Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 236
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    13,992
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Iím assuming you know that a mule can not reproduce?

    Not to mention that a horse and donkey are extremely similar.
    Nope that's not why it was more appropriate.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    72,796
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Crovash, name one medical advancement that couldnít have been made WITHOUT the theory of evolution.
    Oh god, we're doing this again!? Remember in the Science Forum where you made a thread on this, got dunked on by everyone and eventually abandoned it. I'll share my post again, though your question there was slightly different: "What scientific advancements have been made because of the theory of evolution , that could not have been made otherwise? In short... what has evolution done for us?"

    Regardless of the obvious things "evolution has done for us"...why does it have to "do" anything? It's a scientific fact. It happens. Period. It's validity is completely independent of the benefits it does or doesn't affords humanity, the scientific community, or whatever.

    Let's start with, I don't know...Pretty much all of modern medicine. Almost every drug you've ever taken has been tested on animals first, and the leap from animal to humans is completely dependent on our evolutionary relatedness.

    It's given us a more fundamental understanding of life. Conservation biology. Treating parasitic diseases. Epidemiology in general. Antibiotics. Cancer research. HIV research. Cloning. Agricultural benefits (GMOs, pest resistant crops, etc.). Mapping the human genome. Genetic counseling. Controlling hereditary diseases. Flu shots. DNA fingerprinting.

    More generally, evolution has given us us. It's given us an advantage over every other species on Earth. It's led to intelligent life. It's given us biodiversity. All life on Earth shares a common ancestor.

    Try again.
    In terms of the discussion here, me saying it's an absolute "fact" I guess is slightly incorrect. Whatever. It's true, but it's good that science is skeptical of stating things as fact.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & goodô now

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    29,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I don't think many people consider science when getting in a car, entering a building, or doing anything involving electricity. I also wouldn't say that the theory of evolution is an outlier. How many times in every day life do people raise suspicions about the efficacy of a medication, or a scientific study, etc. Far more often than the number of times they've ever thought about the safety of a vehicle. "Study finds evidence...", "Doctors believe...". This stuff is everywhere and most of the time people are highly skeptical of it.
    Of course they don't, because their trust in the science behind the products their buying is so absolute they don't have to think about it.

    Yes, people are skeptical of some medicine (thought the things you're describing seem more like clickbait articles than actual definitive medical information), but it's not a massive number overall (consider that while there are a lot of anti-vaxxers, they are still a very small portion of the US).

    Generally, people will believe science blindly up until it contradicts their pre-existing viewpoints, then they'll deny it.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hammond, IN
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Outstanding question. Try cancer research:

    https://www.facebook.com/AtheistRepu...3178903102295/
    I wish you guys were as critical when listening to others... the guy literally said nothing!

    He said we found building blocks... nucleotides! How does the theory of evolution make that happen?

    Next!

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hammond, IN
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Oh god, we're doing this again!? Remember in the Science Forum where you made a thread on this, got dunked on by everyone and eventually abandoned it. I'll share my post again, though your question there was slightly different: "What scientific advancements have been made because of the theory of evolution , that could not have been made otherwise? In short... what has evolution done for us?"



    In terms of the discussion here, me saying it's an absolute "fact" I guess is slightly incorrect. Whatever. It's true, but it's good that science is skeptical of stating things as fact.
    None of what you said has anything to do with one kind becoming something other than what it originally was. None.

    No one is going to argue that animals and humans are built from the same stuff... no one is going to argue differences in kinds happens.

    Thatís all youíve said. No one is arguing that. Why arenít you?

    The point of being up medicine was to prove to Crovash that going to seek out medical help has NOTHING to do with putting your faith in evolution but in actual evidence-based science... you know, the kind where we can test something and see if it works? And then we can test it over and over and over again and get the same results?

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,217
    The medical reference was a sidebar.

    I take evolution to be "fact" (see the article I posted earlier) in large part because I respect and trust those whom I believe to have done due diligence on the the subject.

    I reject creationism on the same basic principle -- though reversed 180 degrees; I neither respect nor trust those who advocate it, at least as far as this particular issue is concerned.

    Pretty simple.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    72,796
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    None of what you said has anything to do with one kind becoming something other than what it originally was. None.

    No one is going to argue that animals and humans are built from the same stuff... no one is going to argue differences in kinds happens.

    Thatís all youíve said. No one is arguing that. Why arenít you?

    The point of being up medicine was to prove to Crovash that going to seek out medical help has NOTHING to do with putting your faith in evolution but in actual evidence-based science... you know, the kind where we can test something and see if it works? And then we can test it over and over and over again and get the same results?
    "Animals and humans are built from the same stuff".

    I don't think you actually understand evolution. Nor am I convinced you passed a 9th grade bio course.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & goodô now

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,548
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Let me know you observe them becoming something other than mice.
    I can't tell if you are a troll, don't understand the difference between evolution and transformation, or know much about science in general.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    19,138
    Idk I can look at selective breeding of dogs over the past 100 years and see how breeds have been changed by the influence of man and it's easy for me to see that over hundreds of thousands of years nature can do the same thing to other living things.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hammond, IN
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I can't tell if you are a troll, don't understand the difference between evolution and transformation, or know much about science in general.
    You guys really need to stop with this idiotic accusation.

    I understand evolution just fine. All that we see today came from a single-called organism that reproduced itself and apparently had all the genetic coding in itself to create every cell of every life form in the world.

    Simple. Fanciful... but simple.

    The only reason you say I donít understand is because you donít want to admit that you cannot observe full scale evolution... you can only assume what would happen if given millions of years.

    I know that cats donít turn into dogs. I know chimps donít turn into men. Iím not suggesting that at all. But eventually your theory has to have one kind become something else or none of this would be here. So stop with the stupid ďyou donít understandĒ crap and explain to me how what Iíve said is wrong.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hammond, IN
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Idk I can look at selective breeding of dogs over the past 100 years and see how breeds have been changed by the influence of man and it's easy for me to see that over hundreds of thousands of years nature can do the same thing to other living things.
    Yeah but they always get a dog, donít they?

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hammond, IN
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    "Animals and humans are built from the same stuff".

    I don't think you actually understand evolution. Nor am I convinced you passed a 9th grade bio course.
    Funny... the hospitals I work for know differently. You see, itís possible to go to school and not agree with every leftist college professor.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    19,138
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Yeah but they always get a dog, donít they?
    So simple, so cocksure.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hammond, IN
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    So simple, so cocksure.
    If Iím wrong... just provide the link. I promise Iíll look at it with an open mind. If you can provide me with any proof that one kind of something became a new Kind of something... Iíll. Admit Iím wrong about evolution.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hammond, IN
    Posts
    2,727
    Btw, can those ďevolvedĒ mice reproduce? And spread the new genetic code? Just curious since mules and ligers cannot.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •