Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should AR-15s be legal to own?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, no restrictions.

1 3.23%
  • Yes, severe restrictions.

10 32.26%
  • No, why would someone need it?

20 64.52%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    The background check thing is the biggest farce. How the hell do you check someone's background and expect to prevent a future incident? People seem to think it's the same as fortune telling. How many mass shooters were felons?
    A background check could tell you if a person has a history of mental illness. But it is also important to keep guns out of hands of repeat criminals. It seems like common sense that you wouldn't want someone who was convicted of armed robbery to be able to go and buy a gun legally.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post
    You're absolutely right, we SHOULDN'T need to take those kinds of precautions at schools. Hell, we SHOULDN'T need to take those precautions anywhere. But this is the world we live in. Even with added gun control (which I do support), there will always be the ones that fall thru the cracks. That's not even considering if somebody wanted to use a bomb, knife, etc for inflicting harm. Why not have an extra level of security against everything? The message to our children would be "Hey, we are doing this as an extra precaution to protect you". The Billions of dollars used to increase security could be all or mostly covered by increasing taxes on firearms/ammunition. Plus spending money in a smart way hasn't been a concern for our country in 40 years, so its whatever.
    ok, you got me there haha

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    A background check could tell you if a person has a history of mental illness. But it is also important to keep guns out of hands of repeat criminals. It seems like common sense that you wouldn't want someone who was convicted of armed robbery to be able to go and buy a gun legally.
    Define mental illness.

Regardless, a background check might not reveal anything. Your medical records are private and protected.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Define mental illness.

Regardless, a background check might not reveal anything. Your medical records are private and protected.
    Well the whole point of background check reform would be to find a way to capture this info somehow in the background check process.....

Define mental illness.

being a Timberwolves fan

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I don't think the second amendment should automatically provide complete protection for the most powerful weapons. When the second amendment (and the rest of the U.S. Constitution) was written, AR-15 type of guns did not exist. The guns back then fired one shot, and then you had to reload the gunpowder by shoving a metal rod down the rifle barrel. I think that should be taken into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Oh right that's why we know so many of the 'survivor' names, they're plastered all over CNN town hall meetings, they're lecturing us on which rights we don't need anymore, and we know all there is to know about the shooting. I also don't recall the 24/7 media coverage of the protest marches around the country, which were about as organic as a Monsanto cranapple.

Please, Vegas stinks and they know it. That's why any news that comes up about it doesn't survive a single news cycle. The only thing the media wants us to remember about Vegas is that guns=babykillers.

Largest school shooting in America was with handguns. But anyone who knows what they're talking about understands this, that's why so many don't see any reason to bother leftist concerns. Everyone knows they argue in bad faith and that "common sense gun control" means no semi-auto rifles, handguns, or shotguns and once we still have crime after that they'll come for ammunition and we'll be told the 2nd Amendment actually jsut means you get a muzzle-loading musket (rifles are too dangerous).

Fortunately I think it's all going to fail because it's too late. 3D printed guns are already mostly here, and once we can print metal the parts that need to be machined it's all over. Plus there are over 300 million guns already in circulation - it'd have to be a massive gun grab to change anything and that would trigger a civil war, in which case the establishment loses everything. Tyrants will be tyrants, however.
    First two Boldeds: Again, there was wall to wall coverage for a solid month after that. Heck, we even had the details of his wife being in like Indonesia with a literal clock ticking down when she came back to the states. There was even follow-ups commenting on the fact we still had no motive. You can think Vegas stinks all you want, what you can't do is lie to everyone and say there was no news coverage. Vegas was all over the news, and if you dispute that you either weren't watching or have some ulterior agenda or motive for pushing such an obviously BS narrative.

Third Bolded: First, nice way of caveating only school shooting, guess you knew trying to claim that had the Vegas shooter had handguns he'd have caused just as much damage was too ridiculous to try and posit? And the most casualties from an allied air raid operation during WWII was by conventional bombs and not the Atom Bomb, guess nuclear missiles are not that dangerous. On average, a mass shooting with a semi-auto rifle will kill more than a pistol.

Anyone who doubts that a semi-auto rifle is more capable of doing mass damage than a handgun has probably never fired either, or to put another way, there's a reason I as a Soldier am given an M4 as a standard weapon in combat and not an M9.
    Last edited by valade16; 02-27-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Define mental illness.

When did the standard become if something isn't 100% effective it isn't worth having at all?

Will background checks stop 100% of the wrong people from owning firearms? No. Will it stop some? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    When did the standard become if something isn't 100% effective it isn't worth having at all?

Will background checks stop 100% of the wrong people from owning firearms? No. Will it stop some? Yes.
    I dont think u understand. Medical records are private. A background check will not reveal whether someone has a mental illness. It will reveal criminal activity - mental illness or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by valade16:32196613
    Define mental illness.

There are DUI laws which are enforced. Does it stop people completely from driving drunk? No. Are there still DUI fatalities? Yes. Do these laws save lives and mitigate the amount of loss? Yes.

Foolish argument to not have laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet:32196625
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post

I dont think u understand. Medical records are private. A background check will not reveal whether someone has a mental illness. It will reveal criminal activity - mental illness or not.

If a patient is a physical threat to others or themselves a mental health professional is required to report it to the authorities. What you are arguing does not fall under patient/doctor confidentuality.

I do understand, medical records are private because of the HIPAA, but medical records can be obtained across government agencies for legitimate reasons, which this law could allow for.

sure but it could be made so any doctor that deems a person will an illness defined as one that should not be allowed to carry a gun, it's reported and that person can no longer purchase a weapon.

Define mental illness.

Who said anything about them checking medical records? There are many other ways that background checks can give useful information about whether an individual should be allowed to own a weapon. Mental illness calls can be made to police which can show up in the police portion of the check. You could have mental institutions forced to submit names of patients that doctors deem unsuitable, in the same manner a doctor can get your drivers license revoked for epilepsy.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Who said anything about them checking medical records? There are many other ways that background checks can give useful information about whether an individual should be allowed to own a weapon. Mental illness calls can be made to police which can show up in the police portion of the check. You could have mental institutions forced to submit names of patients that doctors deem unsuitable, in the same manner a doctor can get your drivers license revoked for epilepsy.
    Yup, I'm sure that if/when something like this happens, that's just what they'll do. Your license can be revoked/suspended for many medical reasons. I wouldn't see why they couldn't do the same for gun ownership/licensing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast