Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut Dez Bryant?

Cut Dez Bryant?

What are your thoughts on all of this discussion on whether the Cowboys should cut Dez?

My thoughts are that it is a ridiculous thought to cut Dez this year. He had a down year, sure, but a lot of that is because Dak was pretty terrible the last 2/3 of the year. Plus, I don't think it makes economic sense either. People say that we can save $12 million (or $8 million) if we cut him but that neglects the fact that we have to pay someone else to replace him. Who will we replace him with? Landry? He's a slot receiver. Watkins? He's been bad (worse than Dez the last two years). Both of those guys will cost at least $10-12 million a year (if not more) and neither of them are an upgrade over Dez Bryant.

Are we going to rely on a rookie to replace him? That's unlikely too. Rookie WR don't often play up to their potential in their first year. So then we are relying on T-Will as our number one (gross). Even if the rookie was OBJ-esque, we still have Dak throwing them the ball and that hasn't really been a recipe for success either. So it really comes down to Dak improving which would also improve Dez. The rookie option really only makes sense if we keep Dez and groom the young guy for a year or two.

Long story short: I don't see any reasonable and logical argument to cut Dez. It doesn't save us money and we wouldn't improve as a team.

I'd cut him. He can't hold on a the ball. Is a distraction when he doesn't get the ball thrown his way. Dak plays better when Dez isn't in the game (isn't forcing the ball to Dez).

Sign Landry or Nelson and draft a speed WR.

Yup cut him. You look at the other primary receivers (catch radius, run after catch) and he just can't do that anymore. Plus Dak is so much better passing to other receivers. If you want to make this Dak friendly, then draft WR that run routes.

dez isnt and outside WR so it doesnt matter if landry isnt either. landry is better

I don't think Dak was terrible the last 2/3. He was actually top 5 Total QBR midway through season until the endless series of Garrett Brain Cramps around the Atlanta game. Don't forget Dez dropped an inordinate amount of passes that hit him right in the mitts and he also made more than a few business decisions where he distinctly got alligator arms crossing the middle. If he survives this year he will be gone next when there is very little salary cap implications unless he has a blow out year.

landry tagged so this thread can end now imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    landry tagged so this thread can end now imo.
    No, we can still cut Dez. No reason for him to be here.

It's still too early to cut Dez imo especially since Landry will be tagged. All the stuff being said about him not living up to his contract is true (I don't think its all his fault has alot to do with chemistry) but he is still the best receiver on the team. And if he is cut who will be the #1 WR? Terrance Williams? Really? I don't think so! Although they should still draft a WR (hopefully on the 1st or 2nd day), we can't count on a rookie doing much. So keep Dez 1 more season and see what happens. Maybe the rookie steps up and we can get a decent fa WR next season. And for the love of God, Garrett and Linehan, be at least a little creative and find ways to move him around in the slot to get him the ball. He is still a beast after the catch.
    Last edited by C-Mac; 02-23-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mac View Post
    It's still too early to cut Dez imo especially since Landry will be tagged. All the stuff being said about him not living up to his contract is true (I don't think its all his fault has alot to do with chemistry) but he is still the best receiver on the team. And if he is cut who will be the #1 WR? Terrance Williams? Really? I don't think so! Although they should still draft a WR (hopefully on the 1st or 2nd day), we can't count on a rookie doing much. So keep Dez 1 more season and see what happens. Maybe the rookie steps up and we can get a decent fa WR next season. And for the love of God, Garrett and Linehan, be at least a little creative and find ways to move him around in the slot to get him the ball. He is still a beast after the catch.
    Yeah he definitely is still a beast with the ball in his hands, like that play against the Cardinals this year where he carried like 4 defenders into the endzone with him. Definitely need to be more creative. I totally agree on not cutting him. Let's see some improved play from Dak before placing all the blame on Dez. Dez needs to have better focus and cut down on the drops, but many of the balls he gets thrown his way are really poor throws. Need improvement from Dak in year 3 on that front (he has the potential, we will see).

Mostly I agree with you on the point of Dez being our #1 guy though. T-Will isn't going to do it and it's almost a guarantee a rookie won't be it either (OBJ is so rare). We aren't replacing Dez with $8 million or even $12 million because there is nobody available who is better than him. Also, Dez is still a stud if we use him properly, like you said.

Dez and his 8-10 drops while making 16 mill a yr can easily be replaced... Im tired of making excuses for Dez.. Allen Robinson would be a better option. Every yr Dez says hes going to be better and gets worse. He is a distraction and is shell of himself. Now he is saying tendinitis is the reason he didn't peform when we saw him drop passes right to him and decide to not go for the ball because he was going to get smacked. Enough is enough cut him.

dez isnt taking a paycut with his radio interview, basically saying if you arent with me fukc you

I wanted to also add that Dak hinted that we would be running offense similar to KC and Carolina's offense. Now if we are running with zeke do we really need a WR like an AB or OBJ? I don't think so..we just need a wr that actually get open and catches the ball something Dez cant seem to do. Twill also needs to be replaced because 0 tds for a starting number 2 wr is downright embarrassing.

dez was the reason the passing game went backwards last year. all the forced passes and drops to/by him.

It's simple, tell him this is what we are going to pay you or we are cutting you!

Jeez you guys need to watch some videos of Dez last year before you claim he was the problem. Sure, the drops are mostly on him (though some were bad passes that were difficult to catch, but we'd expect Dez to). But so many passes were so far off target it was horrible. There are at least 4 more TDs that Dez would have had where he was open and Dak airmailed the throw. You all are just buying into this hype that he's done without going back and watching the film.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast