Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 283 of 288 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 4311
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    This is American politics.

It does not matter whether those in the public eye are right, left, or center — they are obligated to say something to the effect of “We have to _____________________ (fill in the blank with any of those boilerplate things that the masses want to hear but when push comes to shove don’t want to pay for; one of my favorites is “protect the middle class”).

Love, thoughts, prayers, sympathy, “my heart goes out to”...all signify nothing. And you can call that equal opportunity bashing.
    Yep, which was pretty well hashed out the last time we had this conversation about 15 pages ago. It's much more dramatic when we pretend it's about bashing religious folks though.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Does said politician actually push and support policy to do so? It just depends on the actual context/individuals involved. I was unaware it was considered racist and again it is "evil" in the sense of just pandering to votes by saying oh how horrible this shouldn't be happening thoughts and prayers while not actually calling/voting for anything to happen while in a position of power. That is what gets mocked very often as disingenuous etc.

I don't think it is that difficult of a concept, if someone is out there giving condolences and saying it is bad/wrong this is happening are they also calling for/supporting action for change so it stops happening? If not and they are just throwing out religious rhetoric for the base... Well people will probably call out the obvious
    I don't think it really does matter. I think it's just an automatic condemnation now, people don't do research before calling them out. The reality, when it comes to gun regulation, is that pretty much nobody is doing anything other than talk a little.

The racist/evil comment wasn't specifically about "thoughts and prayers", but just how the meanings of things change because of the whims of social media. Like Pepe or the "ok" symbol, or the letter "N", or rubbing your hands together (supposedly now officially a symbol for jewish greed), "bowl" is now a white supremacist word, dice, 88, a comma, an apostrophe, "100%", 12, 13, 14, 18, 23, 28, and on and on and on. It's impossible to know when you might be unknowingly being racist or calling for hate and then it's off an running on social media.

This is American politics.

It does not matter whether those in the public eye are right, left, or center — they are obligated to say something to the effect of “We have to _____________________ (fill in the blank with any of those boilerplate things that the masses want to hear but when push comes to shove don’t want to pay for; one of my favorites is “protect the middle class”).

Love, thoughts, prayers, sympathy, “my heart goes out to”...all signify nothing. And you can call that equal opportunity bashing.
    Maybe we can ban politicians from all social media.

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    Yep, which was pretty well hashed out the last time we had this conversation about 15 pages ago. It's much more dramatic when we pretend it's about bashing religious folks though.
    There is a religious aspect to it because it comes up in the discussion from both sides ... it's not nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't think it really does matter. I think it's just an automatic condemnation now, people don't do research before calling them out. The reality, when it comes to gun regulation, is that pretty much nobody is doing anything other than talk a little.

The racist/evil comment wasn't specifically about "thoughts and prayers", but just how the meanings of things change because of the whims of social media. Like Pepe or the "ok" symbol, or the letter "N", or rubbing your hands together (supposedly now officially a symbol for jewish greed), "bowl" is now a white supremacist word, dice, 88, a comma, an apostrophe, "100%", 12, 13, 14, 18, 23, 28, and on and on and on. It's impossible to know when you might be unknowingly being racist or calling for hate and then it's off an running on social media.
    I think a lot can't get done due in large part to the politicians being mockedfor inaction. That's the entire point.

Sure some do go overboard with it I am sure but in general that is why most do it is the lack of actually backing it up with policy/calling for change.

I guess I am not as aware or focused on the land of extremes as you seem to be. These things almost never actually come up for me and I certainly don't go searching out people like that myself.

Just because some people go overboard doesn't mean you just ignore the real reason and issue with said inaction and why many go at people for doing so who don't support any real policy or call for change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe we can ban politicians from all social media.
    Better yet, ban social media.

I think a lot can't get done due in large part to the politicians being mockedfor inaction. That's the entire point.

Sure some do go overboard with it I am sure but in general that is why most do it is the lack of actually backing it up with policy/calling for change.

I guess I am not as aware or focused on the land of extremes as you seem to be. These things almost never actually come up for me and I certainly don't go searching out people like that myself.

Just because some people go overboard doesn't mean you just ignore the real reason and issue with said inaction and why many go at people for doing so who don't support any real policy or call for change.
    The reality is that we haven't really had significant federal gun control passed in 20+ years, so all of them are equally guilty to me.

I would love that. Good luck.

The reality is that we haven't really had significant federal gun control passed in 20+ years, so all of them are equally guilty to me.
    Which is a huge problem. If you have say 40% of them actually pushing for change and supporting those measures and you literally ignore their stances/policy's etc just to equate them to those actually holding us back...

Well as we have been through many times it contributes to the problem by both sidesing things where one side is actually holding us back (those not pushing or supporting action) from those pushing for the change but unable to get support from said inactive politicians

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is a huge problem. If you have say 40% of them actually pushing for change and supporting those measures and you literally ignore their stances/policy's etc just to equate them to those actually holding us back...

Well as we have been through many times it contributes to the problem by both sidesing things where one side is actually holding us back (those not pushing or supporting action) from those pushing for the change but unable to get support from said inactive politicians
    the gun control law from earlier this year was toothless, but before that it was forever from the last time something was even tried I think.
    Last edited by Scoots; 12-13-2019 at 07:40 PM.

the gun control law from earlier this year was toothless, but before that it was forever from the last time something was even tried I think.
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...ere-they-stand

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/19/56673...d-on-gun-bills

There have been attempts at change and many have voted for them, if you mean the one that passed the house they were pushing for change and what happened? It was stopped. We can't even take the toothless baby steps in the current situation and there are people voting for change and people not.

The context is key. What people do/vote for/call for change in areas and so on matters. You can't just equate everyone because a chunk of people are actively holding us back even from baby steps so action can't be taken. I agree there should be more of a push than there has been but that doesn't mean some aren't still trying to make some changes and some are not/voting against it.

Yes! Please please please please please please please.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

On this the seventh anniversary of Sandy Hook, I especially want to offer my appreciation (for what it is worth) to the majority leader of the US senate, Mitch McConnell, on whose desk — buried along with hundreds of other pieces of legislation he refuses to advance — is that ultra-radical piece of gun-control legislation passed by the House which calls for...wait for it....universal background checks.

But, hey, it’s only been 290 days in that pile there. I’m sure the fine senator has more important things to do than his job.

Maybe if I offer him my thoughts and prayers instead...
    Last edited by Crovash; 12-14-2019 at 07:17 AM.

On this the seventh anniversary of Sandy Hook, I especially want to offer my appreciation (for what it is worth) to the majority leader of the US senate, Mitch McConnell, on whose desk — buried along with hundreds of other pieces of legislation he refuses to advance — is that ultra-radical piece of gun-control legislation passed by the House which calls for...wait for it....universal background checks.

But, hey, it’s only been 290 days in that pile there. I’m sure the fine senator has more important things to do than his job.

Maybe if I offer him my thoughts and prayers instead...
    It confuses me when people act like he's going to do anything that isn't to his or his party's advantage. He doesn't care about the country, he cares about his party and little else.