Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Adam Silver discuss 1-16 Playoff Format

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/a...is-top-hurdle/

I've said in the past, the obstacle is travel, and it's not tradition in my mind, at least. It's that as we've added an extra week to the regular season, as we've tried to reduce the number of back-to-backs, that we are concerned about teams crisscrossing the country in the first round, for example. We are just concerned about the overall travel that we would have in the top 16 teams.

Having said that, you also would like to have a format where your two best teams are ultimately going to meet in the Finals, and obviously, if it's the top team in the East and the top team in the West, I'm not saying this is the case this year, but you could have a situation where the top two teams in the league are meeting in the conference finals or somewhere else.

So we're going to continue to look at that. It's still my hope that we're going to figure out ways. Maybe ultimately you have to add even more days to the season to spread it out a little bit more to deal with the travel. Maybe air travel will get better. All things we'll keep looking at.
    It's my hope that they do something like this. I'd love to see a mixture of conferences for the playoff matchups, as I think it would be super interesting.

If the NBA playoffs started today, the playoffs would look like this:

1. [1]Houston Rockets
      [2]Golden State Warriors
      [16]Miami Heat
      [15]New Orleans Pelicans

[8]Washington Wizards
      [7]Minnesota Timberwolves
      [9]Indiana Pacers
      [10]Milwaukee Bucks

[5]Cleveland Cavaliers
      [6]San Antonio Spurs
      [12]Denver Nuggets
      [11]Oklahoma City Thunder

[4]Boston Celtics
      [3]Toronto Raptors
      [13]Portland Trailblazers
      [14]Philadelphia 76ers

The Baker is coming.

Yes. I am fine with that. The top 2 teams should play in the finals. Not in the wcf like the past few years.

Would love a Bucks and warriors second round series. Can see the Bucks pulling the upset. We play them well. I'll say Bucks in 5 or 6

I'd absolutely love to see this implemented.

I get the whole travel thing. That would suck. But all they’d need to do is add an extra travel day for those teams going coast to coast.

Yes, yes, and yes. Do it. Don’t even wait. Do it now.

They should just get rid of the east and west..

I think it would definitely make for an overall increase in quality throughout the post-season. No longer would we have to endure one-sided first rounds, wondering why an elite contender has to blow out an #8 seed four times because the rules say so. We also have those 3vs6/4vs5 matchups where it’s a contentious series and usually the higher seed wins. With these new rules, it would mean more interesting and exciting matchups than there currently are in the first round. No longer would we see 8 solid teams and 8 other “meh” teams with .500 records or worse sneaking in.

The division rule helped stop a second round showdown between elite teams, but this new idea would definitely IMO ensure the best two teams survive until the finals. How many times have you heard analysts say “The NBA champion comes from the West”? Sure, the Cavs knocked out the Warriors one year, but it kills the excitement knowing that the WCF is the Finals because the eastern conference is so much weaker. I like the Celtics, Cavaliers and Raptors too, but like I said, it’s probably going to be the Warriors/Rockets (maybe Spurs) title this year.

Those eastern teams may not survive to the Finals in this new format and it would cause good changes in trades/roster building/free agency too. You’d still have a chance to see a dud series like proposed up above (e.g. Pelicans/Warriors, lol), but we’re at least not seeing two of those first round snoozefests and drowsy second rounds either. No more coasting, and imagine LeBron’s face if he had to face the Spurs in the first round or another team’s misfortune should they lose position at the wrong time. You would still see top seeds versus the very bottom ones, but it would likely be westVSeast, a nice change of pace as the top east team (if they got a high seed) may have trouble with a lower-ranked western team (since west standings are usually close). Use the season series to determine who wins tie-breakers if east/west team have same record and implement the division rule somehow.
    Last edited by kobe4thewinbang; 02-19-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Yes. I am fine with that. The top 2 teams should play in the finals. Not in the wcf like the past few years.

Would love a Bucks and warriors second round series. Can see the Bucks pulling the upset. We play them well. I'll say Bucks in 5 or 6
    Lol because your team has been deep in the playoffs and had success oh wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoast_yg View Post
    Lol because your team has been deep in the playoffs and had success oh wait?
    WE HAVE HAD JKIDD. Guarantee if I put him on any other team they lose 12-15 games mroe than their current rcord. We also play the dubs well.

Like Donny Trump is doing for America after a brutal 8 years, I am making PSD Great Again One Post at a time, doe!!

One Big A-- (8 year) Mistake America. Coincidence? I think not.

WE HAVE HAD JKIDD. Guarantee if I put him on any other team they lose 12-15 games mroe than their current rcord. We also play the dubs well.
    What makes you so sure you get by the Wolves?
    The Baker is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    What makes you so sure you get by the Wolves?
    Thibs

Like Donny Trump is doing for America after a brutal 8 years, I am making PSD Great Again One Post at a time, doe!!

One Big A-- (8 year) Mistake America. Coincidence? I think not.

The travel is the difficult part. Sure you can say just add an extra day, but how much longer does that push the season? How much longer do teams that sweep have to wait for a best of 7 series?

Looking at that, Portland and Boston would face. That would be a rough series travel wise.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The travel is the difficult part. Sure you can say just add an extra day, but how much longer does that push the season? How much longer do teams that sweep have to wait for a best of 7 series?

Looking at that, Portland and Boston would face. That would be a rough series travel wise.
    a quick google search says that it about a 7.5 hour flight from portland to Miami vs 5.5 for Portland to Memphis and some of the Texas teams. is it really that much worse for portland? Obviously the Eastern Teams travel times get much worse. I would want them to take this a step further and the 16 best teams get in.

I know 2-3-2 isn't ideal and it's worse than 2-2-1-1-1, but is it really THAT BAD?

How about 3-3-1? If the HCA ONLY wins 2 of the first 3 games @ home, it puts all the pressure on the lower seed to win ALL THREE games at home to take the series, or else they're facing a game 7 on the road.
    The Baker is coming.

I don't think your giving BAE and Coach of the Year Prutiny who is on pace for 62 wins since taking over enough credit. I say MKE over the Dubs (who MKE plays well) in 4, maybe 5.
    Don’t forget to smile today, they’re contagious!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast