Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 235
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    God could have used evolution as a process to create man.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He could have. But it would contradict the Bible timeline. So He didnít.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I say the same thing about scientists trying to argue about the existence if a deity. It's by definition not science. Evolution however is observable. The face that you ignore that is a product of religious thinking. Google silver Fox evolution and you will see something akin to the evolution of a dog occur in short time frame.
    I may not have seen what you warned me to see. I read about a red fox becoming a silver fox. Is that evolution? Fox that has a different hair color? See this is where you go from science to fiction. You see something small happen in a relatively short period of time and then assume something bigger would happen if given enough time. Thatís not science. There is no proven transitional fossil for any species anywhere in the world thatís has ever been found.

    Of course variations happen... not one single person would argue that. But you cannot observe anything beyond that, so anything more becomes assumptions without proof.

    FWIW, I agree that trying to prove a deity is not science either. If God exists, He would clearly be outside of the restraints of science.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    11,982
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    I may not have seen what you warned me to see. I read about a red fox becoming a silver fox. Is that evolution? Fox that has a different hair color? See this is where you go from science to fiction. You see something small happen in a relatively short period of time and then assume something bigger would happen if given enough time. Thatís not science. There is no proven transitional fossil for any species anywhere in the world thatís has ever been found.

    Of course variations happen... not one single person would argue that. But you cannot observe anything beyond that, so anything more becomes assumptions without proof.

    FWIW, I agree that trying to prove a deity is not science either. If God exists, He would clearly be outside of the restraints of science.
    No that's not it. It's the silver Fox turning into a domesticated animal in the span of 25 years. The change in structure created by selecting for their social response to humans was remarkable.

    That said if you think that you need to see a frog turn into a person for evolution to be true, one you don't understand evolution, two you probably should just watch some harry Potter.

    But also you aren't worth talking about it with because by definition you CAN'T believe in it.
    Last edited by flips333; 02-12-2018 at 03:36 PM.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    If you are religious you don't have to believe in evolution. As a scientist one could not refute the idea that the world was created the moment you read this. All the fossils in the ground were just put there You were created just before reading this with all the thoughts in your head. That thinking can't be refuted with science because it's a theory that isn't falsifiable.

    Therefore arguing science with someone from a religious perspective is pointless. Once you accept the supernatural then anything is possible. A theory that isn't able to be refuted with evidence.isnt a scientific theory.
    Even as a unreligous person you can disbelieve evolution. You may not agree that Gidncreated the earth in 6 literal days either. But evolution has no proof and MANY flaws. I would argue against evolution whether I was a Christian or not.

    You are right though... if you can believe the first sentence in the Bible, you can easily believe anything after.

    ďIn the beginning, God created the heavens and the earthĒ

    When you actually think about it... Thatís the biggest claim the Bible makes.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    24,081
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Forgive me!

    Coming from rocks is easier to believe? A single called organism magically coming to life? That cell somehow deciding it wanted to be two cells? Itís dna? Then from that singled celled organism... all animal, plant and bacterial life rose!!!!

    Yeah... the ďall of humanity rose from 2 people 6000 years agoĒ looks crazy!
    I love how you scoff at the "magic" of a single celled organism and then believe that God magically created everything.

    Why is one magic more/less believable than the other in your mind?

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    11,982
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Even as a unreligous person you can disbelieve evolution. You may not agree that Gidncreated the earth in 6 literal days either. But evolution has no proof and MANY flaws. I would argue against evolution whether I was a Christian or not.

    You are right though... if you can believe the first sentence in the Bible, you can easily believe anything after.

    ďIn the beginning, God created the heavens and the earthĒ

    When you actually think about it... Thatís the biggest claim the Bible makes.
    yes but the person who doesn't believe in evolution because of the evidence is different than the person who can't believe in it because of his religion. One is worth talking to about it... the other is you.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    27,077
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    He could have. But it would contradict the Bible timeline. So He didnít.
    Time is a man-made construct.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,603
    I suspect that what's most frightening about the theory of evolution is not where we came from but where we are going.

    While it is becoming increasingly unlikely that the human species will survive itself, nevertheless, if it does, it will evolve and leave us (as we know us) in the proverbial dust. Kind of interesting to speculate on (one of the reasons I enjoyed much of the work of the late Arthur C. Clarke -- especially 2001 A Space Odyssey and Childhood's End)

    Should this happen, of course, it would surely obliterate the exalted status of humanity as presented in many religions, christianity chief among them.

    And, by the way, I do not think they would be all that empathetic; I have these darkly humorous images of "them" putting "us" in cages in zoos and coming to gawk at us -- or worse than that....

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I love how you scoff at the "magic" of a single celled organism and then believe that God magically created everything.

    Why is one magic more/less believable than the other in your mind?
    Because both require faith! But you wonít admit that.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Time is a man-made construct.
    That doesnít even make sense from an evolutionist standpoint...

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I suspect that what's most frightening about the theory of evolution is not where we came from but where we are going.

    While it is becoming increasingly unlikely that the human species will survive itself, nevertheless, if it does, it will evolve and leave us (as we know us) in the proverbial dust. Kind of interesting to speculate on (one of the reasons I enjoyed much of the work of the late Arthur C. Clarke -- especially 2001 A Space Odyssey and Childhood's End)

    Should this happen, of course, it would surely obliterate the exalted status of humanity as presented in many religions, christianity chief among them.

    And, by the way, I do not think they would be all that empathetic; I have these darkly humorous images of "them" putting "us" in cages in zoos and coming to gawk at us -- or worse than that....
    There is nothing scary at all about evolution. What would anyone have to be scared of... nothingness?

    I could flip that around on you though couldnít I?

    I suppose what is scary about Christianity is that if one does not place their faith in christ, they will spend an eternity in hel being tormented day and night without relief.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    There is nothing scary at all about evolution. What would anyone have to be scared of... nothingness?

    I could flip that around on you though couldnít I?

    I suppose what is scary about Christianity is that if one does not place their faith in christ, they will spend an eternity in hel being tormented day and night without relief.
    Gee, there's a swell god; if you don't worship him, he tortures you.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    39,791
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    There is nothing scary at all about evolution. What would anyone have to be scared of... nothingness?

    I could flip that around on you though couldnít I?

    I suppose what is scary about Christianity is that if one does not place their faith in christ, they will spend an eternity in hel being tormented day and night without relief.
    Good thing a bad story never scared me

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    24,081
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Because both require faith! But you wonít admit that.
    Of course I would, one is faith in a book written thousands of years ago with demonstrably false passages and the other is faith in the scientific community and the scientific data and theories presented both historically and in the present.

    But more to my point, if both require faith, then is believing that a single celled organism began living any more fantastical than believing God created everything?

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    No that's not it. It's the silver Fox turning into a domesticated animal in the span of 25 years. The change in structure created by selecting for their social response to humans was remarkable.

    That said if you think that you need to see a frog turn into a person for evolution to be true, one you don't understand evolution, two you probably should just watch some harry Potter.

    But also you aren't worth talking about it with because by definition you CAN'T believe in it.

    Itís still a fox though... right? Or is it something else?

    ďYou donít understandĒ once again the old faithful response from someone who lacks the ability to adequately describe the trash theyíve been fed.

    Maybe itís because you donít know what you talking about? Are you an evolutionary scientist? Or just a sheep who is spewing out what itís been told?

    Baaaaaa Evolution!!!!
    Last edited by The20thK; 02-13-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •