Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    25,249

    Spring Training Thread

    Pitchers and catchers report on February 13, but some players are already there.

    Power arms and speedy outfielders headline Cardinals' non-roster invitees in Jupiter
    JUPITER, Fla. • Several hours before lunchtime, 19-year-old Delvin Perez unspooled his spindly frame from the backseat of a black SUV, adjusted his red, Yadier Molina-brand ballcap and fell in rank, several steps behind the Cardinals’ catcher whose initials were on the hat.

    Informal workouts at the Cardinals’ Roger Dean Stadium facility have been going on for weeks, but the work is ramping up toward next week’s official beginning of spring training. For the players, too.
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...86a498f91.html

    Cardinals minor leaguer Daniel Poncedeleon will go to spring workouts after scary hit to head

    Nine months ago, some of Daniel Poncedeleon's loved ones feared he might not walk or talk, let alone pitch, again -- if he survived the effects of the line drive that struck him in the head in a Triple-A game.

    Poncedeleon was off to a good start to the season and the game last May 9 for the St. Louis Cardinals' Memphis Redbirds, until a shot off the bat of Iowa's Victor Caratini hit him near his right temple. The right-hander endured emergency surgery to alleviate pressure on his brain, followed by a couple of weeks in intensive care in Des Moines and then three months of inactivity at home in Florida.

    Poncedeleon, who turned 26 last month, is now planning to get married on Wednesday to Jennifer Beatty, the mother of their son Casen, born Thanksgiving Day, 2016. And next week -- on Valentine's Day -- he's to participate in the Cardinals' first official spring workout for pitchers and catchers.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...recovering-hit

    Paul DeJong willingly gives No. 11 back to Jose Oquendo

    JUPITER, Fla. • Shortstop Paul DeJong, who rapped 25 homers as a rookie playing just more than half a season with the Cardinals last season, will be wearing No. 12 when the season starts. That is one numeral higher than what he sported last season.

    This means that longtime Cardinal and longer-time coach Jose Oquendo, who has returned to active duty, again will be wearing No. 11.
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...eda7f7045.html

    Ortiz: Hungry Cardinals begin migration to Jupiter

    Although pitchers and catchers won’t officially report to spring training until Feb. 13, the dispatches already coming out of Roger Dean Stadium indicate that some powerful birds of prey have started fighting for supremacy in Jupiter, Fla.

    Matt Carpenter noted on Twitter on Friday that a bald eagle swooped down and attacked another eagle right above him and Kolten Wong as they took grounders earlier that morning at the Cardinals’ spring home.

    “FYI those things are huge,” Carpenter added in his tweet.

    “True story! Those things are a lot bigger than I expected,” Wong replied via his Twitter account.

    In case anybody doubted Carpenter and Wong, hard-throwing righthander Alex Reyes backed their claims by telling Tommy Pham via Twitter that he was playing catch nearby during the eagles’ confrontation.

    There’s a metaphor in that story.
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...71895f1d6.html

    Ortiz: Cardinals GM Girsch full of optimism, even if the public isn't

    Michael Girsch cleared out his closet Monday night for his annual pilgrimage to Jupiter, Fla. As the Cardinals’ general manager has done since he was promoted to assistant GM in 2011, he packed seven weeks’ worth of clothes to hold him over for all of spring training.

    He then tossed a large suitcase and a medium one into his car Tuesday so that it could be loaded onto the team’s moving truck at Busch Stadium for the trip to Florida. He’ll take another suitcase and plenty of optimism with him Sunday when he boards his flight to Florida.

    Girsch, who was promoted to GM on June 30 after John Mozeliak was promoted to president of baseball operations, played a bigger role than ever this winter in helping Mozeliak put the roster together. Now he’s eager to see how the pieces settle in.
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...142dddfe0.html

    Feel free to discuss anything Spring-training related.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9,740
    Well, Mikolas is off to a great start..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    30,181
    He’s guna be better than Arietta this year
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,102
    It was his first spring start who the heck cares about the first results! If he keeps these results the entire spring then I will worry but he'll be fine.

    Just a FYI the Cubs were one of the other teams trying to sign Mikolas as well! So obviously they saw something in him and wanted to sign him but he signed with the cards partly because the our spring training facility is in Jupiter, Fl which is where he is from.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bloomington IL
    Posts
    9,783
    Yeah i think it’s about 2 months too early to decide that Mikolas stinks haha

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,126
    Quote Originally Posted by stlfan544 View Post
    It was his first spring start who the heck cares about the first results! If he keeps these results the entire spring then I will worry but he'll be fine.

    Just a FYI the Cubs were one of the other teams trying to sign Mikolas as well! So obviously they saw something in him and wanted to sign him but he signed with the cards partly because the our spring training facility is in Jupiter, Fl which is where he is from.
    Yes, the Cubs were in on Mikolas. But he was had for a 2 yr $15.5M deal. Then the Cubs signed Chatwood for a 3/$38M deal. I would say if they really wanted Mikolas they would have just blown the Cardinals deal out of the water and signed him. I think a contract millions more would have had him coming to Arizona instead. But, apparently they did not like him nearly as much as Chatwood. Doesn't mean Mikolas won't be good. But suggesting he might be since the Cubs wanted him too is not entirely reassuring. He went for less than $8M a year. Typically you get what you pay for or less. And they did not pay much

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9,740
    Nobody said he sucks.. I just said he was off to a good start..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,127
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Yes, the Cubs were in on Mikolas. But he was had for a 2 yr $15.5M deal. Then the Cubs signed Chatwood for a 3/$38M deal. I would say if they really wanted Mikolas they would have just blown the Cardinals deal out of the water and signed him. I think a contract millions more would have had him coming to Arizona instead. But, apparently they did not like him nearly as much as Chatwood. Doesn't mean Mikolas won't be good. But suggesting he might be since the Cubs wanted him too is not entirely reassuring. He went for less than $8M a year. Typically you get what you pay for or less. And they did not pay much
    Certainly. The Cubs clearly liked Chatwood more (though he was signed a couple of days after). That's a lot more for Chatwood.

    STEAMER has Mikolas projected for 8.31 K/9, 1.96 BB/9, 1.36 HR/9 - 4.05 FIP, 3.94 xFIP
    STEAMER has Chatwood projected for 7.87 K/9, 4.14 BB/9, 0.92 HR/9 - 4.23 FIP, 4.20 xFIP

    We'll see. Both are kind of unknown for their 2018 performances. Chatwood hasn't shown consistencies and is coming from Colorado. Mikolas dominated, but it was in Japan and his velocity won't look nearly as good over here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,127
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    Well, Mikolas is off to a great start..
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    He’s guna be better than Arietta this year


    1. That is unnecessary, nobody said he would be better than Arrieta, but that he very well could out pitch Arrieta over the 2018-2019 seasons.
    2. Spring performances are completely unnecessary to judge players on. I think Kershaw has a career Spring ERA over 5. Same with Felix and Lincecum. Guys work on stuff when they pitch in the spring. Focus on commanding a secondary pitch usually. So it'll be the only thing they throw. Very little reason to care about spring numbers. They don't matter for a reason.

    His pitches were fairly up in the zone. And he is a guy that commands the lower section of the strike zone though. So I'm hoping he does that more in his next few starts.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    807
    Well... he is currently out pitching Arrieta

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Certainly. The Cubs clearly liked Chatwood more (though he was signed a couple of days after). That's a lot more for Chatwood.

    STEAMER has Mikolas projected for 8.31 K/9, 1.96 BB/9, 1.36 HR/9 - 4.05 FIP, 3.94 xFIP
    STEAMER has Chatwood projected for 7.87 K/9, 4.14 BB/9, 0.92 HR/9 - 4.23 FIP, 4.20 xFIP

    We'll see. Both are kind of unknown for their 2018 performances. Chatwood hasn't shown consistencies and is coming from Colorado. Mikolas dominated, but it was in Japan and his velocity won't look nearly as good over here.
    True. I only said anything because someone suggested that Miko should be good because the Cubs were after him too. I am only saying they were not exactly after him, considering they took someone else for a lot more money who they are hoping will be their #5 starter. You are absolutely correct, he might be fine. And he might out pitch Chatwood. Personally I know nothing about Mikolas, other than he was not very good here and ended up in Japan. Now he is back and trying again. Given the option of a guy who was pretty bad here but found himself in Japan or a guy who had the second best road era over the last few years but got rocked in Colorado, I would go with the guy from Colorado every time. I think the change in teams will help Chatwood greatly and will hurt Mikolas equally as much.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,127
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    True. I only said anything because someone suggested that Miko should be good because the Cubs were after him too. I am only saying they were not exactly after him, considering they took someone else for a lot more money who they are hoping will be their #5 starter. You are absolutely correct, he might be fine. And he might out pitch Chatwood. Personally I know nothing about Mikolas, other than he was not very good here and ended up in Japan. Now he is back and trying again. Given the option of a guy who was pretty bad here but found himself in Japan or a guy who had the second best road era over the last few years but got rocked in Colorado, I would go with the guy from Colorado every time. I think the change in teams will help Chatwood greatly and will hurt Mikolas equally as much.
    Mikolas dominated Japan. Better than Colby Lewis and Hiroki Kuroda did and worse than Tanaka and Darvish did. His Japanese numbers mirror Matsuzaka rather well.

    But that isn't really any indication of who he will be.

    He is a Jake Westbrook, Mike Leake type. Throws upper 80's/lower 90's with good sink at the bottom of the strike zone. Throws a ton of strikes, will get some strike outs on his secondary, but mainly because he just stays ahead in the count. He'll beat bad teams, probably be average to bad against good teams.

    I see a 12-9, 180 innings, 4.00 ERA type of season with 7.5 K/9, 2.0 BB/9, 1.3 HR/9 (that's a 4.02 FIP)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Mikolas dominated Japan. Better than Colby Lewis and Hiroki Kuroda did and worse than Tanaka and Darvish did. His Japanese numbers mirror Matsuzaka rather well.

    But that isn't really any indication of who he will be.

    He is a Jake Westbrook, Mike Leake type. Throws upper 80's/lower 90's with good sink at the bottom of the strike zone. Throws a ton of strikes, will get some strike outs on his secondary, but mainly because he just stays ahead in the count. He'll beat bad teams, probably be average to bad against good teams.

    I see a 12-9, 180 innings, 4.00 ERA type of season with 7.5 K/9, 2.0 BB/9, 1.3 HR/9 (that's a 4.02 FIP)
    I think that is a reasonable high end for him as far as all the numbers except wins and losses. No way to determine that. But I think that is a ceiling on him. Those are numbers you should be very happy with. Personally I feel he is more likely to fail as he is to produce the numbers you are suggesting. Again, not like he was highly sought out. Typically if FO's expected those numbers I would guess he would have gotten more offers. That said, there is something about the Cardinals organization that at least for one year gets good value out of new additions. So you can be right.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,127
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I think that is a reasonable high end for him as far as all the numbers except wins and losses. No way to determine that. But I think that is a ceiling on him. Those are numbers you should be very happy with. Personally I feel he is more likely to fail as he is to produce the numbers you are suggesting. Again, not like he was highly sought out. Typically if FO's expected those numbers I would guess he would have gotten more offers. That said, there is something about the Cardinals organization that at least for one year gets good value out of new additions. So you can be right.
    Sure.

    Based on the info we have been giving on him though, I'm surprised more teams weren't in on him (and Thames last year for the Brewers)

    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ther...er-from-japan/


    Fangraphs, overall, consider him a league average starter whose numbers will play up because of league and park. Which is worth $8M per year very easily as long as he tosses enough innings.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Sure.

    Based on the info we have been giving on him though, I'm surprised more teams weren't in on him (and Thames last year for the Brewers)

    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ther...er-from-japan/


    Fangraphs, overall, consider him a league average starter whose numbers will play up because of league and park. Which is worth $8M per year very easily as long as he tosses enough innings.
    Oh, heck yes. The numbers you are suggesting are way more valuable than $8M a year. Personally I do not believe he will be that good. I see him as a clear 5th starter. And not a very good one. I think it is asking a lot to hope he performs as you or even fangraph is suggesting. And I would guess most FO agree he won't be that good. Again, with every team in baseball needing starting pitching he went for $15.5M/2 yrs. It does make you wonder why so many were not interested, doesn't it? To me he is a huge question mark.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •