Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Wiggins

6-21 from the field. Amazing how people expected him to be the next Jimmy Butler but this guy is far from it. Looks like he just wants to color anime figures when he's on his free time.

He's still the next LeBron.
    Don’t forget to smile today, they’re contagious!!!

This will likely come off as overly harsh, but I don't care.

Wiggins, is a complete waste of talent. Some like to point to his age, and claim he has so much room to develop. The dude has started over 300 NBA games, had a star usage rate since day 1, and hasn't developed at all. In fact, he has regressed. At least his first 2 years, he was a foul drawing machine that made up for his terrible shot selection and lack of 3 point shot with tons of free throws. At some point last year, he decided he doesn't care to go find contact anymore, so that one positive with his scoring disappeared. He is allergic to anything that will get him dirty. He refuses to rebound, or create for anyone else. He hasn't progressed as a defender at all. He goes stretches of games where you don't even realize he is playing.

Easiest way to explain Wiggins, is that he has literally no fire in him. He is a coaster. We all know them. We have friends who are coasters. We just don't have friends that are oozing talent and you KNOW they could be amazing at something if they had any fire in them. That is Andrew Wiggins.

My biggest worry since around mid-way through his 2nd season, was that we would stupidly give him a max because 20 points per game. And we did. For him to be a below average starting NBA wing.

Reading above, I actually wasn't harsh. I have been bashing on Wiggins for 2 years now. He is a total waste of talent. Perhaps he will get slightly better as his body matures and he gets naturally stronger, but the dude doesn't care to push himself. With Butler on the floor, we basically have a $25 million dollar spot up shooter who doesn't hit at a high rate, won't rebound, can't pass, and doesn't defend. We traded the wrong guy to Chicago, and I say that knowing Lavine will never ben an acceptable NBA defender.

Rant over. **** Wiggins.
    Last edited by Hawkeye15; 03-09-2018 at 10:43 AM.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    6-21 from the field. Amazing how people expected him to be the next Jimmy Butler but this guy is far from it. Looks like he just wants to color anime figures when he's on his free time.
    I would kill for the next Demar DeRozan out of this guy. Alas, no chance..

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

just an exciting tidbit here, but we will be paying our amazing Teague/Wiggins duo $44 million next season to be a below average starting tandem. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    This will likely come off as overly harsh, but I don't care.

Wiggins, is a complete waste of talent. Some like to point to his age, and claim he has so much room to develop. The dude has started over 300 NBA games, had a star usage rate since day 1, and hasn't developed at all. In fact, he has regressed. At least his first 2 years, he was a foul drawing machine that made up for his terrible shot selection and lack of 3 point shot with tons of free throws. At some point last year, he decided he doesn't care to go find contact anymore, so that one positive with his scoring disappeared. He is allergic to anything that will get him dirty. He refuses to rebound, or create for anyone else. He hasn't progressed as a defender at all. He goes stretches of games where you don't even realize he is playing.

Easiest way to explain Wiggins, is that he has literally no fire in him. He is a coaster. We all know them. We have friends who are coasters. We just don't have friends that are oozing talent and you KNOW they could be amazing at something if they had any fire in them. That is Andrew Wiggins.

My biggest worry since around mid-way through his 2nd season, was that we would stupidly give him a max because 20 points per game. And we did. For him to be a below average starting NBA wing.

Reading above, I actually wasn't harsh. I have been bashing on Wiggins for 2 years now. He is a total waste of talent. Perhaps he will get slightly better as his body matures and he gets naturally stronger, but the dude doesn't care to push himself. With Butler on the floor, we basically have a $25 million dollar spot up shooter who doesn't hit at a high rate, won't rebound, can't pass, and doesn't defend. We traded the wrong guy to Chicago, and I say that knowing Lavine will never ben an acceptable NBA defender.

Rant over. **** Wiggins.
    I said the same thing.. Zach Lavine is the better fit/player than Wiggins IMO. When Lavine plays, the dude actually has emotion in his game. Wiggins is like a doofus out there. Lavine can shoot and do everything Wiggins do minus the post game.. Wiggins is trash. I can't believe Minny paid him. You guys had Towns and could've built a solid foundation there but Teague+Wiggins? Oh my God..

Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    Is he the most underperforming player in the NBA?

I'm interested to hear from fans who watch him more.

I don't know if he can be considered a bust because he is at least an average NBA starting SF who doesn't miss games.

i thought he was a sure thing elite defensive player but he is pretty garbage when i watch. his stats show a #3 option player on a good, but not great team, and for how early we started hearing about him isn't this the time he's supposed to be taking over the NBA?

he was better last couple years, is he playing through an injury?

Did he get the pay day and settle?

Jimmy Butler alpha'd him but i thought when he went down maybe he showed he can lead a team, despite coming off a great game in a L to another WC team in the playoff hunt, it seems he is a complementary player.

Is there something I'm missing. No doubt he has elite athleticism and profile of a superstar but he was dogged with lack of killer instinct that maybe he can't run from?
    wouldn't say the most underperforming even due to his contract since they have Butler/Towns who are legit bona fide #1 options if not on the same team so that knocks Wiggins down to the 3rd option and quasi 4th since Teague handles the ball for most part running the offense and they even throw the ball down low from the games I have watched to Gibson for a decent amount of touches

but Wiggins should be way way way better on defense, he should almost be Leonard/Pippen like since he doesn't have the burden of needing to attempt 30 shots for the team to be successful, his overall floor game should be TMAC like, since I saw on here a while back when some were comparing him to TMAC, which is utter disrespect to a legend like TMAC

he is top 10 I would imagine in underperforming due to max style deal he received but C Parsons and some others are over him, Conley as well seeing the deal he got and he cant even be available which makes it worse because at least Wiggins is available to be on the court needed, while Parsons and Conley cant stay healthy and they weren't even worth the deals they got as did Wiggins, even Adams in OKC is overpaid but at least he will get boards and bang down low/set screens but that isn't 100+ million type of production

Wiggins to me was a iffy 1st overall selection, he didn't wow me enough or hardly at all watching him in college, his athletic ability was noticeable but I look at both skill/athletic with the other attributes , he is what I thought he would be coming out of college so its not a shock to me that he is what he is after playing 3yrs in the league, could he make a all star team down the line? possibly but I doubt it

by year 3 if he hasn't make his name on notice with the league then at best he will be labeled a good or serviceable player, similar to the M Gasols and Conleys and Hardaway Jr. of the league

those are the type of players who get overrated mostly by the non playing masses/fake experts of the world

I said the same thing.. Zach Lavine is the better fit/player than Wiggins IMO. When Lavine plays, the dude actually has emotion in his game. Wiggins is like a doofus out there. Lavine can shoot and do everything Wiggins do minus the post game.. Wiggins is trash. I can't believe Minny paid him. You guys had Towns and could've built a solid foundation there but Teague+Wiggins? Oh my God..
    just the modern NBA alone requires a guard to be able to consistently hit the 3. Wiggins takes more 19 footers than anyone I have seen in the least 5 years (since Kobe retired). I just don't get it. He shakes and bakes and just jacks a fall away 20 footer. Like, there isn't a more stupid ****ing shot possible to take in today's NBA, yet we continue to give him a green light.

Thib's is a huge problem too. Clearly his ice defense is not made for the modern spread out NBA. I hated watching early 90's bruiser ball, that is not basketball. And that is how we play. Never been this disinterested in a Wolves team in my life. Our offensive numbers are a fluke as well, and come at the expense of defense. We don't turn it over, which is great. But we also are fortunate that everyone but Wiggins pretty much rarely misses a FT, and we crash the offensive boards at the expense of transition defense, which is just killing us.

Best case: DeRozan
    Worst case: Wiggins
    Last edited by FlakeyFool; 03-09-2018 at 01:18 PM.

don't really have to look further than the FT column. lowest attempts and % in his career by a wide margin. unacceptable for a starting wing.

congrats to wiggins for being able to make it and start in the NBA coasting on talent. very few can do that. when i first heard about him i thought not only did he have exceptional physical gifts and bloodlines, but honed skills from a strong work ethic.

in a sense we could see it his 1 year in college he under-achieved and lack of dog in him but chalked it up to his game being made for NBA style.

1) Can't play defense. Too small to guard SF's and too slow or lazy to guard guards.
    2) All he does is score.. which is not a problem when you look at guys like Klay doing that but..
    3) He can't shoot the ball. Klay spaces the floor. Wiggins is like DeRozan with less efficiency, skill, and all-around game. The guy got paid a huge contract for being a midrange scorer with athleticism. It was a terrible contract extension. Remember when people said Cavs lost out on Wiggins when they got Love? Well, good thing. He is trash.
    4) Has a low basketball IQ and hunger. I don't know if it has something to do with his Canadian roots but he doesn't have that drive that a black player from a rougher upbringing would have. He's a suburban black boy.. nothing wrong with that but we are talking about two different personalities. Not trying to generalize but sorta.
    a 'soft european' lol.

Nah man I agree, he was soft when I played him when he was like 12. The kid didn't fight back the way his dad did whenever I played them both over a weekend tournament. I know he was 12, but man, I remember being 12, and I never cared who I played against. If someone embarrassed me, I'd smile, take the ball and come at them harder. Andrew wasn't like that. It was more like 'oh I got my shock blocked, I guess I should pass now' instead of prodding to find a different way. Really, I think it has always been head and shoulders athletically gifted above his peers and he's never had to dig in and work at it. Andrew's mum was an olympic hurdler and mitch wiggins played for the 94' championship rockets. Kid had the genes, dad had the means of giving him the athletic opportunity with coaching, scouting, competition. Just might be one of those cases where the parents decided his career instead of him. You'd think that wouldn't matter, but I guess at the top level, it's more than athletic ability and talent. You gotta want it too, and I don't think he wants it bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Guy View Post
    a 'soft european' lol.

Nah man I agree, he was soft when I played him when he was like 12. The kid didn't fight back the way his dad did whenever I played them both over a weekend tournament. I know he was 12, but man, I remember being 12, and I never cared who I played against. If someone embarrassed me, I'd smile, take the ball and come at them harder. Andrew wasn't like that. It was more like 'oh I got my shock blocked, I guess I should pass now' instead of prodding to find a different way. Really, I think it has always been head and shoulders athletically gifted above his peers and he's never had to dig in and work at it. Andrew's mum was an olympic hurdler and mitch wiggins played for the 94' championship rockets. Kid had the genes, dad had the means of giving him the athletic opportunity with coaching, scouting, competition. Just might be one of those cases where the parents decided his career instead of him. You'd think that wouldn't matter, but I guess at the top level, it's more than athletic ability and talent. You gotta want it too, and I don't think he wants it bad enough.
    I saw a tweet that accurately sums up your post, something that read similar to:

Basketball seems to have gotten in the way of Andrew Wiggins having an amazing career"

Like I said, the dude is a coaster. He is the pure example of a player who was just head and shoulders above everyone else talent and athletic wise growing up, so he never had to work hard. But like you said, he just doesn't have that "**** you" bone in him. Kobe, Watt, Jordan, Gretzky, all have a fire inside of them that rages all the time. Wiggins has a tiny little pilot light that never does anything but keep the machine running. That is the easiest way to explain it. And I bet he thinks he works hard, and plays hard, and I have to keep reading Wolves coaches praise him. While I get that coaches shouldn't torch a guy to the media, you have to be joking me if a coaching staff isn't driven mad by Wiggins. He could dominate, but he would rather play paddycake in the corner and not get dirty. It would drive me NUTS if I was Jimmy Butler, who clawed and scratched his way to his position.

I despise Wiggins as a player. He boils my blood, such a waste of talent, and all my fears about him have been realized. He will make $25 million a year starting next year to be a below average starting NBA player. Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I saw a tweet that accurately sums up your post, something that read similar to:

Basketball seems to have gotten in the way of Andrew Wiggins having an amazing career"

Like I said, the dude is a coaster. He is the pure example of a player who was just head and shoulders above everyone else talent and athletic wise growing up, so he never had to work hard. But like you said, he just doesn't have that "**** you" bone in him. Kobe, Watt, Jordan, Gretzky, all have a fire inside of them that rages all the time. Wiggins has a tiny little pilot light that never does anything but keep the machine running. That is the easiest way to explain it. And I bet he thinks he works hard, and plays hard, and I have to keep reading Wolves coaches praise him. While I get that coaches shouldn't torch a guy to the media, you have to be joking me if a coaching staff isn't driven mad by Wiggins. He could dominate, but he would rather play paddycake in the corner and not get dirty. It would drive me NUTS if I was Jimmy Butler, who clawed and scratched his way to his position.

I despise Wiggins as a player. He boils my blood, such a waste of talent, and all my fears about him have been realized. He will make $25 million a year starting next year to be a below average starting NBA player. Ugh
    I have always felt the exact same way about Favors. I told people from day 1 that he was average at best and was told I was a hater and that he was gonna be the next great big....I referred to the fact that he couldn't dominate in college even with his phenomenal physical gifts and that he couldn't beat out an undersized 2nd round pick for the starting job...we had to give it to him and wonder why he's never had a bit of fire to his game. That's why Millsap always was the better player, he wanted it and if Favors had that fire he'd be a helluva player. But there are guys like that all over the league that are just content with getting by. It's such a shame to see dudes like that never have to EARN anything while wasting their incredible physical talent and then people wonder why they coast.

1) Can't play defense. Too small to guard SF's and too slow or lazy to guard guards.
    2) All he does is score.. which is not a problem when you look at guys like Klay doing that but..
    3) He can't shoot the ball. Klay spaces the floor. Wiggins is like DeRozan with less efficiency, skill, and all-around game. The guy got paid a huge contract for being a midrange scorer with athleticism. It was a terrible contract extension. Remember when people said Cavs lost out on Wiggins when they got Love? Well, good thing. He is trash.
    4) Has a low basketball IQ and hunger. I don't know if it has something to do with his Canadian roots but he doesn't have that drive that a black player from a rougher upbringing would have. He's a suburban black boy.. nothing wrong with that but we are talking about two different personalities. Not trying to generalize but sorta.
    Wtf are you talking about lmfao “ a black player with a rougher up bringing” ????

So I guess Steve Nash was a Canadian white kid with a super rough up bringing and that’s why he was any good ? Seriously wtf are you talking about

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast