Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bobby Portis Flagrant 2 on Tomas Satoransky

Forgive me if there's a thread about this. I tried to look for one but couldn't find it.

How was Portis' play flagrant? He went for the ball, hit the ball. There was no intention of pulling Satoransky to the ground. It looks like a normal defensive play, just with an unfortunate outcome. Jodie Meeks make it seem like Satoransky had a wide open lane, like on a breakaway or something. It was on a half court set. Portis was 3 feet away and rotated defensively. From what I saw, its even debatable that there's a foul. So to call a flagrant 2, isn't it excessive?

The Baker is coming.

Flagrant 2 (FFP2) - unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession and the player committing the foul is automatically ejected.
    I would say by the letter of the rule that was excessive contact that lead to injury. And based on the way they call it, the issue isn't the initial contact, it's the followthrough to push down on the shoulder forcing the landing of the way it was.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I would say by the letter of the rule that was excessive contact that lead to injury. And based on the way they call it, the issue isn't the initial contact, it's the followthrough to push down on the shoulder forcing the landing of the way it was.
    Yeah, I think when he pushed down at the end it became excessive.
    The Baker is coming.

Again, I don't see anything as far as a follow through. It looks like a normal motion of an arm moving forward after going for a block. I'm not a fan of either player or team. Just curious what you guys see.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Thanks for posting the vid. Again I don't see a push down. Well, its already 2 to 1. I might be the only one not seeing this as dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    And without a doubt that what they looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOGO View Post
    Thanks for posting the vid. Again I don't see a push down. Well, its already 2 to 1. I might be the only one not seeing this as dirty.
    Dirty and excessive are not the same thing. What he did was excessive. I wouldn't right away label it as dirty because he didn't do something outside of play. What he did was go for the block, hit the arm, but then he forcibly followed through down on the shoulder of Satoransky which caused him to land face first on the hardwood.

PROCESSING

It was the follow thru.

I remember in the Rockets/Bulls game, Portis goes for a dunk, gets fouled and doesn't make the shot and poses/flexes hard. He then missed at least one of the free throws and got dunked on hard shortly thereafter. I lol'ed. He seems like a fraud.

I don't know what happened exactly between Portis and Mirotic but regardless, it doesn't look good.

Dirty and excessive are not the same thing. What he did was excessive. I wouldn't right away label it as dirty because he didn't do something outside of play. What he did was go for the block, hit the arm, but then he forcibly followed through down on the shoulder of Satoransky which caused him to land face first on the hardwood.
    Sounds pretty dirty to me.

I don't see the excessive either. Just a natural motion of the arm moving forward after going for a block.

Miriotic is somewhere saying 'see...?'

lol.

Really rough foul. He went for the ball, it's the follow through that's so unnecessary.

Such a tough call and I can see both sides.
    I honestly just think it should have been a common foul that happened to cause a very unfortunate fall.

I don't see a push down either... it's a soft league if that's a flagrant 2.

And without a doubt that what they looked at.

He literally at no point does he hit his shoulder. Elbow yes but both arms are extended. Hes not pushing him down tho.

It's a flagrant. It was extremely excessive contact, whether it was intentional or not.

I don't see the excessive either. Just a natural motion of the arm moving forward after going for a block.
    Not a natural motion when he forced the other player down. Satoransky went from a vertical position to a horizontal position AND spun 90 degrees sideways based solely on Portis' action. He was shoved sideways, not an arm moving forward in a natural motion. That's excessive 100 out of 100 times.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast