Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Dave is a bad*ss

‘Badass’ is bringing nasty streak back to Mets’ pitching staff

PORT ST. LUCIE — Batters beware.

Mets pitchers are taking back the inner half of the plate under new pitching coach Dave Eiland with the blessing of new manager Mickey Callaway. They are going to pitch inside with a purpose, and sometimes they will miss in and hit batters.

That’s life in the major leagues.

If hitters are diving across the plate, there will be a toll to pay.

“Don’t let hitters get comfortable,’’ Eiland told The Post about the style of pitching he wants his Mets hurlers to have on the mound. “When you’re pitching, you have to be feared.”

Eiland then made his point crystal clear.

“There is one stat I hope we lead the league in, and that’s hit batters,’’ he said.

Consider yourself warned.

“Not because we are trying to hit guys, we’re not head-hunting,’’ Eiland said. “It’s because we are pitching them off the plate.

“And they’re diving,’’ Eiland added. “Is there anybody who doesn’t have body armor now? You see a lot of guys who are hitting good pitches that are down and away, that’s because they don’t have a fear of the ball in.

“I am not saying we are going to throw at people’s heads because we’re not. We are not going to throw behind them. We’re going to go in and when we go in, if we miss, we are going to miss in off the plate and we are going to hit some guys.

“That’s the way it goes.’’

Indeed.

Mets pitchers are locked into this new old-school philosophy. It fits their personalities, and as Noah Syndergaard told me of Eiland, with more than a glint of admiration in his eye, “Dave is a badass.”

So is Syndergaard.

“We have all these strengths, so you just add another tool to the toolbox,” Syndergaard said of the pitching-in strategy.

To make his point to the Mets pitchers, Eiland highlighted Syndergaard’s first World Series pitch in their meetings, when the two were on opposing sides.

“We talk about it all the time,” Eiland said of Syndergaard’s pitch.

Eiland was the Royals pitching coach in 2015. In Game 3, Syndergaard fired a 98-mph fastball up and in and over the head of Kansas City leadoff hitter Alcides Escobar, who wound up sitting on his backside in the dirt as fans went bonkers at Citi Field.

The next pitch was a breaking ball on the outer half. Syndergaard unleashed a 99-mph fastball past Escobar for the strikeout as the Mets went on to win, 9-3. It was their only victory in that World Series.
    https://nypost.com/2018/03/12/badass...itching-staff/

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Love it.

Body armor *****es.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I love this too. Sick of seeing guys nibble. I don't care if you throw 99 or 91. If you throw 90-something right towards someone's ribs, they're gonna be thinking twice about their approach at the plate.

More than anyone, Matt Harvey needs to utilize this to make the most of what's left of his stuff.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Positive vibes bro
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Words on paper. Easy.
    Pitchers pitching effectively. Not so easy.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Harvey needs to learn a sinker or a cutter.

Yeah I think he needs to be better at inducing ground balls because personally I highly doubt he'll ever be the guy who misses bats like he used to.

With that said, he's a FA after this season so it's a little late for our purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Words on paper. Easy.
    Pitchers pitching effectively. Not so easy.
    Lol I can hear Dan Warthen laughing his butt off saying, "Duh! If only I had thought of that!"
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Then why didn't he implement it.

Dan was to busy trying to be the favorite uncle.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Then why didn't he implement it.

Dan was to busy trying to be the favorite uncle.
    Because he wasn't the one on the mound?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

But he was the pitching coach, all he has to do is say "throw inside".
    Noah did in the WS. You see it's not that tough.

Maybe these pitchers need some tough love instead of a favorite uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    But he was the pitching coach, all he has to do is say "throw inside".
    Noah did in the WS. You see it's not that tough.

Maybe these pitchers need some tough love instead of a favorite uncle.
    They're lollygaggers

Don't worry. He's got this.

8-16! How the hell did we ever win eight?

It's a miracle.

So if Noah did it, why didn't the others? Or you would have us believe that they really wanted to but Uncle Dany wouldn't let them?

Point is, when they're on the mound, it doesnt matter a damned what the pitching coach told them. It's entirely on the pitcher's shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    It's a miracle.

So if Noah did it, why didn't the others? Or you would have us believe that they really wanted to but Uncle Dany wouldn't let them?

Point is, when they're on the mound, it doesnt matter a damned what the pitching coach told them. It's entirely on the pitcher's shoulders.
    I think it’s pretty silly to believe that at no time in his tenure Warthen told them to pitch inside.

It’s one of the oldest things pitchers say they need to do to be effective, so am 100% sure that in his 10 years here he told them to do it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast