Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 304
  1. #286
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    22,510
    Quote Originally Posted by AllBall View Post
    The NCAA starts paying it's athletes. You can put it into a trust fund where the player can only redeem after graduation or 10 years after freshman year (which ever comes first).

    But I don't see any of that happening at all.
    They already do pay them, they just need to pay them more, but it needs to be immediate not in 10 years.

  2. #287
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Drink All Day, Play All Night, Let's Get It Poppin
    Posts
    4,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    They already do pay them, they just need to pay them more, but it needs to be immediate not in 10 years.
    What do they pay them outside of scholarships? The payout on graduation would be a good incentive. The 10 years is to deter gaming the system.

  3. #288
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    22,510
    Quote Originally Posted by AllBall View Post
    What do they pay them outside of scholarships? The payout on graduation would be a good incentive. The 10 years is to deter gaming the system.
    The get around $10 a day IIRC. They probably would not be so pissed if it was just $50 a day which would be closer to minimum wage at least.

  4. #289
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    18,893
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Better replacement players.
    nah... what players are added to the pool? Its like arguing to give a McDonalds employee $15 an hour instead of $10 ... the employer gets nothing out of it

  5. #290
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    18,893
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Not only that but playing a D1 high money sport (football and basketball) require so much time that actually getting a good education is going to be really difficult for everyone except the most exceptional students. Are we really expecting 18 year olds to do this: http://www.businessinsider.com/colle...cticing-2015-1

    And then spend enough time on academics to do well? I expect at least 3 hours a week of work per credit hour. That's what I expect of my B- C+ students. So bare minimum to not embarrass yourself. 15 credits*3 = 45 + 40 hours on sports. That is an 85 hour work week for relatively **** grades. That's insane. D1 sports are ****ing stupid from an academic perspective. Let me repeat that. D1 sports are ****ing stupid from an academic perspective. The only way any of it would make any sense is to play all D1 sports in the summer.

    If you can be a professional athlete be a professional athlete and when your knees give out... come to college.
    yeah... all of those guys getting into college would get in without the athletics LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

  6. #291
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    18,893
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    **** the NBA. The ****ing NCAA shouldn't subsidize the NBA. **** them.
    ok...

    so lets say it right... **** the NBA/NBAPA because that is why there isn't a minor league system at this point... the players and the league don't think it is a good investment of NBA Revenue

  7. #292
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    18,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    So, the proposed solution is (please correct me if I'm wrong):

    - The NBA requires every NBA team to buy and finance a g-league team.
    - The NBA requires every NBA team to fill the roster with players on two-way contracts.
    - Those players are not actually under control of the NBA teams because that would require approval of the NBAPA in the CBA.
    - g-league players are given incentivized future college scholarships.

    So, my issues from there are:

    - How do players end up on certain g-league teams? Are they drafted by the team?
    - How much control does the team have of that player? 5 years? (that would be approximately equivalent of the one college year and a 4 year rookie contract)
    - How do you determine what their NBA contract will be if they are called up to the NBA?
    - Are g-league players capable of re-entering the draft after spending time in the g-league?
    - How do you ensure g-league staffs maximize a player publicly and don't just work like scouts for their owner team?
    quit using logic... this thread is all about the outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #293
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    18,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't misunderstand it, I don't agree that there is no benefit to players or the NBA in the requirement.

    Every year there are players who go un-drafted who admit that they would have had a better chance of being drafted had they stayed in school another year to develop. The draft is so random largely because of lack of data, I simply don't see how you can deny this fact. We know that if we were to re-do the 2016 draft with 2 more years of data that the results would be different. Those players who would be at the top in a re-draft would do better financially, and the teams throughout the draft would do better as teams because they would make more informed choices.

    It's unfathomable to me that you actually think less data is a positive.
    you are headed down the valade black hole of logic... don't fall for it

    the fact that the NBA has done everything in its power to assure they get MORE evaluation time of players and pay them LESS (rookie scale) is all the proof anyone needs that they think it is the best system for their enterprise...

    we all can't be expert talent evaluators like Valade

  9. #294
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Drink All Day, Play All Night, Let's Get It Poppin
    Posts
    4,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    ok...

    so lets say it right... **** the NBA/NBAPA because that is why there isn't a minor league system at this point... the players and the league don't think it is a good investment of NBA Revenue
    The NBPA does not represent non NBA players. Players signed to an NBA contract (or two-way contract) are represented by the Player's Union.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The get around $10 a day IIRC. They probably would not be so pissed if it was just $50 a day which would be closer to minimum wage at least.
    Wow, that's worse than what I imagined.

  10. #295
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    18,893
    Quote Originally Posted by AllBall View Post
    Also, wanted to add something...as I read and understood, David Stern didn't want players coming straight out of HS to the NBA. So they wanted to implement a 4 year waiting period post-high school. In the end they pussyfooted it and decided on 1 year, which has possibly created a bigger mess than if they required 4, because players might have opted to go overseas instead and that might have ruined college basketball. Either way, they're going to have to ruin college basketball anyways by taking all the top future talent and putting it in the G-Leauge.
    he didn't pussyfoot it... the ****ing NBAPA wouldn't agree to more than 1 year... the league would definitely increase the waiting period if the NBAPA would agree to it... its not even a question.

  11. #296
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    18,893
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    First, 40/60 is not bad, that's not really materially worse than players that go to college and flame out, so what exactly is your argument?

    Second, what criteria do you use if not money made? Years in the league? Whatever you think the success rate is according to your personal opinion?

    Honestly, if you think someone ruined their life and career if they played in the NBA for a decade and made over $40 million dollars by not going to college, it's a pretty pathetic argument. Everyone here on PSD would change their professional success for that level of "failure" any day of the week.
    LMFAO

    You have spent the last 6 pages arguing that your judgement on the topic is better than league professionals who implemented the policy

    talk about hubris

  12. #297
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    18,893
    Quote Originally Posted by AllBall View Post
    The NBPA does not represent non NBA players. Players signed to an NBA contract (or two-way contract) are represented by the Player's Union.
    seriously dude... read the context of what I was responding to... your response has nothing to do with it...

    we all understand how the G League works as currently constructed... what you are ignoring and what my point was is WHY the G league is currently constructed the way it is ...

  13. #298
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    22,510
    Quote Originally Posted by AllBall View Post
    The NBPA does not represent non NBA players. Players signed to an NBA contract (or two-way contract) are represented by the Player's Union.



    Wow, that's worse than what I imagined.
    The NBAPA negotiates the CBA with the NBA and the CBA is what sets the rules on how many players a team can employ and how the draft is run. High school and college players who want to be in the NBA are definitely effected by the NBAPA.

  14. #299
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Drink All Day, Play All Night, Let's Get It Poppin
    Posts
    4,655
    Fair enough.

  15. #300
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    22,510
    Interesting issue came up that sort of mirrors what I was talking about with the vagaries of g-league contracts proposed. The Clippers two-way player Wallace has hit his NBA 45 day limit and he refused the 4 year NBA contract contract and if they bring him back up he goes to the automatic NBA minimum contract and becomes a free agent at the end of this year. If he stays down in the g-league he becomes a free agent. The Clippers have also used up NBA days of their other two-way contract and are having contract issues with him as well. The Clippers are also desperate to not go over the tax threshold.

    Add to that that even though it's "only" $75k for the two-way contracts there are several two-way contracts that teams have not used. Some teams are ALREADY resisting the g-league, requiring it will be met with some significant resistance by some teams at least and I think probably by the NBAPA as well.

    I suspect the NBA will talk about it and then leave it to the NCAA or whatever they call whatever organization regulates college athletics in the future.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •