Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 180
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,049

    2018 Dallas Cowboys Draft Discussion

    Time to get a thread focused on the draft going since the combine has started.

    Discuss all draft related things here.

    Let's start with who you want to be our first pick.

    I really would like a WR to be our first pick, unless there is some insane talent that falls to us that we shouldn't pass up. People have Calvin Ridley as the top WR but I don't see it. I like Courtland Sutton as the best WR, so I'd like to grab him. My third WR would be James Washington since he put up crazy numbers at OSU. If we wait on WR, we can grab Cedrick Wilson from Boise State in the 3rd or 4th round, he will be a good NFL WR, he just needs to bulk up.

    If we decide not to grab a WR in the first round, my next choice would be Vita Vea. I know people don't like a 1 tech in the first round, but our line has been too small recently and we need a good run stuffer who can also pressure the QB, which Vea can do.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    711
    All the guys I'm intrigued by definitely or likely won't be there. I think Vea is one of those. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing an OL there.

    Or after the NCAA Championship game, the younger Ridley. Too bad he isn't draft eligible. Haha

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Time to get a thread focused on the draft going since the combine has started.

    Discuss all draft related things here.

    Let's start with who you want to be our first pick.

    I really would like a WR to be our first pick, unless there is some insane talent that falls to us that we shouldn't pass up. People have Calvin Ridley as the top WR but I don't see it. I like Courtland Sutton as the best WR, so I'd like to grab him. My third WR would be James Washington since he put up crazy numbers at OSU. If we wait on WR, we can grab Cedrick Wilson from Boise State in the 3rd or 4th round, he will be a good NFL WR, he just needs to bulk up.

    If we decide not to grab a WR in the first round, my next choice would be Vita Vea. I know people don't like a 1 tech in the first round, but our line has been too small recently and we need a good run stuffer who can also pressure the QB, which Vea can do.
    I think most Cowboys fans would love to draft a 1-tech. The problem is Marinelli doesnt want to draft one. Vita Vea would be perfect but I think hell be off the board by the 19th pick.

    I really like Courtland Sutton too. Hes a big WR with really good hands and runs extremely well without the ball. Not sure how sharpe he is with his routes though. Thats the one thing that scares me about him. I think Dak really needs a lead WR that runs precise routes. Calvin Ridley is that guy. He wont be available at 19 though. I think if he drops to 15 I could see the Cowboys trading up to get him, especially considering they will have 10 picks this year. If the Cowboys decide to trade down (25-30 range) to pick up extra picks I wouldnt mind them drafting Christian Kirk from Texas A&M.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I think most Cowboys fans would love to draft a 1-tech. The problem is Marinelli doesnt want to draft one. Vita Vea would be perfect but I think hell be off the board by the 19th pick.

    I really like Courtland Sutton too. Hes a big WR with really good hands and runs extremely well without the ball. Not sure how sharpe he is with his routes though. Thats the one thing that scares me about him. I think Dak really needs a lead WR that runs precise routes. Calvin Ridley is that guy. He wont be available at 19 though. I think if he drops to 15 I could see the Cowboys trading up to get him, especially considering they will have 10 picks this year. If the Cowboys decide to trade down (25-30 range) to pick up extra picks I wouldnt mind them drafting Christian Kirk from Texas A&M.
    That's probably a fair point on the route running, but you might be able to make the case that a guy like Sutton is valuable because he has such a wide range to catch the ball from so he can grab some of the errant Dak throws even if he route running isn't as precise as a guy like Calvin Ridley's. I agree with your point overall though.

    Kirk is intriguing but I just don't like WRs who are under 6 foot on the outside. It is rare that they can dominate. Steve Smith is the only guy that comes to mind for me like that. If he was in the second round and we got Vea in the first, then I'd be happy to take a chance on him.

    For Vea, I think there is a decent chance he is there at 19. Is he a guy you'd trade up a few spots for too? Say he was at 15?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    That's probably a fair point on the route running, but you might be able to make the case that a guy like Sutton is valuable because he has such a wide range to catch the ball from so he can grab some of the errant Dak throws even if he route running isn't as precise as a guy like Calvin Ridley's. I agree with your point overall though.

    Kirk is intriguing but I just don't like WRs who are under 6 foot on the outside. It is rare that they can dominate. Steve Smith is the only guy that comes to mind for me like that. If he was in the second round and we got Vea in the first, then I'd be happy to take a chance on him.

    For Vea, I think there is a decent chance he is there at 19. Is he a guy you'd trade up a few spots for too? Say he was at 15?
    How tall is Beckham? Terry Glenn was under 6 and had success on the outside. Ideally Id prefer the WR to be in the 61 - 62 range but if the Mavs can pick up an extra 4th by trading down to the 25-30 range AND still get Kirk Id be ok with that.

    As for trading up to get Vita Vea, personally Id absolutely do it if he fell to 15. I just do not see the Cowboys doing that. Not for Vea anyways. It sucks too because hed immediately solve the problems with the run defense. Hed also help make whoever that play at MLB a star.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    How tall is Beckham? Terry Glenn was under 6 and had success on the outside. Ideally Id prefer the WR to be in the 61 - 62 range but if the Mavs can pick up an extra 4th by trading down to the 25-30 range AND still get Kirk Id be ok with that.

    As for trading up to get Vita Vea, personally Id absolutely do it if he fell to 15. I just do not see the Cowboys doing that. Not for Vea anyways. It sucks too because hed immediately solve the problems with the run defense. Hed also help make whoever that play at MLB a star.
    Dang you're right about OBJ. He is the same size as Kirk. I didn't realize that. Maybe I'll have to reconsider my position on him haha.

    I agree, I think Vea would be a game changer for our defense. Having someone like him in the middle can be huge for a defense. He may never put up flashy numbers, but I really think he'll be a force in the NFL.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,037
    Do you guys think that the Browns will skip picking Saquon Barkely and pick a quarterback? Because if they do, that means Barkely falls into the laps of the Giants.

    It looks like the Seahawks are dumping most of their defensive stars---they are going to release Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas can be had. Should we stick with the players we have or is there some secondary players out there you like. Richard Sherman's decline and injury makes me nervous, plus he seems to want a lot of money. The Patriots have their sights on him. Also, there are a lot of reports that the Cowboys are looking for wide receivers because of the subpar play of Dez and Terrence Williams last year. Jerry wants to keep Dez, but doesn't like his high price tag.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,049
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Do you guys think that the Browns will skip picking Saquon Barkely and pick a quarterback? Because if they do, that means Barkely falls into the laps of the Giants.

    It looks like the Seahawks are dumping most of their defensive stars---they are going to release Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas can be had. Should we stick with the players we have or is there some secondary players out there you like. Richard Sherman's decline and injury makes me nervous, plus he seems to want a lot of money. The Patriots have their sights on him. Also, there are a lot of reports that the Cowboys are looking for wide receivers because of the subpar play of Dez and Terrence Williams last year. Jerry wants to keep Dez, but doesn't like his high price tag.
    If the Browns don't have one QB they are in love with, then I think they'll end up taking Barkley with the first pick and then take whichever QB they like most with their 4th pick. Giants should take a QB second honestly. They shouldn't expect to be picking that high regularly, so they need to make their move now. I could see them taking Barkley, but I feel like that'd be a wasted pick for them given that they need a QB of the future so badly and RBs can be had all throughout the draft.

    Barkley likely won't get beyond the Colts pick though. So if Browns really want him they'll have to take him first. If they do that, then maybe the Giants take one QB but the Browns will be left with one of Darnold - Rosen - Allen - Mayfield. If I'm them, I'd take Allen in a heartbeat. He is going to be a very good QB.

    For the Seahawks, they are in an interesting spot with an aging defensive core. I think we definitely should make a move for Earl Thomas. Originally I would have sent them 2nd and 4th round picks for him, but given what other highly talented players are going for (Talib now for a 5th), I think he could be had for a 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    3,122
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Do you guys think that the Browns will skip picking Saquon Barkely and pick a quarterback? Because if they do, that means Barkely falls into the laps of the Giants.

    It looks like the Seahawks are dumping most of their defensive stars---they are going to release Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas can be had. Should we stick with the players we have or is there some secondary players out there you like. Richard Sherman's decline and injury makes me nervous, plus he seems to want a lot of money. The Patriots have their sights on him. Also, there are a lot of reports that the Cowboys are looking for wide receivers because of the subpar play of Dez and Terrence Williams last year. Jerry wants to keep Dez, but doesn't like his high price tag.
    Browns need an entire team and they need it quick for the fanbase.
    1. Pay AJ McCarron 12mil a season for 3 years
    2. Draft Barkly #1, and Draft best available O-Lineman at #4(trade back and pick up picks and still do this).

    Their draft should be easy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by teddygreen17 View Post
    Browns need an entire team and they need it quick for the fanbase.
    1. Pay AJ McCarron 12mil a season for 3 years
    2. Draft Barkly #1, and Draft best available O-Lineman at #4(trade back and pick up picks and still do this).

    Their draft should be easy.
    I think that is what is going to happen also. They sign McCarron, draft Barkley, and then either draft a OL or Ridley.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,049
    Quote Originally Posted by teddygreen17 View Post
    Browns need an entire team and they need it quick for the fanbase.
    1. Pay AJ McCarron 12mil a season for 3 years
    2. Draft Barkly #1, and Draft best available O-Lineman at #4(trade back and pick up picks and still do this).

    Their draft should be easy.
    Ugh I hope they don't pay McCarron that much!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    If the Browns don't have one QB they are in love with, then I think they'll end up taking Barkley with the first pick and then take whichever QB they like most with their 4th pick. Giants should take a QB second honestly. They shouldn't expect to be picking that high regularly, so they need to make their move now. I could see them taking Barkley, but I feel like that'd be a wasted pick for them given that they need a QB of the future so badly and RBs can be had all throughout the draft.

    Barkley likely won't get beyond the Colts pick though. So if Browns really want him they'll have to take him first. If they do that, then maybe the Giants take one QB but the Browns will be left with one of Darnold - Rosen - Allen - Mayfield. If I'm them, I'd take Allen in a heartbeat. He is going to be a very good QB.

    For the Seahawks, they are in an interesting spot with an aging defensive core. I think we definitely should make a move for Earl Thomas. Originally I would have sent them 2nd and 4th round picks for him, but given what other highly talented players are going for (Talib now for a 5th), I think he could be had for a 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder.

    It's the Browns....you never know what moves they are going to make. They've had some head scratchers. They've had top picks for the last decade, but many times picks a wasted pick. They really should have picked a QB that year that Goff was available but somehow traded away that pick that year, but in other years goes for guys like Manziel. (shakes head)
    Do you see a franchise QB in this draft?

    I just think that Barkely would be super dangerous on the Giants. I wouldn't mind if they pick a good, but not great QB. You can get those in free agency.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,037
    Quote Originally Posted by teddygreen17 View Post
    Browns need an entire team and they need it quick for the fanbase.
    1. Pay AJ McCarron 12mil a season for 3 years
    2. Draft Barkly #1, and Draft best available O-Lineman at #4(trade back and pick up picks and still do this).

    Their draft should be easy.
    Barkely seems like the most talented player, but it's the Browns. Do you think there's a franchise QB in the draft?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Dang you're right about OBJ. He is the same size as Kirk. I didn't realize that. Maybe I'll have to reconsider my position on him haha.

    I agree, I think Vea would be a game changer for our defense. Having someone like him in the middle can be huge for a defense. He may never put up flashy numbers, but I really think he'll be a force in the NFL.
    Having a guy like that in front of him is how Ray Lewis got in the Hall of Fame. Having Siragusa playing in front of him and keeping those OL off of him allowed him to fly freely in for the tackle.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,307
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Do you guys think that the Browns will skip picking Saquon Barkely and pick a quarterback? Because if they do, that means Barkely falls into the laps of the Giants.

    It looks like the Seahawks are dumping most of their defensive stars---they are going to release Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas can be had. Should we stick with the players we have or is there some secondary players out there you like. Richard Sherman's decline and injury makes me nervous, plus he seems to want a lot of money. The Patriots have their sights on him. Also, there are a lot of reports that the Cowboys are looking for wide receivers because of the subpar play of Dez and Terrence Williams last year. Jerry wants to keep Dez, but doesn't like his high price tag.
    Now that they have their QB (for now) I think they will and should draft Barkley #1 overall. Then with the 4the pick Id take Quenton Nelson from Notre Dame. Put him right next to Joe Thomas.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •