Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

I don't get it for Ottawa. Sure LTIR comes in at times, but Dion's deal is a year shorter, and he's the superior player. Ottawa needs D to lesson the load of some of their kids like Chabot and Ceci. So with the retain of about $1.75M I think they're fairly even in terms of cap. Ottawa has Stone, Hoffman, another injury prone winger in Bobby Ryan.

LA gave up no part of their future and got off the Gaborik deal while adding a need. Karlsson has no reason to re-sign with this ownership/management.

Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    I don't get it for Ottawa. Sure LTIR comes in at times, but Dion's deal is a year shorter, and he's the superior player. Ottawa needs D to lesson the load of some of their kids like Chabot and Ceci. So with the retain of about $1.75M I think they're fairly even in terms of cap. Ottawa has Stone, Hoffman, another injury prone winger in Bobby Ryan.

LA gave up no part of their future and got off the Gaborik deal while adding a need. Karlsson has no reason to re-sign with this ownership/management.
    Ottawa will have a firesale, so they can pay Karlsson even more soon.

I don't see Karlsson returning to Ottawa.

Ive heard rumors Ceci is on the market...but overall this was a good move for OTT....saves money they can throw at EK and hope he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Ive heard rumors Ceci is on the market...but overall this was a good move for OTT....saves money they can throw at EK and hope he stays.
    Why? Dion is a better player than Marian and I'm pretty sure the cap hits are fairly even, no?

Dion's 25 percent is 1.75+Marian's 4.875 = 6.625M AAV. Subtract 1.75 from Dion for LA and you have 5.25M AAV. Marian is 36 today and has an extra year. Dion is also the superior player by far and remains healthy.

Not sure if I'm missing parts of this contract and/or ****ed up the math but this is a ****ing win for LA and for their push. Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, and double Dion is a very good top four. Carter returns to go along with Kopitar, you really just need to add wingers at this point. That's their weakest area.

If I'm Karlsson, I walk.

Agree on Karlsson walking. Sure, you can argue that they are clearing cap space to pay him, but they are dealing off valuable pieces to compete with, so why would be re-sign at this point?