Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    More interested is seeing if they can set the record for most strikeouts by an offense.
    Screw sabermetics.

Someone pissed on his cornflakes this morning
    #BringBackMatty

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    More interested is seeing if they can set the record for most strikeouts by an offense.
    Big meh to that. Comes with the territory. If they still score 850+ runs, who cares.

An honest question... why is there so much love for Bird?

Mixed minor league results, mixed MLB results. Him and Bogaerts are the same age and Bogaerts hit 21 HRs in an MLB season, but I am not expecting him to hit 30+ HRs, where as it seems people think Bird will

What am I missing?
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post

Mixed minor league results, mixed MLB results. Him and Bogaerts are the same age and Bogaerts hit 21 HRs in an MLB season, but I am not expecting him to hit 30+ HRs, where as it seems people think Bird will

What am I missing?
    When healthy, offensively he reminds me a lot of Paul O'Neill. He's a good hitter, uses all fields and has had success in the limited time he's had in the majors. At the end of 2015 he hit well after taking over for Teixeira and hit well again at the end of last season after coming back from injury. Unfortunately, he missed all of 2016 and most of last year so he hasn't gotten a chance to play ~140 games in the bigs.
    Also, if he was to hit somewhere between Judge, Stanton and Sanchez he would almost certainly see a ton of good pitches to hit.
    I don't necessarily think he will hit for a super high average, but I definitely think over a full season he hits 30 balls out of the park.
    Time will tell though. Nobody really knows since he hasn't been able to stay on the field lately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Get 300 Home Runs, lose 100 games. My ultimate Yankee desire.

Okay
    #BringBackMatty

What am I missing?
    Bird in 2015 after his Aug 13th debut (46 games, 178 plate appearances)... .261/.343/..529
    *missed all of 2016*
    Bird in 2017 up until his DL stint (19 games, 72 plate appearances)... .100/.250/.200
    Bird in 2017 after he returned from the DL in Aug (29 games, 98 plate appearances)... .253/.316/.575
    In the 2017 playoffs he hit .244/.426/.512 over 54 plate appearances

So basically, if you break his career into stretches, he had a down 20 game start to last year (where his BABIP was .125) but otherwise has hit for great power.

His profile as a hitter in the minor leagues was always strong. OPS over .900 in 2012 and 2013. In 2014 he actually had a "down" year in A+ (OPS in mid 800s) but got bumped up to AA and went back to 900+. Then in 2015 he did go back down to the 800s split between AA/AAA, but came up and hit really well at the MLB level as noted above.

Just based on the slugging percentage and being a LH hitter in YS with fly ball tendencies I think he's a great bet for 30+ HRs over a full year. And then he has a good approach at the plate and has posted good OBP in relation to BA (even in that down 20 game stretch his OBP was 150 points higher than his BA).

Do I think he's an MVP in the making? Probably not - fly ball tendencies will probably keep his average down too much for that. But with his power and approach I think he's a great bet to be a really good hitter. I'm pretty confident in that projection for this year based of what I've seen.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

What am I missing?
    He's been plagued with injuries, however the glimpse we did get to see has impressed. His lefty swing is built for Yankee Stadium. People saw and remember the .921 OPS and huge home run off Andrew Miller in the ALDS to keep the season alive.

Tino Martinez said about Bird: "Id seen him three years ago in Double-A, Triple-A. Id been watching him quite a bit. Hes just been, in my opinion, an all-around great hitter. Hes patient. Hes a great two-strike hitter. He uses the whole field. Hes a .300 hitter with 25-30 home runs. Hes just got a nice, compact short swing with some pop." Martinez doubled down on his comment when asked if those stats were his ceiling: "He can do that this year. With a full, healthy season, oh, yeah. Ive seen him in the minor leagues." He also called Bird "the best young hitter I've ever seen," high praise considering that outfielder Aaron Judge was the 2017 Rookie of the Year. Bird struggled to a .710 OPS in 170 plate appearances in the regular season with the Yankees last year but had an .871 OPS in 178 plate appearances in 2015 and had three home runs in 13 playoff games last season. Look at him as one of the top first base sleepers coming into 2018.
    http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...est_young.html

Most of his career has been about promise and potential. Imo 2018 will be about production. His lefty bat amongst all the power righties should shine.
    Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    They may achieve that as well on their way to 28!
    Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.---- James Baldwin

Bird does totally resemble Paul O'Neill at the plate. He lets the ball get pretty deep because he has that compact swing.

Perfect swing for Yankee Stadium
    #BringBackMatty

I'm not going to say the guy (Bird) can't, but to expect seems a tad bit absurd. Potential and expectations are two very different things. Especially when it comes to inexperienced players at the MLB level

Devers is uber talented but I will be happy if he can get to 20 HRs

I am never comfortable with young players and expecting production until they get towards 1000 PAs of the same relative production.

I'm not going to say the guy (Bird) can't, but to expect seems a tad bit absurd. Potential and expectations are two very different things. Especially when it comes to inexperienced players at the MLB level

Devers is uber talented but I will be happy if he can get to 20 HRs

I am never comfortable with young players and expecting production until they get towards 1000 PAs of the same relative production.
    How do you assess whether you think the Yankees can or will break the team HR record unless you project what the players on the team will do?

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    How do you assess whether you think the Yankees can or will break the team HR record unless you project what the players on the team will do?
    By being realistic....

If I am on that subject. I would expect between Stanton and Judge that combined between the two they have around 20 Less HRs than last year.

I would expect Sanchez to be somewhere around where he was last year. I would be Mildly surprised if Didi gets to 25 HRs again.

I wouldn't expect Bird to hit 30+ HRs.

I'd be surprised if the yankees are not top 5 in HRs, but I certainly don't expect and more so doubt they break the HR record

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast