Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wolves @ Jazz!

Wolves @ Jazz!

1. Yes I wanted him
    2. I knew that would likely be his role and was ok with it but not sure I necessarily wanted it that way
    3. Bad from every angle tbh, I am lower on our moves than most I think. At least I was in the offseason but negative seems to be growing now too. I think he did a poor job of coaching last year and made win now moves at the expense of the future in part because of it. We still have issues like our offense having no flow/ball movement and tons of standing around but there was enough talent to win games with butler at least.
    4. I think some are in denial about the state of the league with Durante to gs and that's about the only reason I see for not making the trade on your end (unless there were better offers). We have seen a lot of stars moving for cheap recently and IMO it's in part due to that. Without that this move seems much better for us as while we are a 4 seed or whatever when healthy it's not some like huge ridiculous gap in talent etc. but right now this move is great for Bulls and I still think might be a mistake for us. Build for the future around some young talent during a time you weren't going to be competing for a title anyways (even with our talent and additions along with butler we still have a lot of room to make up if we wanna truly contend in the next few years before decline).

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    1. Yes I wanted him
    2. I knew that would likely be his role and was ok with it but not sure I necessarily wanted it that way
    3. Bad from every angle tbh, I am lower on our moves than most I think. At least I was in the offseason but negative seems to be growing now too. I think he did a poor job of coaching last year and made win now moves at the expense of the future in part because of it. We still have issues like our offense having no flow/ball movement and tons of standing around but there was enough talent to win games with butler at least.
    4. I think some are in denial about the state of the league with Durante to gs and that's about the only reason I see for not making the trade on your end (unless there were better offers). We have seen a lot of stars moving for cheap recently and IMO it's in part due to that. Without that this move seems much better for us as while we are a 4 seed or whatever when healthy it's not some like huge ridiculous gap in talent etc. but right now this move is great for Bulls and I still think might be a mistake for us. Build for the future around some young talent during a time you weren't going to be competing for a title anyways (even with our talent and additions along with butler we still have a lot of room to make up if we wanna truly contend in the next few years before decline).
    For question 4, I was asking about the Bulls moving on from Thibs (not trading Butler, although it's not a coincidence that Thibs traded for Butler lol). So do you think the Bulls were right in letting Thibs go and trying to become more acclimated to the state of the league with an offensive-minded coach that understands pace/space and rest?

Wolves @ Jazz!

Ya my answer would still be yes on thibs there too. I kinda feel like he might be the type against any rebuilding and not having the patience to build up (and given the league as I mentioned that's an issue atm and lead to our move for butler). As you said going more modern with the offense and spacing is also a positive IMO as I just am not a fan of our offense (IMO it actually leads to part of our defensive struggles despite the solid ortg it generates we can't stay by the hoop to rebound and recover on d).
    Last edited by mngopher35; 03-04-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Wolves @ Jazz!

Basically I just think with the way the league is going thibs isn't a great option or really adapting to that change very well. It has lead to moves I personally disagree with and he doesn't seem like he is really trying to change much philosophy wise (he will just get his own guys he thinks fits what he wants to do).

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    questions for you T'Wolves fans

1) Before you hired Thibs, did you want to hire him?
    2) Before you hired Thibs, did you want to hire him not just as your head coach but also as the GM?
    3) How do you feel about Thibs currently?
    4) Does your current outlook on Thibs make you think, as an outsider, that the Bulls were right to part ways with him? (Disregarding the manner that they did, which was weird and probably disrespectful, but that's no the point I'm getting at)

wasn't sure if i should make this its own thread as a non-Wolves fan (didn't want anyone to think I was baiting)
    1. I did not want thibs before we hired him. I thought a more modern coach like D'antoni made more sense for our current structure of our team at that time. However, I was ok with the hire initially because of his good overall track record.

2. GM wise I really didn't want to give control over to one person. I would of preferred that the coach and front office was a bit separate.

3. Currently I think thibs has done good some good things but more so I think its been poor. Logical evolution of a team would of dictated that our young core would of grown and learned to play together. Having a GM that's not biased towards wiggins also would of made it possible for us to look at him as objective state rather then a raw talent stand point. He has some of our players engaged in overall better defense but I feel like we threw together a team to be a playoff team rather then looking at the long term structure of our team. I did not like Dunn and I thought coming off of injury Zach Lavine was a rather large risk but was also not sold on the butler trade. Looking back at it I might of preferred to role with our young core of players and see how they developed. Thibs lack of offensive structure is maddening and is a big reason why any team coached by him will not win a championship. D'Antoni at least has his players in the mid of the pack in defense.

4. The bulls were rebuilding an identity with a hodge podge of players that didn't fit together. they really didn't have much of a choice if they wanted to rebuild to a more modern nba system. The vets also would of been a determinant in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Looking at our schedule, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we missed the cut. Towns is great offensively but we don't even use him right. The rest of the roster is either wasted talent or not good enough. Thibs is an issue as well.

16 games to go. Need to go 7-9 to hit my prediction. I am not even sure we do that...

We were 29-16 at one point. 45 wins means we finish 16-21. I am starting to think it might get worse.
    It's concerning, to say the least.

Unfortunately, we're just not a very good basketball team without Jimmy on the court.

The Boston game will be a big test for us. I really hope our guys show some fight. We'll be well rested, it's a home game against a tough playoff team - I think it'll really show us where we're at.

2) Before you hired Thibs, did you want to hire him not just as your head coach but also as the GM?
    4) Does your current outlook on Thibs make you think, as an outsider, that the Bulls were right to part ways with him? (Disregarding the manner that they did, which was weird and probably disrespectful, but that's no the point I'm getting at)

wasn't sure if i should make this its own thread as a non-Wolves fan (didn't want anyone to think I was baiting)
    1) No, preferred rumored alternative of JVG.
    2) No, but felt it was acceptable if necessary to acquire a "named" coach.
    3) Not a fan - does not adjust. Too much of a "grinder".
    4) Much like Lebron leaving Cleveland, it was never about the decision (it was about "The Decision"). Without the smear campaign, it merely is a change of voice and understandable especially with how high the Chicago organization appeared to be on Fred Hoiberg.

I had much higher hopes for this team prior to this last June when Thibs traded away Rubio (who he appeared to have no interest in regardless) and Lavine (who I felt even then would be better than Wiggins).

https://sports.yahoo.com/karl-anthon...052657451.html

happened to be on yahoo sports to check scores today and saw this. It doesn't even cover the weak flagrant but ya I mean it was really obvious to anyone watching the refs were just absolutely horrible this game and what Towns did happens all the time. People always yell like that when they want the and one and stuff almost always without it being called unless they leave play and go up in their face or something weird.

Refs need to be more consistent, it's a major problem imo and one of the tweets even says something like NBA refs power tripping.To me the refs in the NBA do get into ego/grudge type stuff at times which is more annoying than the complaining from players to me since they are supposed to keep the game under control and instead that stuff sends it spiraling. If you wanna start giving T's for that go ahead that is no issue to me but it cant be so absurdly inconsistent.
    Last edited by mngopher35; 03-05-2018 at 01:03 AM.

1. Yes, with what was out there
    2. Meh, we knew that was probably part of the deal. But you never want a guy with the control to manipulate his own roster without being strategic either
    3. His offense is beyond basic, and his defense may very well be archaic
    4. I don't know enough detail about why the Bulls parted with him honestly

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

1) I recall most on here being okay with the hiring at the time. I personally didn't mind it, with who else was available. I think at the time fans were sort of hoping for one of Thibs, JVG or Mark Jackson. However, most of us also thought Thibs would have learnt that playing his starters 40mpg is not sustainable
    2) I don't like the coach/GM combo for anyone, personally. If Pops said he'd only coach here if he had both titles, obviously I'd be okay with it. But 90+% of the time, I think it's better they be separate (nothing against Thibs)
    3) He cares a hell of a lot about winning, I respect him for that. But there are a lot of things wrong with his old-school coaching style. His rotations are horrific. He can be very short-sighted.
    He plays our inconsistent guys too regularly. A lot of us complain about how on some nights, it seems like Wiggins would rather be at home on the couch - but at the same time, Thibs is the one keeping him in the game. If he's not going to be 'disciplined', why would he change his style? He knows whether he lights it up or completely sucks it up, he's still going to be playing 40 minutes a night.
    4) same as someone said earlier, don't really know enough about the situation in Chicago - I think at this stage he'd probably be better off as a lead assistant or defensive coach or something similar. As good a move as the Butler trade was, I don't know if the rest of the team has improved much, if at all, since he's been here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12