Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Reds extend Eugenio Suarez

7/66MM

Not sure of the breakdown but he did have a very nice season.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

That feels steep

Signing bonus - $2M
    So it's 2018 - $2.25M (in place of $3.75 agreed upon price - so really it's a $500K signing bonus) - age 26
    2019 - 7M
    2020 - 9.25M
    Would be a free agent - age 29
    2021 - 10.5M
    2022 - 11M
    2023 - 11M
    2024 - 11M
    2025 - club option - $15M - age 33 - looks like $2M buyout

That feels pretty rich for him. Especially with Senzel there. The Reds do get his prime years, and his free agency salary isn't that bad. I guess I just don't see him as anything more than a 1.5-2 win player and feel like last year was more than he really is. Of course, if he really is a 3 win, perennial player, than this deal is a great bargain for the Reds.

The dollars are mostly fine. But I don't see the huge bargain for the team to make this risk. I'm wondering if he approached them about the extension? I dunno. I guess it's mostly fine, not perfect or ideal. Nobody wins, nobody loses?
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 03-16-2018 at 02:41 PM.

They get his free agency years of his age 29-33 seasons on a 4/45.5M deal (a likely bargain) that could become a 5/58.5 deal.

Said it in the other thread about baseball's economic system being broken: he was garbage before last year and players that have shaky performance throughout their career are finding cold markets when they hit FA so I tend to side here that Suarez was wise to get the guaranteed money coming off of a possibly anomalous season IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Said it in the other thread about baseball's economic system being broken: he was garbage before last year and players that have shaky performance throughout their career are finding cold markets when they hit FA so I tend to side here that Suarez was wise to get the guaranteed money coming off of a possibly anomalous season IMO.
    Yeah, I am curious if Suarez and his agent approached the Reds here, instead of the other way around?