Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut Dez Bryant?

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Jeez you guys need to watch some videos of Dez last year before you claim he was the problem. Sure, the drops are mostly on him (though some were bad passes that were difficult to catch, but we'd expect Dez to). But so many passes were so far off target it was horrible. There are at least 4 more TDs that Dez would have had where he was open and Dak airmailed the throw. You all are just buying into this hype that he's done without going back and watching the film.

gets no separation drops everything across the middle. hes not a number 1, get over your fandom love affair. is this team better with him than without, absolutely he is. but he not worth what hes paid anymore.

Jeez you guys need to watch some videos of Dez last year before you claim he was the problem. Sure, the drops are mostly on him (though some were bad passes that were difficult to catch, but we'd expect Dez to). But so many passes were so far off target it was horrible. There are at least 4 more TDs that Dez would have had where he was open and Dak airmailed the throw. You all are just buying into this hype that he's done without going back and watching the film.

and you started a thread wanting a discussion then when its not what you want you get triggered, thats just priceless.

Call the Bears, Dez for #9. I think Dez & #19 for #9 is over payment.

Based on what Jon Machota has been reporting Id say its almost guaranteed the Cowboys are going to take a WR in the 1st or 2nd round.

This is just one of the WR they have interviewed.

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/statu...64598948368385

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Based on what Jon Machota has been reporting Id say its almost guaranteed the Cowboys are going to take a WR in the 1st or 2nd round.

This is just one of the WR they have interviewed.

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/statu...64598948368385
    I agree I think they are going to take a WR in the 1st or 2nd as well. They have spoke with DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley and Christian Kirk. I think Dallas is really doing their homework on the wrs as there are a lot of good ones coming out this yr. Something has to be done about dez and twills 0 tds last yr. I think they interviewed TE Dallas Goedert as well, that would be a great pickup as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    and you started a thread wanting a discussion then when its not what you want you get triggered, thats just priceless.
    Triggered? How so? I watched the film recently and it's obvious that most of the problem was Dak. Dez needs to improve, especially on drops, that's clear too. But, if you go and watch the video on YouTube showing every throw to Dez this year, most of the problems were on the QB side.

I don't disagree with people that we need to draft another WR, though. We need someone with some speed who can really stretch the field. We don't have that, and it's never been Dez's game.

What I disagree with is cutting Dez. That doesn't improve our team at all.

Also, let's not act like Dez is dropping everything in the world. He had 6 drops. That's fewer than Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones and Jimmy Graham. It's better to not have those, obviously, but it's not like he is dropping everything.

I honestly think it comes down to a bit of improvement from Dak and the offensive line (which should deliver cleaner pockets for Dak and more accurate passes), along with an overall improvement in coaching too. Dez is still elite IMO and Dak can be too. We need better coaching and better pass protection. We get that, and we'll see elite play on offense again I think.

Dez hasn't played like an elite wide receiver since 2014 when Romo was throwing to him. Romo, was a 10 plus year vet, who could see the field and thread it in there....but, the truth is, Dez doesn't get that much separation. He's not the fastest guy and the corners are on him. I can see why Dak doesn't really like throwing to him because if he makes a throw in that tight coverage and it's a little off, it's an interception. Also, when Dak doesn't give him the ball, Dez pouts. I'm not saying get rid of him, but he's really not living up to his contract. Look at his yards...he had 1,300 plus yards in 2014 and it hasn't even been close to that since he signed that huge contract. We don't have anyone better...and that's the problem. We should see if there are...and when that bird is in hand, then make that decision. Witten's super old and TWill has zero TDs for a 2nd receiver. Defenses are now zeroing in on boxing out Beasely (our true #1 receiver).

Dez can improve for sure. But watch this video and tell me that even the majority of the problems are on him:

I think the problems are mostly on the offensive line pass protection last year not giving Dak a good pocket to throw from. From that it's Dak not always making the best decisions and sometimes missing easy throws. Dez drops 7 passes all year, which is too many, but too often he was open and missed.

I'm not buying that either. Romo never had time to throw during his career, when he did we lost to the Refs in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    I'm not buying that either. Romo never had time to throw during his career, when he did we lost to the Refs in the playoffs.
    Well Romo is obviously better than Dak. Maybe Dak will get there, but it's unlikely he will ever be as good a passer as Romo was. But he can run, so maybe that'll close the gap. But Romo did have quite a bit of time to throw in the last few years. Dak had a ton of time in 2016, but the line was banged up and not playing as well in pass protection last year, that's for sure.

But the Dak throws in that video are pretty bad. Some of them are on Dez, but Dak's gotta be more accurate. There were around 4 more TDs for Dez that were airmailed when he was wide open.

For now, we need to keep Dez because most of the elite receivers are being snatched up at through the roof prices and if we get rid of him, we're stuck with T Will and some rookie we draft? Another mediocre season. That said, no one can overlook that his production has seriously dropped from 2014. Part of it is he can't get separation and needs a precise QB to thread it in there...part of it may be age or injuries, part of it is he gets in his head when he's not getting the ball--it hurts his feelings, so he gets pulled out of his focus. I know Romo gets hated on by Deion Sanders (who has a strange bias against him), but Romo had a through the roof highest QB rating and highest completion percentage in 2014....better than Drew Brees (his prime days), Aaron Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning.... Dak is still learning and Deion criticizes Romo for being inaccurate (even though he's clearly not), but turns a blind eye when Dak isn't nearly as accurate or sees the field as much. Dak is a young QB...he's not going to be able to see the field as well as 10 plus year vet like Romo. There's really blame to go all around--if you look at our play design, it's pretty predictable. Romo had more say in 2014 and that's one of the years where he really took off QB rating wise. He started to put his input on what plays were called...before then, when he was just being dictated to, he didn't do as well.

What are your thoughts on all of this discussion on whether the Cowboys should cut Dez?

My thoughts are that it is a ridiculous thought to cut Dez this year. He had a down year, sure, but a lot of that is because Dak was pretty terrible the last 2/3 of the year. Plus, I don't think it makes economic sense either. People say that we can save $12 million (or $8 million) if we cut him but that neglects the fact that we have to pay someone else to replace him. Who will we replace him with? Landry? He's a slot receiver. Watkins? He's been bad (worse than Dez the last two years). Both of those guys will cost at least $10-12 million a year (if not more) and neither of them are an upgrade over Dez Bryant.
    Long story short: I don't see any reasonable and logical argument to cut Dez. It doesn't save us money and we wouldn't improve as a team.
    I agree with you 100%. This is exactly what happend.

Its a big mistake by the Front Office including the new WR coach Sanjay Lal who used to coach Buffalo and advocated to cut Dez for Sammy Watkins. They were actively persuing Watkins in FA but were priced out of the market (Sammy Watkins 16M$/year, Allen Robinson 14M$/year, when they had an elite WR in Bryant undercontract.

Romo's Opinion on the #1 WR situation
    "Depends on what you're defining as a No. 1 receiver. Is it by name alone? Is it by talent? You don't know that they don't have one. There's always someone that can come up. For me it was Miles Austin when [Terrell Owens] left. It was the same discussions then. At the end of the day, if you put the ball in small windows and you're aggressively putting the ball where you want, there's going to be windows. It's just when you have someone who's super talented, the windows are wider. So if you have Julio Jones, the windows are wider and you don't have to be as perfect as a quarterback. As Dak continues to improve and gets to the level he feels comfortable at, the windows don't have to be as big. From that perspective they just need guys to get into their spot and the ball will get there. That's how they're going to it. They're going to run the football. They have a great offensive line. They may even have gotten better. They drafted a young kid I know they like. Expect that formula to shorten the game and keep the game and the defensive play calls pretty simple as long as they're running the football at a high level. Which you'd have to expect them to do."
    I think the rise of Miles Austin had to do with elite QB-play from Romo as much as anything. I don't think Dak is at that level to make players like Hurns, T. Williams, Beasley, and Gallup better, in fact he will struggle without Dez and Witten.

I think the problem was never Dez Bryant, but it is Dak. I don't think he is the QB of the future. If Cooper Rush has a preseason like last year and Dak struggles in the regular season I think the team would have to move on from Dak and go with Rush
    Last edited by cowboyz4life; 07-24-2018 at 07:31 PM.

There is a reason no one has signed Dez. Hes done as a player, hes been done as a player. The team is much better off without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    There is a reason no one has signed Dez. Hes done as a player, hes been done as a player. The team is much better off without him.
    I don't think Dez was done, he still had gas left in the tank. He recieved an offer from Baltimore almost immediatley that he declined.

We are going to have a hard time replacing him now that he is gone. Especially in the red zone were he was an absolute beast at jump balls and catchable throws. He is the franchise leader in TDs.

Looks like a lot more FGs this year instead of TDs.

Bad QB play is why Dez regressed.

He will be resigned after training camp and preseason, after injuries so he can get the best offer available on a 1 year prove it deal. His best bet would be with an elite QB like Rodger in GB.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast