Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle lights

Bicycle lights

I'm having a hard time deciding which light set I should purchase. My commute is fairly easy, 5m one-way, designated bike path on the side of the street, well-lit - so I don't necessarily need the brightest light. But I'll be riding at 4 am and want the cars to have no difficulty spotting me. What I'm finding though as I peruse Amazon is that a lot of these sets, even the ones with the best average review/volume, tend to not hold a charge after a relatively short life. I wouldn't mind buying a set where you have to replace batteries instead for this reason. However many of those have their own cons as well.

Anyone have experience with a set that they've used for multiple years without major issues?
    Last edited by WOwolfOL; 02-25-2018 at 03:35 PM.

In all honesty, I would head down to a bike shop and have them give you some demos and get their reviews. There's an awesome shop in my town that would gladly do that for you. Then you be all shady and say you have to think about, go home and find the best deal online.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    In all honesty, I would head down to a bike shop and have them give you some demos and get their reviews. There's an awesome shop in my town that would gladly do that for you. Then you be all shady and say you have to think about, go home and find the best deal online.
    I can definitely do that but I want somebody who can vouch for durability and longevity without the fear of losing a sale. The demos can show me performance but I want to know about the performance after they've been put through the wringer so to speak.

A lot of these things seemingly die out of nowhere per Amazon reviews.
    Last edited by WOwolfOL; 02-25-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Do you have a fanny pack? If so what kind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Do you have a fanny pack? If so what kind?

Do you have a point? If so, make it.

In college I commuted 20 miles round trip, 4 to 5 days a week on a busy 2-lane road in NJ for a year. I rode as late as 2 am and in snow or freezing rain. I never used a light and yeah ever since I wonder how I never got hit. Are lights required where you are?
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    In college I commuted 20 miles round trip, 4 to 5 days a week on a busy 2-lane road in NJ for a year. I rode as late as 2 am and in snow or freezing rain. I never used a light and yeah ever since I wonder how I never got hit. Are lights required where you are?
    You can get tickets if you don't have them, yeah. Drivers are so negligent and there's been many instances where I could have gotten destroyed if I didn't sense that they didn't see me or weren't paying attention to anything except for what's directly in their path.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    I can definitely do that but I want somebody who can vouch for durability and longevity without the fear of losing a sale. The demos can show me performance but I want to know about the performance after they've been put through the wringer so to speak.

A lot of these things seemingly die out of nowhere per Amazon reviews.
    Do you want battery operated or chargeable?
    Mounted or removable?

There are tons of lights. You also want to get a taillight.

I highly recommend ones that flash.

The new Yankee star, Luke Voit

Do you have a point? If so, make it.
    Style might play into the decision

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    You're old.
    There were fewer cars.

The new Yankee star, Luke Voit

https://villagecycle.com/product/bla...t-246491-1.htm

Get 2 of those. One for the front, one for the back. Keep both of them as "flashing" since you won't need the front one to light up your path since you're already on a well-lit road. the "Flash" makes you clearly visible. The "Flash" also gives you a longer battery life.

Using them for 50 minutes a day (5 miles = 25 minutes with traffic lights) you should be able to recharge them once a week. I charge them less, and I don't use them as often. Takes maybe 2 hours to fully charge.

Best bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Do you want battery operated or chargeable?
    Mounted or removable?

There are tons of lights. You also want to get a taillight.

I highly recommend ones that flash.
    Would definitely like one that is rechargeable provided it doesn't go kaput after 10-15 uses like many of them seemingly do. I plan to use the flash setting almost exclusively and surely get the taillight as well. There are a ton of opportunists out there so I definitely want a removable one.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Style might play into the decision

I don't wear a pack. I like to wear joggers with zipper pockets. I travel pretty light.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    https://villagecycle.com/product/bla...t-246491-1.htm

Get 2 of those. One for the front, one for the back. Keep both of them as "flashing" since you won't need the front one to light up your path since you're already on a well-lit road. the "Flash" makes you clearly visible. The "Flash" also gives you a longer battery life.

Using them for 50 minutes a day (5 miles = 25 minutes with traffic lights) you should be able to recharge them once a week. I charge them less, and I don't use them as often. Takes maybe 2 hours to fully charge.

Best bang for your buck.
    How long have you had that particular one? Looks like a really good deal. Appreciate it.

How long have you had that particular one? Looks like a really good deal. Appreciate it.
    Bought 4 in September (2 for me, 2 for the fiance). Fiance uses the bike more (weather-permitting she bikes 4 miles to work each way 5 days a week). Haven't had a problem with them at all. You can easily adjust them to to specific locations on the handlebar/bike itself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast