Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 79
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    17,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    "Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich seemed to acknowledge the charade on the eve of last year’s playoff series against Utah. When asked who the Spurs would start at center, Popovich said, “Tim Duncan, like we have for the
    last 15 years.”

    You don't understand Pop's dry humor by that comment lol

    At least Popovich is doing something familiar as he takes the first step toward another season. He and his staff leave for the West Coast on Friday for their annual retreat, where, as Popovich said, “the arguing will begin.” […] Otherwise, Popovich says this is business as usual. “Same culture, same philosophy,” he said. “I only know what I know. We’ll hang our hat on defense. We just don’t have the greatest power forward of all-time playing for us anymore.”
    Also the fact that he said it against Utah. Lots of Jazz fans, even their commentators refuse to say he's a PF, for obvious reasons. TD was hardly listed on the lineup sheets listed as a C, and obviously it's Pop and the coaching staff who does that. Pop just playing some mind games.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,252
    Someone needs to ask Duncan who he thinks the 2nd greatest PF is. My boner for Duncan and Dirk make me think he'll say Dirk...
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

    San Antonio Spurs

    PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,238
    Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    You don't understand Pop's dry humor by that comment lol



    Also the fact that he said it against Utah. Lots of Jazz fans, even their commentators refuse to say he's a PF, for obvious reasons. TD was hardly listed on the lineup sheets listed as a C, and obviously it's Pop and the coaching staff who does that. Pop just playing some mind games.
    maybe the dry humor went over my head, but honestly, what makes Duncan's game any different than other centers? There have been a lot of "bigs" that are able to play both positions, right? If David Robinson wasn't with the Spurs for Duncan's early years, would we all think differently? My guess is, yes. Duncan played the 4 next to the Admiral, but through it all he still played an excessive amount of minutes at the 5.



  4. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    maybe the dry humor went over my head, but honestly, what makes Duncan's game any different than other centers? There have been a lot of "bigs" that are able to play both positions, right? If David Robinson wasn't with the Spurs for Duncan's early years, would we all think differently? My guess is, yes. Duncan played the 4 next to the Admiral, but through it all he still played an excessive amount of minutes at the 5.
    He didn't just play the 4 next to Robinson though. Rasho, Splitter, Perdue, etc. He could play both. Bird played PF for basically half his career, so did Worthy and I'd almost consider Worthy a PF because he did it when he was at his best. Every great player can play multiple positions - the one they functionally play on defense depends on a lot of things. Lebron is much more of a PG than Duncan is a C, for example. And if you disagree, then Magic is much more of a SF than he is a PG for the same reasons you'll say Lebron is a SF.

    I was recently watching Duncan's first playoff game in 1998 against the Suns and Duncan started at SF in that game. Pop started Will Perdue on Cliff Robinson, Robinson on McDyess, and Duncan actually guarded Jason Kidd. He did a lot of different things early in his career because of how well he moved. I think Pop did it there though mainly because Duncan could handle it and because he didn't want his young star in early foul trouble - probably also to get his only real backup big involved early too since Ainge played smallball.

    1) Duncan
    2) Dirk
    3) Barkely
    4) Malone
    5) McHale
    6) KG
    7) Gasol
    8) Webber
    9) Pettit
    10) Debuscherre I guess, could go Bosh or maybe Rodman if I really convinced myself.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187:32172590
    Dan Roundfield
    Mad I didn't think to do it first.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    43,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    "Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich seemed to acknowledge the charade on the eve of last year’s playoff series against Utah. When asked who the Spurs would start at center, Popovich said, “Tim Duncan, like we have for the
    last 15 years.”

    Lol first thing I thought of

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    17,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Lol first thing I thought of
    You got Pop'd too

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    29,946
    Duncan is a power forward. That's the position he played most in his prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    maybe the dry humor went over my head, but honestly, what makes Duncan's game any different than other centers? There have been a lot of "bigs" that are able to play both positions, right? If David Robinson wasn't with the Spurs for Duncan's early years, would we all think differently? My guess is, yes. Duncan played the 4 next to the Admiral, but through it all he still played an excessive amount of minutes at the 5.
    I agree.

    Duncan was projected as a 5 before the draft. He was probably the tallest and biggest starter for most of the post admiral years.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,883
    If Drafted by most other teams outside of a select few, there is no doubt in my mind Tim would have been a 5.

    Pops kept him the ''4'' because the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it. Spurs and what they had going = bread and butter (in terms of winning and contending) with him playing where he was for the first decade.

    If you look at the so called 5's in the year he was drafted, he was closely built more like them vs. the so called PF's.

    Pre-draft he was Projected to be more of a 5 with the ability to play the 4.

    Nothing wrong with him being a 4 or PF, but in my subjective opinion he's more of a natural 5.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    32,234
    So Duncan is a 5 b/c he was more versatile then the other 4s?
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    24,599
    Here is a draft profile on Duncan:

    http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/1...t/scout/c.html

    Scouts have mixed opinions on Duncan's NBA position. He may be a more
    dominant player early on in his career at power forward but has the
    tools to be a dominant center. His position will depend on the team
    that selects him.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,883
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Here is a draft profile on Duncan:

    http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/1...t/scout/c.html

    Scouts have mixed opinions on Duncan's NBA position. He may be a more
    dominant player early on in his career at power forward but has the
    tools to be a dominant center. His position will depend on the team
    that selects him.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    So Duncan is a 5 b/c he was more versatile then the other 4s?

    Watching the draft videos the profile for Duncan is Center, and you can here John Thompson mention how much work it's going to be for the Spurs for him to be a forward for them.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho8OT89WI6w

    Marcus Camby another tweener coming out the year before has PF on his draft profile. Personally I thought he was more a natural PF vs. C, His draft profile in this video states PF.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljHn1MLdO1I

    I stand by my view that I think he would of been a center on most teams if he weren't drafted by the Spurs. He'd play PF due to fit next to teams that would already had an Elite 5 like Spurs, NY, LAL, Hou, Mia, etc....

    Back then I followed the expansion Raptors hard too, and most of the time I remembered him pre draft lottery mentioned as more of a 5 in the nba. Once the Spurs won the draft lottery, the talk of PF picked up more steam. If the Celtics would have won the Lottery like the way they tanked and were wanting to, he would of been a 5 for them.

    I also followed Duncan and Camby a lot in their College days. Camby was a beast in College, him and Calipari led UMAss to a number overall seed in the tourney could've been 2 overall next to Kentucky, but it was one or the other. Him and Duncan were the big talk and media made Rivals because of their size, skill and defense. Camby was more projected as the 4 and Duncan leaned more towards the 5.

    This is my personal experience of the draft scene around 96-97.

    Being from Toronto, I was following guys like the two above and guys like Iverson, Ray Allen, Marbury, and KG because in HS I was big on the expansion Raptors.
    Last edited by Heediot; 02-14-2018 at 09:51 PM.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    32,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Watching the draft videos the profile for Duncan is Center, and you can here John Thompson mention how much work it's going to be for the Spurs for him to be a forward for them.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho8OT89WI6w

    Marcus Camby another tweener coming out the year before has PF on his draft profile. Personally I thought he was more a natural PF vs. C, His draft profile in this video states PF.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljHn1MLdO1I

    I stand by my view that I think he would of been a center on most teams if he weren't drafted by the Spurs. He'd play PF due to fit next to teams that would already had an Elite 5 like Spurs, NY, LAL, Hou, Mia, etc....

    Back then I followed the expansion Raptors hard too, and most of the time I remembered him pre draft lottery mentioned as more of a 5 in the nba. Once the Spurs won the draft lottery, the talk of PF picked up more steam. If the Celtics would have won the Lottery like the way they tanked and were wanting to, he would of been a 5 for them.

    I also followed Duncan and Camby a lot in their College days. Camby was a beast in College, him and Calipari led UMAss to a number overall seed in the tourney could've been 2 overall next to Kentucky, but it was one or the other. Him and Duncan were the big talk and media made Rivals because of their size, skill and defense. Camby was more projected as the 4 and Duncan leaned more towards the 5.

    This is my personal experience of the draft scene around 96-97.

    Being from Toronto, I was following guys like the two above and guys like Iverson, Ray Allen, Marbury, and KG because in HS I was big on the expansion Raptors.
    I don't see what your point is. He played 4 therefore he is was a 4. The fact that he was the greatest 4 of all time despite you thinking he would be a more natural 5 just makes him that much more incredible. Tim Duncan played PF and therefore is the greatest PF of all time.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    43,316
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    He didn't just play the 4 next to Robinson though. Rasho, Splitter, Perdue, etc. He could play both. Bird played PF for basically half his career, so did Worthy and I'd almost consider Worthy a PF because he did it when he was at his best. Every great player can play multiple positions - the one they functionally play on defense depends on a lot of things. Lebron is much more of a PG than Duncan is a C, for example. And if you disagree, then Magic is much more of a SF than he is a PG for the same reasons you'll say Lebron is a SF.

    I was recently watching Duncan's first playoff game in 1998 against the Suns and Duncan started at SF in that game. Pop started Will Perdue on Cliff Robinson, Robinson on McDyess, and Duncan actually guarded Jason Kidd. He did a lot of different things early in his career because of how well he moved. I think Pop did it there though mainly because Duncan could handle it and because he didn't want his young star in early foul trouble - probably also to get his only real backup big involved early too since Ainge played smallball.

    1) Duncan
    2) Dirk
    3) Barkely
    4) Malone
    5) McHale
    6) KG
    7) Gasol
    8) Webber
    9) Pettit
    10) Debuscherre I guess, could go Bosh or maybe Rodman if I really convinced myself.
    I remember that series, didn't ainge try to go big and pop countered by going bigger, lol what a troll. Suns always suffer injuries in the playoffs so my memory is hazy on that one but I do recall Avery going berserk tho, really made me doubt kidds defense for the first time

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •