Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should SVG be fired if the Pistons fail to make the playoffs?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 85.71%
  • No

0 0%
  • Cocaine is a hell of a drug

1 14.29%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    SVG not drafting Mitchell is worse than us drafting Darko.

in what ****ing way did he think Kennard would have more potential than Mitchell? gotta be one of the worst draft moments in Pistons history. Luke is going to be a solid player but jeez man... watching Mitchell play just hurts.. the dude is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    SVG not drafting Mitchell is worse than us drafting Darko.

in what ****ing way did he think Kennard would have more potential than Mitchell? gotta be one of the worst draft moments in Pistons history. Luke is going to be a solid player but jeez man... watching Mitchell play just hurts.. the dude is amazing
    Come on, you canít compare drafting Darko second in arguably the deepest draft in history with drafting Kennard at 12 in a normal draft. I think Luke will be a solid player, Darko was a bust. Not giving SVG a pass though, but you canít compare this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gronis10 View Post
    Come on, you canít compare drafting Darko second in arguably the deepest draft in history with drafting Kennard at 12 in a normal draft. I think Luke will be a solid player, Darko was a bust. Not giving SVG a pass though, but you canít compare this.
    We ended up winning the tittle after drafting Darko tho.

we are the only team in the east without a playoff win in the last 10 years. that's crazy

If you look at the 12 players picked before Mitchell, everyone goofed. Even the sixers and lakers might say they goofed at this point. So the goof is on all 12. The issue is when SVG says he liked Luke's stroke and was the best shooter in the draft in his opinion. That's what's frustrating with the Booker/Stanley scenario.

Second, Mitchell has said he didn't miss a shot in his workout with the pistons and SVG was concerned about Luke's athleticism on the D end. Those two things are the frustrating part about it, given the way the season progressed. Plus, Mitchell had the opportunity in Utah. They needed scorers and he stepped up. With the beginning of the season and the way Avery was playing to start,Mitchell would not have had the season he had at Utah here. but I'd still like to have him.

If they met Monday - or Tues - my sense is Gores asked him to relinquish Pres of Ops and SVG is deciding. Or they BS'd each other over steak and Gores is deliberating.

It's not like they haven't been talking and/or Gores is a kinda hands off owner. They both would have come to the meeting prepared.
    Last edited by markbutter; 04-26-2018 at 03:24 PM.

The issue with me when it comes with SVG and drafting is the fact it appears he always drafts the inferior player at the same position ahead of the guy who pans out.

Sure all 12 teams are maybe salivating over how Mitchell would look in their uniform, but only a handful of teams including the Pistons drafted a SG ahead of him. Some teams at least can cop-out and say Mitchell wasn't a position of need... But clearly we were in the market for a SG.

Same can be said for choosing Stanley Johnson over Devin Booker

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by JWO35 View Post
    The issue with me when it comes with SVG and drafting is the fact it appears he always drafts the inferior player at the same position ahead of the guy who pans out.

Sure all 12 teams are maybe salivating over how Mitchell would look in their uniform, but only a handful of teams including the Pistons drafted a SG ahead of him. Some teams at least can cop-out and say Mitchell wasn't a position of need... But clearly we were in the market for a SG.

Same can be said for choosing Stanley Johnson over Devin Booker
    Couldn't agree more. SVG evidently felt that Luke's shooting ability was a bigger gap than the difference in defensive gap between Mitchel and Luke. That's the only way I can see it. I just think the athletic ability of Mitchel is something you can't duplicate by not having guys go 5 on 5 during evaluation. Maybe they did.

Appears Gores wants SVG to coach. Want's a shake up in the F.O.

SVG is resisting.

Who could have seen this coming?

Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    Appears Gores wants SVG to coach. Want's a shake up in the F.O.

SVG is resisting.

Who could have seen this coming?
    Yeah, not too surprised. Still waiting on actual news. is SVG gonna refuse?!

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Yeah, not too surprised. Still waiting on actual news. is SVG gonna refuse?!
    hopefully this doesn't string out forever, if he's gone he needs to be gone asap so we can jump start the replacement search, if he refuses to opt out of FO duties then can him

hopefully this doesn't string out forever, if he's gone he needs to be gone asap so we can jump start the replacement search, if he refuses to opt out of FO duties then can him
    Well, he's the Pres of Ops. All of his front office people have expiring contracts that are up on 30-June. IIRC. Again, this was probably done this way so Gores could say - if things are going right, we'll roll forward. If not, and here we are.

And I'm thinking Tellum was probably a part of this contract design.

At the end of the day, if SVG is worried about folks in the front office this much, it's a perfect reason for him to relinquish control. The last 3 drafts have been underwhelming in many respects. The talent level is undeniably higher on the team, but that says more to the talent we had as much as to what we've added.

My guess is there's some talk of relieving him of duties as Pres and tacking on a year so he's not a lame coach if things stall mid-season.

This whole debacle just shows how low the Pistons have fallen

We have a washed-up HC posing as a semi-knowledgeable Pres. of Basketball Operations...this is the type of **** that happens in Sacramento, Brooklyn, or the Clippers side of LA not in Detroit. SVG has failed in almost every aspect of an HC or Pres. His coaching is subpar for today's NBA. Yes, his trades are impressive, but IMO they are basically canceled out by his pathetic drafting and FA signings.

I heard that Gores met with Drummond & Blake about SVG as well which is interesting because I think the common speculation is the team has long given up on SVG, but if he comes back as HC (I still think he will) did Drum & BG give SVG a vote of confidence as HC?

At this point, I'm all but ready to hit the giant red button on the Pistons...we've been avoiding "tanking" for so long that being mediocre has hindered us more than tanking ever would. Seriously, how far can this current roster go completely healthy? MAYBE a 1st round victory? And that depends on the 1st round matchup because I don't see us beating any of the teams that made the playoffs this year in a 7-game series. Teams like the 6ers, Bucks, Celtics, Pacers etc. will all be trending up with young talent and assets while we will be trending down with older and injured players like Blake & Reggie.

And can Piston fans (on DBB & r/DetroitPistons) shut up about this "iF ReGgie jAcKsOn wAs hEalthy..." he wasn't and if he was we still would've lost to the Raptors, Celtics, or Cavs in the 1st round. This is SVG's team, right? How about he...oh IDK maybe actually be a good GM and sign/trade for a capable backup PG that we can easily plug to fill Reggie's role? Instead, we got stuck with $6mil/yr Ish Smith dribbling under the basket trying to win with his speed instead of his IQ
    Last edited by JWO35; 05-02-2018 at 10:34 AM.

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

I don't think the issue is about or not about tanking.

As stated, trades have been more than adequate. FA signings, not so much. But bigger issue that has kept us in pergatory is the draft. We've been over this a hundred times, but based on need(s) at the time we passed on what has turned out to be better fits.

And that area, FA & drafting is where the Pres of Ops shortcomings comes in. That's staff, scouts and others.

If Gores did meet with Dre' and Blake, it's interesting that it also didn't include Reggie. One of two things to take away is: Dre' has said SVG has pushed and made him a better player. I would think he got a plus. Blake may have said he wasn't here long enough to form an opinion. If both were negative, Gores may just be giving SVG a way out to save face. Or an ultimatum - so it would ultimately be SVGs decision - HC yes, Pres no, take it or leave it.

Ish is not a bad backup PG. He's not a starting PG with our talent. At 6M, that's not bad and he's in the last year of the deal. The Galloway contract and performance is stupid. That will leave a mark.

Gores met with Drummond and Blake because he's friends with them and instead of making intelligent basketball decisions he's trying to cater to his friends.

I can't draft, I make terrible FA signings, l let the employees run the operations, I make decent trades. Who am I? Joe Dumars or Stan Van Gundy? The SVG regime is similar to the Dumars regime except Dumars actually won a championship before it all went belly up and wasn't afraid to fire people.

Rumor I heard on the radio yesterday was that Gores wants to meet with Bower after meeting with SVG. The speculation is Gores wants Bower out and SVG is not willing to fire his friend. I say if SVG is to loyal to fire his friend when it's obvious the dude is just an overpaid secretary then good riddance to the both of them.

Isn't Bower's contract up in June anyways? Why would he want to meet with him? To fire him a few weeks before his contract ends and prevent SVG from giving him an extension?

This franchise is a joke. The owner needs to stop trying to be friends with his employees and make the decisions the fans deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by RealBuffoonery View Post
    Gores met with Drummond and Blake because he's friends with them and instead of making intelligent basketball decisions he's trying to cater to his friends.

I can't draft, I make terrible FA signings, l let the employees run the operations, I make decent trades. Who am I? Joe Dumars or Stan Van Gundy? The SVG regime is similar to the Dumars regime except Dumars actually won a championship before it all went belly up and wasn't afraid to fire people.

Rumor I heard on the radio yesterday was that Gores wants to meet with Bower after meeting with SVG. The speculation is Gores wants Bower out and SVG is not willing to fire his friend. I say if SVG is to loyal to fire his friend when it's obvious the dude is just an overpaid secretary then good riddance to the both of them.

Isn't Bower's contract up in June anyways? Why would he want to meet with him? To fire him a few weeks before his contract ends and prevent SVG from giving him an extension?

This franchise is a joke. The owner needs to stop trying to be friends with his employees and make the decisions the fans deserve.
    Given where we drafted, Dumars was a much better drafter than SVG. That might not be saying much, but overall he was better. FA signings, both were not up to par.

Talking to Dre' and Blake is the same as talking to your high level officers in a corporation about bringing someone in. Gores ultimately is on the hook for both their contracts - given that he signed off on the offer/trade. So it makes sense to get their feel for the situation because in the end, these two are going to be the leaders and the rest of the team will take their que from them.

The talk with Bowers might just be courtesy to get his input. I'm sure he'll back up SVG, but if they want to bring in a new Pres, it makes sense to see if there's an option to retain him and how he would feel about it. We're talking guys making millions per year, not some dude on the floor in a sweatshop making minimum.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast