. It is really just because tall people are scarce.

    The Pacers got destroyed by the Wizards because aside from Al Jefferson's glacial defense, we had no bodies over 6'9" to throw at Gortat. There's no racist agenda here. We would have killed for a Plumlee that night.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    11,278
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    This is an extremely lazy scapegoat. It is really just because tall people are scarce.

    The Pacers got destroyed by the Wizards because aside from Al Jefferson's glacial defense, we had no bodies over 6'9" to throw at Gortat. There's no racist agenda here. We would have killed for a Plumlee that night.
    That's a fair point. I think people are just wondering why these contracts often go to tall white dudes... but $$4size is a legit explanation in most cases I believe.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •