Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dolphins to Release C Mike Pouncey

Adam Schefter

More changes coming in Miami: Dolphins center Mike Pouncey has requested his released and Miami is expected to grant it today, per source. Moving on from Pouncey, Ndamukong Suh, Jarvis Landry.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

This is absolutely huge needs considering everyone reported that Miami wanted to keep him. It sounds like Gase had a plan in place to get him to practice more so he can improve on his play from last year, even though Gase said Pouncey played great.

This is an absolute blessing. Pouncey was a shell of himself last year and it was obvious. This not only saves us money but forces us to improve the oline. Hell we may even have some good in house candidates in Brendel and Larsen. This also makes me completely ok with the James move.

And this from Joe Schad

Mike Pouncey just clarified for me. He wants a release because the team did not want to do a longer-team deal. "I know my career isnít over," Pouncey said.

Apparently we asked him to take a pay cut and he said no.

I said this in another forum. Pouncey is declining at an increasing rate. If it wasn't this year it was next year. Super pumped he's gone.

No he asked for a new long term deal after we asked for a restructure. He said no and wanted his release being he knew he would get cut next year then. I wanted him cut, he didn't practice all season due to his hip and it showed in the game. Larsen can fill in at the same level IMO, but also there are aton of centers on the market.

The weirdest part is that there's no way Pouncey is getting the kind of money he's used to. 3 hip surgeries and basically no practice time last year. He's easily replaceable for us.

This makes the Sitton move a must. But I actually really hope they spend more money on the line and sign one of the big names left. I wouldn't mind Ryan Jensen at all. That or use this money to get a DT or LB (cough cough Zach brown).

Why not kick the tires on Mangold? I know he wanted to come back last year . . . maybe he's still interested in a comeback. Would be a low risk-high reward type of signing. And he has seemed like a good locker room guy as well.

Eh, I'd rather Larsen or Brendel over Mangold. Either go cheap and just get an average level C or sign a long term solution in the draft or FA. With Sitton being a 2 year deal you have to either develop a LG or find a long term C.

Here's the timeline for all of these moves: When the Niners signed Richburg, the Dolphins had an idea Kilgore would become available. Trade talks began last night, continued into the morning. Team decided to move on from Pouncey when trade was agreed upon.

Beasley

I know there are plenty on this forum that will be extremely happy with this move and have been wanting to ditch Pouncey for quite some time. I always thought he had the talent and was reluctant to see him go. AFTER last year I turned the corner. The guy was on the downward fall and honestly he seemed like his attitude could be a detriment to the locker room. He should have had fire and been a leader but he seemed to be more of a quitter the last two seasons. I have faith that Gase will fix this line!

Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    I know there are plenty on this forum that will be extremely happy with this move and have been wanting to ditch Pouncey for quite some time. I always thought he had the talent and was reluctant to see him go. AFTER last year I turned the corner. The guy was on the downward fall and honestly he seemed like his attitude could be a detriment to the locker room. He should have had fire and been a leader but he seemed to be more of a quitter the last two seasons. I have faith that Gase will fix this line!
    I think Omar pointed out that Pouncey is better as a leader when there's another strong voice in the room. He was great with Albert but nothing without him. Plus I have to imagine it's harder to be a leader when you're only practicing once a week.

He used to be great but he just got beat down. You can't rely on a guy that can take one bad hit to the hip and be done.

JasonLaCanfora
    Expect a hot market for Mike Pouncey. Several teams interested. He did not request his release from Miami. Declined to take a 50% paycut
    Lol have fun whoever signs him. 50% paycut is about what Kilgore makes so they got what they wanted.

^^^^that report literally contradicts what Pouncey said himself. This is from Joe Schads article

At first, Pouncey said he had been asked Thursday morning to take a pay cut. But then Pouncey explained that he had actually wanted a raise in a long-term deal, but that was declined.

Pouncey said he has asked for his release and he expects it to be granted.

The fact that Pouncey thinks he deserved MORE money is hilarious. Dude has a hip that doctors told him he would need to get replaced in the next 5 years. On top of that he just wasn't good last year. He can't handle the new DTs in the league I'll be overjoyed to see him get bullied on someone else's team.

Would not be the frist or last time Canfora was wrong. He is one of the few big reporters I don't follow.

Pouncey is a thug who I am happy to have gone. He was good for a while but with all the injuries bringing his level of play down and not knowing if he will be able to play every week he isnít worth what he was making.....and he wanted more. There have been a lot of unexpected changes so far and I think the team will be better because of them. Midway through the upcoming season everyone will either be saying Gase is the man or trashing him depending on how the phins play. When you dump talent like Suh, Landry, and Pouncey your Job probably rests on how the team does more so than normal. I think the guys we have replaced them with make the team better. I dont know how you replace Suh with equal talent but i dont think they need to.....there arenít many guys out there who are equal to Suh. Moving on from Ajayi worked out lets hope these moves do too.
    Last edited by Rackhound; 03-16-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast