Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Tomas Plekanec to Toronto Maple Leafs for 2nd Rounder 2018 and More

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...c-maple-leafs/

Thoughts?

The Montreal Canadiens have traded centre Tomas Plekanec and forward Kyle Baun to the Toronto Maple Leafs for defenceman Rinat Valiev, forward Kerby Rychel and a 2018 second-round draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    When is the last time the Leafs and Habs made a trade?

Nice trade.
    Mikhail Grabovski.

He's either going to fit in really well under the radar or used as a scapegoat. For a 4C I think you're better with a Glendening in terms of pure grit, hustle and shutdown ability.

When is the last time the Leafs and Habs made a trade?

Nice trade.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Mikhail Grabovski.

He's either going to fit in really well under the radar or used as a scapegoat. For a 4C I think you're better with a Glendening in terms of pure grit, hustle and shutdown ability.
    I would like Glendening if we actually used him in that 4th line role, but Babcocks usage of him scared the crap out of me. He'll probably use Plekanec the same way but at least it's only a 1 year commitment from us.
    2015 Re-Draft Dream Team

Hall-Backes-Cammalleri
    Lupul-Bjugstad-Brown
    Rieder-Rakell-Hayes
    Jaskin-Jenner-Stempniak

McDonagh-Doughty
    Orpik-Jones
    Campbell-Gudbranson

Bernier
    Tokarski

Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss:32193016

Mikhail Grabovski.

I had a feeling it was recent. I miss Grabo.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

This is a good trade. Plekanec isn't an offensive threat anymore but he's solid two way PK guy. Rychel and Valiev were never going to make this team. We still have another 2nd this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    I would like Glendening if we actually used him in that 4th line role, but Babcocks usage of him scared the crap out of me. He'll probably use Plekanec the same way but at least it's only a 1 year commitment from us.
    Who's going to bump him out with Matthews-Kadri-Bozak? Add in Marner, Nylander, JVR, Komarov, Brown and Hyman on the wings. Glenny is one of the best shutdown centers in the league and has shutdown legitimate talent in the playoffs. Blashill just has used him so poorly in the past, giving him top six minutes. If Toronto beats Boston in round 1 you have Tampa Bay. Glenny is the only player that I've seen stop Tyler Johnson who is a ****ing animal in the playoffs. Stopped Stammer too.

A second rounder doesn't have a crazy high success rate.

So our centre depth with a healthy Matthews..

Matthews
    Kadri
    Bozak
    Plekanec

It's not Crosby, Malkin, Brassard but that's a deep 4 lines in the middle of the ice.

The 4th line will end up Komarov, Plekanec, Kapanen. That 2nd rounder is the Leafs own 2nd not San Jose's.

This gives Babcock the option to switch back and forth from Plekanec and Kadri playing against the opponents top line. Should free Kadri up a little more offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    This gives Babcock the option to switch back and forth from Plekanec and Kadri playing against the opponents top line. Should free Kadri up a little more offensively.
    I could see a Komarov - Plekanec - Brown line becoming our 1st shutdown line and then having Marleau - Kadri - Marner as the 2nd

An example against Boston: Plekanec's line against Bergeron and Kadri vs Kreijci. I like those matchups a lot more

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    I could see a Komarov - Plekanec - Brown line becoming our 1st shutdown line and then having Marleau - Kadri - Marner as the 2nd

An example against Boston: Plekanec's line against Bergeron and Kadri vs Kreijci. I like those matchups a lot more
    I could see that too. I mean the Leafs are loaded offensively but now having the option to have 2 sound lines defensively is such a bonus. I really hope they upgrade the D by 3pm tomorrow. This team is pretty loaded and we haven't even mentioned how good Andersen is yet. It wouldn't be a shock if this team beat Boston, Tampa or Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    I could see that too. I mean the Leafs are loaded offensively but now having the option to have 2 sound lines defensively is such a bonus. I really hope they upgrade the D by 3pm tomorrow. This team is pretty loaded and we haven't even mentioned how good Andersen is yet. It wouldn't be a shock if this team beat Boston, Tampa or Pittsburgh.
    It would be a shock however, if they beat all 3 of them.