Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 54 of 74 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    But that's kind of his point. There's no way for Theo to do it and have any flexibility. It really doesn't matter how smart Theo is, the budget isn't there for a reliever who isn't elite any longer and really isn't a massive upgrade to our bullpen.

Someone else can sign Holland. CP414 has outlined the exact reason why I have no interest.
    You realize there is a clear difference between "no way" and "now way without having no payroll flexibility" correct?

Quote Originally Posted by CubsInBuffalo View Post
    You realize there is a clear difference between "no way" and "now way without having no payroll flexibility" correct?
    I mean, unless Theo Epstein is a snake-oil salesman and can sell Greg Holland on a $2m deal, then there isn't any difference for the Chicago Cubs right now. So while there "may be a difference" there's really no difference to the Cubs. The end result is, the Chicago Cubs have no realistic way to sign Greg Holland because they simply can't crush their flexibility at the deadline. Nor do they realistically need Greg Holland. They've got at least 3 RP's I'd feel more comfortable in the game than Holland, possibly four if Justin Wilson remembers how to throw strikes consistently, and the Cubs can likely find a better RP at the deadline.

So even if the Cubs didn't need the payroll flexibility I'd say that unless Holland signed some stupid-team friendly deal in the $3-4m range, on a one year contract, I wouldn't be overly interested in him. Elite-Greg-Holland is likely a thing of the past and I don't particularly like what his last two seasons have been.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 03-13-2018 at 07:26 AM.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

2018 Cubs Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CubsInBuffalo View Post
    You can't really have it both ways. You said you want Holland and you'd go to 2 yrs, 25 mil for him. You said you wouldn't want to use up all their room under the tax on him (2/25 would put them over). You said Theo could do something creative with incentives because he's smart, but there's nothing creative with incentives that changes the lux tax situation. Incentives earned count towards the total and if incentives are possible they can't spend that money on anyone else.

So, unless Holland is in for an absurdly low amount of money (less than $4 mil for sure), it's really not an option for the Cubs.

Brett mentioned in an article this morning that there are other possible bonuses that could affect the 2018 number. So between a few mil for minor league 40 man changes and bonuses, Gordo's $8 mil number could be pretty close. The more I think about it, if everyone in the pen is healthy at the end of camp, I'd cut Grimm. They have enough depth to start the season without him and the 1.5 mil or so saved could be needed in season.
    Last edited by CP_414; 03-13-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    You can't really have it both ways. You said you want Holland and you'd go to 2 yrs, 25 mil for him. You said you wouldn't want to use up all their room under the tax on him (2/25 would put them over). You said Theo could do something creative with incentives because he's smart, but there's nothing creative with incentives that changes the lux tax situation. Incentives earned count towards the total and if incentives are possible they can't spend that money on anyone else.

So, unless Holland is in for an absurdly low amount of money (less than $4 mil for sure), it's really not an option for the Cubs.

Brett mentioned in an article this morning that there are other possible bonuses that could affect the 2018 number. So between a few mil for minor league 40 man changes and bonuses, Gordo's $8 mil number could be pretty close. The more I think about it, if everyone in the pen is healthy at the end of camp, I'd cut Grimm. They have enough depth to start the season without him and the 1.5 mil or so saved could be needed in season.
    Why wouldn't they have to pay Grimm if they cut him? Is there a time frame to cut a player to relieve the team of his contract? I was under the impression that if he is DFA'd the team is still on the hook. If a team picks him up, that team pays the minimum and the team that DFA's him pays the remainder.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Why wouldn't they have to pay Grimm if they cut him? Is there a time frame to cut a player to relieve the team of his contract? I was under the impression that if he is DFA'd the team is still on the hook. If a team picks him up, that team pays the minimum and the team that DFA's him pays the remainder.
    If he's cut between now and opening day they only pay 45 days salary. There was a period where he could be cut and only paid 30 days salary, but I believe that has passed. Once opening day hits, if he's on the 25 then his salary for the year is fully guaranteed.

Thanks man! I knew there was something, but I didn't know the details.

Knowing this I don't see how he makes the team

2018 Cubs Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Thanks man! I knew there was something, but I didn't know the details.

Knowing this I don't see how he makes the team
    It's not a lot of money. Factoring in whoever replaces him on the roster, it actually only saves about $1 million. So I think it's more likely than not that he makes the team, but if everyone is healthy and looking good, I think I'd prefer they store that cash for July. I think a combination of other players could perform as well or better than Grimm anyway and it would be nice to rotate an extra bat into that spot on occasion.
    Last edited by CP_414; 03-13-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Dario Alvarez looked pretty bad today.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Correct. As a large market team under the lux tax, the Cubs receive comp picks after the 2nd round for eligible FA loses. So they have 2 picks in that group after losing Jake and Davis. They have one first in this draft and 5 picks in around the top 100.
    God I hate the current draft/international budget and draft slot rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser 3 View Post
    He's pretty much sucked each time I've seen him

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser 3 View Post
    He isn't very good at pitching...

Chatwood racked up 9 Ks and 4 GO in 5 innings. That's pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Chatwood racked up 9 Ks and 4 GO in 5 innings. That's pretty awesome.
    I know it's only ST and to take ST numbers with a grain of salt, but he also has a Sub-1.00 ERA over the Spring thus far.
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmmahhh View Post
    I know it's only ST and to take ST numbers with a grain of salt, but he also has a Sub-1.00 ERA over the Spring thus far.
    It's a lot easier to be optimistic though, when they aren't getting shelled!
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Heyyo1900 View Post
    It's a lot easier to be optimistic though, when they aren't getting shelled!
    'Tis True
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

Page 54 of 74 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast