Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Kevin Smith nearly died yesterday

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...und/372157002/

"The Doctor who saved my life told me I had 100% blockage of my LAD artery (aka “the Widow-Maker”)," Smith wrote on Twitter.*"If I hadn’t canceled show 2 to go to the hospital, I would’ve died tonight. But for now, I’m still above ground!"

Yeah, hope he gets better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saw this last week. He said he reflected on his life and realized he is happy if he were to go now. I guess we should all look at a few things, like what is really important in life.

if you were to die today, would you be happy with your life?
    if you were to get terminally sick, who would watch you die, or, be by your side?
    if you were to die today, how many lives would REALLY be impacted?

Losing my Mom, and seeing the absolute overwhelming number of people that were there the last 6 months, made me realize that there are only a few real important things in this life. I read Kevin's statements last week, and he clearly gets that. Wouldn't it be awesome to live your life knowing you haven't wasted any of it?

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    saw this last week. He said he reflected on his life and realized he is happy if he were to go now. I guess we should all look at a few things, like what is really important in life.

if you were to die today, would you be happy with your life?
    if you were to get terminally sick, who would watch you die, or, be by your side?
    if you were to die today, how many lives would REALLY be impacted?

Losing my Mom, and seeing the absolute overwhelming number of people that were there the last 6 months, made me realize that there are only a few real important things in this life. I read Kevin's statements last week, and he clearly gets that. Wouldn't it be awesome to live your life knowing you haven't wasted any of it?
    I don't want to think about this now because last month I was in a huge depression and pretty much told my wife that

1) Hell no. I feel so unaccomplished.
    2) My wife and a few close family members, probably some of her friends... I don't have too many anymore, by my own doing, as I've isolated myself more and more over the years.
    3) My wife and family.

I'm trying to keep things in perspective and focus on what I do have. I have a wife that is an everlasting support system. I have a roof over my head and food in the kitchen. I have caring parents. I have creativity. I have a lot of days yet to live.

It's up to me to make the most of it. I've started reaching out and trying to re-establish those relationships that I let deteriorate and we will see how that goes; people move on as lives go in different directions and I've felt resistance from some, but also complete willingness and even eagerness from others. I can't undo anything but I can certainly raise my effort to hold up my end of the bargain and I plan to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    I don't want to think about this now because last month I was in a huge depression and pretty much told my wife that

1) Hell no. I feel so unaccomplished.
    2) My wife and a few close family members, probably some of her friends... I don't have too many anymore, by my own doing, as I've isolated myself more and more over the years.
    3) My wife and family.

I'm trying to keep things in perspective and focus on what I do have. I have a wife that is an everlasting support system. I have a roof over my head and food in the kitchen. I have caring parents. I have creativity. I have a lot of days yet to live.

It's up to me to make the most of it. I've started reaching out and trying to re-establish those relationships that I let deteriorate and we will see how that goes; people move on as lives go in different directions and I've felt resistance from some, but also complete willingness and even eagerness from others. I can't undo anything but I can certainly raise my effort to hold up my end of the bargain and I plan to do that.
    I feel you man. Watching my Mom the last 6 months of her life, I started to think about these questions, a LOT. Unaccomplished? I hope you don't mean work or financial success, because that doesn't matter at the end. Yes, it's great to leave behind financial help for loved ones, but it's only money.

I think I am similar to you, in that I let friendships fizzle out, because it's hard to remain close to people.

Ever thought about volunteering at a Children's hospital, or a retirement center, or anywhere? Ever thought of randomly walking up to a person who lives on the street and asking them what you can do to help? Ever thought about giving to charity, even if you can only afford a few bucks? How about trying to find a place that helps inner city kids without fathers, or anything like that?

Idk, I also felt like I could have accomplished so much more to date. But, we can't go back in the past. It's hard man, my Mom was so giving, had REAL friends, and was just so positive, and it rubbed off on everyone around her. It's HARD to be that way. But I am trying every day. Instead of ignoring someone struggling to get groceries in their car when its 7 degrees out, I tried to help them. Or volunteer, etc.

It's scary to really answer those questions. "Who is going to watch you die?". That is really scary. But there is still time to change it, ya know?

I know you were/are dealing with some stuff too, I remember your post a few weeks ago. I hope you get what you and your wife want, a child awakens some of what you are likely missing in your life. But there are a bunch of other ways to get it too..

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Honestly, I don’t care about how much of an impact I made on people. The way I look at it, is that you enjoy yourself while you are here.

People move on and life goes on without you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post

People move on and life goes on without you.
    this is how i feel about diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I feel you man. Watching my Mom the last 6 months of her life, I started to think about these questions, a LOT. Unaccomplished? I hope you don't mean work or financial success, because that doesn't matter at the end. Yes, it's great to leave behind financial help for loved ones, but it's only money.

I think I am similar to you, in that I let friendships fizzle out, because it's hard to remain close to people.

Ever thought about volunteering at a Children's hospital, or a retirement center, or anywhere? Ever thought of randomly walking up to a person who lives on the street and asking them what you can do to help? Ever thought about giving to charity, even if you can only afford a few bucks? How about trying to find a place that helps inner city kids without fathers, or anything like that?

Idk, I also felt like I could have accomplished so much more to date. But, we can't go back in the past. It's hard man, my Mom was so giving, had REAL friends, and was just so positive, and it rubbed off on everyone around her. It's HARD to be that way. But I am trying every day. Instead of ignoring someone struggling to get groceries in their car when its 7 degrees out, I tried to help them. Or volunteer, etc.

It's scary to really answer those questions. "Who is going to watch you die?". That is really scary. But there is still time to change it, ya know?

I know you were/are dealing with some stuff too, I remember your post a few weeks ago. I hope you get what you and your wife want, a child awakens some of what you are likely missing in your life. But there are a bunch of other ways to get it too..
    I'm working on being productive with every bit of free time I have available. I've spent too much of my time as a homebody whose biggest desire is just to watch tv or play video games or surf the web, whatever it may be. I'm just a recluse at heart and somehow I was fortunate enough to find a woman who is patient with me but also encouraging and so positive that it inspires me and allows me to come out of my shell at my own pace, despite her being as outgoing as they come. I've spent a lot of time wondering why we work so well but it's just that yin and yang dynamic. It really holds true for us. Finding her and putting a ring on it is my biggest accomplishment IMO. She is a lot like your mom was it seems. She will have a room full of flowers and people by her bedside when that time comes, for sure. I'm trying to even have a fraction of the selflessness she naturally exudes.

I'm a kind person and when called upon I will help but I'm not necessarily the type to put myself out there without some prompt. There were also many times in my 20s where people invited me to hang out and I would flake, sometimes due to desire to be home, sometimes out of social anxiety, and when you do that enough and build up that reputation, eventually they stop calling, and before you know it, you feel trapped in that lonely space you used to cherish.

I have a feeling that some are going to say, oh boo hoo, but it is what it is. Maybe I'm hitting the proverbial midlife crisis. I've been a little emo here lately but I'm trying not to be heavy-handed with it and I respect if somebody feels that I should just stfu about it and deal. As I mentioned in the dream thread in GD I have started seeing a therapist and it has been extremely helpful. My issues aren't that bad and I definitely recognize that in comparison to a lot of people across the globe I'm living the glamour life. I try to keep things in perspective but life has handed me a shitload of lemons these last few months and I've found myself juggling them more than juicing them. Although the last, I dunno, 3 weeks or so, I've felt like I bounced off of near rock bottom with aplomb.

As far as the desire for children, it will always be there. As a matter of fact the genetic testing came back inconclusive, but we are not going to stop trying, and took this latest setback way, way, better than we did the one prior. We've been between the sheets a lot lately.

You know what, if I could volunteer on my days off to be like a big brother to a child in need, I think that would be amazing and fulfilling. That's a great idea and I'm going to look into it. All of those suggestions are great and may be just what I need right now. I'm a person who often gives to the homeless if I have cash on me and I've bought meals for people begging on the street but I've usually shied away from conversing with them beyond wishing them luck on the day.

TL;DR but I do believe that you should have a memorable impact on people you come into contact with and I feel like too often I haven't exactly practiced what I preach and I'm determined to make that change. When I talk about being unaccomplished I don't mean financially, but, I haven't really... done anything. I wasted a lot of time bullshitting. So many days melded together because nothing notable happened as I sat idle. But I still have a lot of days ahead of me.

How much influence did your wife have on your decision to stop smoking trees?

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Definitely some but it is something I'd been wanting to do (again) for quite some time. Having her support has allowed me to stay on track.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/cel...mage=BBHsCAf|1

He has lost 43 pounds since his heart attack.