Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    This forum is going to explode when we trade up to 2 and select Josh Allen.
    Basically lol. Trade for one of the other three or keep all the picks and take Jackson.

Agreed. I want Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold in that order. Anything else, punt to next year.

2 more weeks

They wont draft Allen, I keep saying we are going to trade to 2 and get Rosen or Darnold.Smoke screen to get the Browns to bite on Allen.I dont think Allen has the profile that Bean and company have shown they value in a player.Production being one.Also I dont think you trade 6 picks or so for a QB that may need to sit a year or two.They keep saying build now and the future.You cant do that trading 6 picks for a player on the bench.The Browns can because they have Taylor.With O line being kinda iffy now, WR dept, LB dept needed,I dont think you can justify that for a QB on the bench.Just my opinion
    WHOOP WHOOP GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darnold is still the consensus #1. On NFLN, they had 17 executives with Darnold as the #1 QB in the draft. He was the only QB in the double digits. The next was Rosen, I believe, with 6. Mayfield and Allen each had a few. Darnold is also being mocked #1 most, for what that's worth. I still believe Darnold will be the #1 pick.

I won’t be shocked if the Giants take Barkley at 2 and the Browns take Chubb at 4 and Denver trades back with us after seeing the two top names on their board go. I still expect Darnold at 1 and Rosen at 3. What a moment that would be. The Bills on the clock to take either Allen or Mayfield. I can only imagine the reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I won’t be shocked if the Giants take Barkley at 2 and the Browns take Chubb at 4 and Denver trades back with us after seeing the two top names on their board go. I still expect Darnold at 1 and Rosen at 3. What a moment that would be. The Bills on the clock to take either Allen or Mayfield. I can only imagine the reactions.
    If that is the the case, then the Jets out-foxed us and got Rosen. Would have thought the Bills would have tried hard at 3. Think the only issue indy had was moving to 12.

Quote Originally Posted by SacBillsFan View Post
    They wont draft Allen, I keep saying we are going to trade to 2 and get Rosen or Darnold.Smoke screen to get the Browns to bite on Allen.I dont think Allen has the profile that Bean and company have shown they value in a player.Production being one.Also I dont think you trade 6 picks or so for a QB that may need to sit a year or two.They keep saying build now and the future.You cant do that trading 6 picks for a player on the bench.The Browns can because they have Taylor.With O line being kinda iffy now, WR dept, LB dept needed,I dont think you can justify that for a QB on the bench.Just my opinion
    Well said - hope you're right.

Today’s an important day for the Browns. Wyoming’s Josh Allen is in Berea, Ohio, the final of the draft’s Big Four quarterbacks to visit the team facility and make his case to be the No. 1 overall pick in 14 days.

And rumblings growing louder in scouting circles have led many to believe that Allen will walk through those doors with a lead.

My understanding, and I’ve heard this from multiple people: Cleveland has not made a final call. The team’s scouts returned from the road on Tuesday, started draft meetings on Wednesday, and there’s still discussion to be had. One person who knows GM John Dorsey well explained it like this: “I know John likes [Sam] Darnold, and I know he likes Allen’s talent. It’ll come down to this: Who do they trust most?”

Darnold’s edge might be there. From declaring he wanted to go to Cleveland, to the stories of his teammates showing up in the rain for his pro day, to flying back to Los Angeles to throw for USC tailback Ronald Jones at the Trojans’ second pro day, just about everything about Darnold screams franchise quarterback. It’s the kind of force of nature that a cultural sea change could be centered on.

But is the tide turning?

The Jets, picking third, had nothing on the books with Darnold as of April 1. That’s changed. He’s set for a visit with them now—one of two he’ll make in Jersey, with the Giants (picking second) on the docket for next week. Darnold also has plans to work out for the Bills, a prime candidate to deal up from 12th, in Los Angeles on Friday.

At the very least, all three are preparing for the chance that Darnold is on the board after the first pick, as they should be. So where two weeks ago this race was thought to be over, now these teams are proceeding as if it’s back on. And while there’s support for both Darnold and Allen among the Browns staff, I’ve heard they aren’t the only two QBs Dorsey plans to discuss during the meetings for the No. 1 overall spot.

With two weeks to go, there’s a lot on the line for everyone involved. So this week’s Game Plan will be heavy on the draft. We’ll dive a little deeper into the big question facing Allen; get to know the lesser-known Allen (who used to be a big deal) whom Josh Allen is working out with; look at comments made by Patriots owner Robert Kraft this week and what we can read into them; and explain the significance of Odell Beckham being present and accounted for this week.

But we start with what I think you want to hear, and those are the rumblings buzzing through the draft rumor mill. It starts with the intrigue with that first overall pick. And it’ll keep going through a first round that’s deficient in talent compared to 2016 and ’17, yet rich with possibilities for trades, runs on positions and surprises.

Let’s talk about some …

The Broncos could be moving … down. It’s been out there that the Colts would consider a second move down the board from No. 6 (after trading out of No. 3, to the Jets, in March), but they may have competition among sellers. I’ve heard if Denver doesn’t like the quarterback that’s there at 5, whoever that is, then it’ll actively look at trying to get more picks. Two names that have been connected to the Broncos of late—Notre Dame G Quenton Nelson and Ohio State CB Denzel Ward—could be available further down the line. For what it’s worth, the same two names have been connected to the Bears at No. 8.

Late first-round picks lack value. The other day I was spitballing on a potential Bills-Giants swap with a team exec, who said to me, “The problem is that the 22nd pick might as well be in the third round.” He was exaggerating, but only a little bit. The consensus I’ve heard is the difference between 22 and 52 is minimal this year, which is part of why the Colts did well to land a couple high second-rounders in their trade with the Jets.

The mystery of Lamar Jackson. The 2016 Heisman Trophy winner is in play to go in the first round—or he could be waiting well into Friday night. I’m keeping my eye on the Ravens here. They’ll have Jackson in their facility next week, on the second-to-last day that in-house visits are allowed, and they have an offensive staff with the infrastructure to build for Jackson. Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg built an offense for Mike Vick in Philly. And senior assistant Greg Roman put in option packages for Colin Kaepernick in San Francisco. So Jackson could be an interesting fit. Remember, Joe Flacco has underperformed of late, is 33 and has a balky back and no guaranteed money left on his deal.

The linebackers are rising. I believe that if Bradley Chubb is gone by No. 6 and Indy sticks there, Georgia’s Roquan Smith and Virginia Tech’s Tremaine Edmunds would be in play. And I think each would be a consideration for San Francisco at 9, Oakland at 10, Miami at 11 and Buffalo at 12, if those teams don’t move. And if Smith and Edmunds go earlier than expected, that would stand to help Alabama’s Rashaan Evans and Boise State’s Leighton Vander Esch.

Will the Dolphins take a quarterback? As you read this, Baker Mayfield will be wrapping up his visit in Miami, with Allen coming in later Thursday. Ryan Tannehill is a little younger than Flacco (he turns 30 in July) but enters 2018 in a similar spot—coming off an injury-affected season with no guaranteed money left on his deal. The problem for Miami is that to get one of the top four QBs, it may need to move up, so we’ll see if the rumors of Adam Gase being that smitten with Mayfield are true.

What the Giants do will dictate a lot. I’ve heard that Giants GM Dave Gettleman really likes Darnold. I’ve heard the coaches like Allen. I’ve heard everyone there likes Penn State running back Saquon Barkley. And I know Gettleman has no history of trading down. But rumors of the work the team has done on University of Texas-San Antonio pass-rusher Marcus Davenport indicate that they’re at least considering it here. Bottom line, what the Giants do will help paint the picture for the rest of the top 10. If they take a quarterback, then that would mean QBs go 1-2-3 and could create a feeding frenzy for Cleveland’s pick at 4. If someone else trades up, then another team comes off the market for one. And if the Giants take Barkley, one of the QBs could slide a little. Gettleman is holding the cards.

A good draft for grunt positions. You like interior offensive linemen? How about nose tackles? Nickel corners? Then this is the draft for you. We told you a couple months ago that Barkley and Nelson would likely be the top two prospects in the class—and that a back and a guard being rated that high would cause positional value debates all over the Top 10. Well, those could continue on down the line with really good tailbacks and guard/centers, and inside corners and big bodies for the defensive line available late in the first round and into Round 2.
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/12/cl...arterback-mmqb

Ripper, I know that you've been saying that not that many QBs will go that high, but I'm willing to bet 4 go in the top 8 or so picks. Too much smoke out there and teams like the Broncos and Dolphins are clearly in play as well. If the Broncos stay, it could be 3 or 4 QBs gone in the top-5 picks if these rumors are true that they'll only stay at 5 for a QB. Regardless the team trading up to 5 is likely to be doing so for a QB, so that's 3 or 4 within the first 5 picks anyway.

Agreed - l wouldn't be shocked if 4 go in the top 5, def at least 3. I think if mayfield/rosen is still there at 5 Denver will take him. If he is gone, they would move out. Josh Allen seems too much like an Osweiler/Lynch type of "potential talent" prospect that they have struck out on.

God please don't trade up for Allen. If a trade up for 2 is happening it better be Rosen. If the Browns select Allen #1 then it better be darnold. I don't see the Browns picking Allen though. They would be wise to go with the safe pick.

I'm sort of leaning toward staying at 12 to select Jackson tbh. Either way I'll probably trade for him on my madden franchise lol. Dat speed doe...

When Jackson - a former Heisman winner wanted most by the Steelers and Pat's - is your worst case scenario... Your in good shape.

I'm sure we're all seeing the reports that the bills have a deal in place for #2.

Damn this **** is exciting.

They have a "blueprint" in place with the Giants - whatever that means.

In the nyc area, and been hooked on the wgr550 app

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    They have a "blueprint" in place with the Giants - whatever that means.

In the nyc area, and been hooked on the wgr550 app
    Is that what's being actually reported or is it speculation?

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast