Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsKnicks View Post
    Just a thought from a dude who doesn't post much but has lurked here for about a decade and even had a handle back in the day but forgot the login so started over...

I usually come here over other fan sites to keep up with Mets roster moves, rumors and especially the minor league threads. There are some really informed folks around here when it comes to the farm and other things.

But the same couple of folks bickering is pretty off putting. It makes a newer poster feel like 'why bother'. Any forum I've been a part of stagnates if there's no new blood. New blood don't feel welcome when people bicker about the 'posting style' of some other stranger on the other side of the intertronz...

So back on topic. Matt Reynolds sucks. He's always sucked. He had about a season or two of decent ball in the minors but the peripherals were terrible and it was obvious that they wouldn't translate on a ML level. he's just never been a fit, even as a back of the bench piece. Anytime he was in the line-up I felt that Terry was making one of those "I'm trying my best to lose or only win if my pitcher throws a shut out" line-ups that he seemed to love. He would have been released a year ago if he wasn't a comp pick.

Gavin seems to be not too far behind IMO. Where does he even fit on the depth chart with Rosario, Cabrera, Flores, Smith, Gonzo, Reyes, Frazier and probably even Guillermo ahead of him (I know I'd rather have Guillermo on the 25 man if one of them was gonna make it, for the late game D at 2nd) . That would make him the 9th IF on the depth chart, 10th if Bruce plays a lot of first base after Conforto returns.

With Lageres, Nimmo, Bruce, Ces and Conforto in the OF- that's 5 of and 8 IF ahead of him, plus the two catchers has him as 16th offensive player on the roster at best. Even if we go with an 11 man instead of a 12 man (which won't happen with our injury history and the way Callaway wants interchangeable parts) that has him as the 27th man on the depth charts at best. Even with Conforto not likely to break camp that doesn't really impact GC because they'll likely bring another OF to camp. I don't see him having any spot on this roster
    I hear ya man....I was a lurker for a long time too but I posted over the years occasionally. I started getting more active lately and one person in particular was more concerned with trolling me rather than having baseball discussions. At first I gave into it and fought back and forth with him for a few days (Which also probably made me look like I was stooping to his level and probably was annoying for everyone as well). Then I just decided to ignore him. Once I got past that brief annoyance things have gotten back to intelligent, informative baseball discussions with the other posters who are here to talk baseball just like you & I. You should def post more man! Like me you will figure out after a week or two who to ignore and who is the most fun to have a good discussion with then it really its a great forum!
    Last edited by ImTheKing30; 02-09-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    Just a Met's fan surrounded by Phillies fan's standing strong behind enemy lines

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheKing30 View Post
    I hear ya man....I was a lurker for a long time too but I posted over the years occasionally. I started getting more active lately and one person in particular was more concerned with trolling me rather than having baseball discussions. At first I gave into it and fought back and forth with him for a few days (Which also probably made me look like I was stooping to his level and probably was annoying for everyone as well). Then I just decided to ignore him. Once I got past that brief annoyance things have gotten back to intelligent, informative baseball discussions with the other posters who are here to talk baseball just like you & I. You should def post more man! Like me you will figure out after a week or two who to ignore and who is the most fun to have a good discussion with then it really its a great forum!
    One of the reasons I decided to start an account after forgetting my old log in was because after we graduated the last group of pitchers up through around the time Rosario started AAA I lost interest in the farm system. I started getting interested again recently and I've always thought this forum had the most well informed discussion on prospects. Always felt that way about the knicks forum too. Those dudes bleed hoops. I look forward to hopefully having a farm system worth talking about again

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Forget Flores at any middle infield spot.

Rivera is another guy that just sucks on defense and likely will just be out there when they need offense.

Guillorme is the future utility guy.

Cecchini has a shot to become the future second baseman of he does well at AAA, I am not giving up on him yet. Not that am high on him at all, but I think he can bounce back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cecchini just looked flat out horrible to me, both as a hitter and a fielder. At least Reynolds was polished with the glove. I see my opinion is of the minority.

I think Wilmer could be fine at second. His defensive woes usually stem from his difficulties making throws from the left side of the diamond. He should be ok with the shorter throw.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Cecchini just looked flat out horrible to me, both as a hitter and a fielder. At least Reynolds was polished with the glove. I see my opinion is of the minority.

I think Wilmer could be fine at second. His defensive woes usually stem from his difficulties making throws from the left side of the diamond. He should be ok with the shorter throw.
    Not at all.
    Gavin has been dreadful.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Not at all.
    Gavin has been dreadful.
    Last time i saw someone so ill suited to play in the major leagues you probably have to go back to Brad Eamus.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Well Sandy said that Cabrera’s preference to play second made him decide on Frazier over Nuñes, so it matters what they think and say.

I've been a Flores supporter for a while. I've always wondered why he hasn't been given a real shot at 2nd base. If Cabrera's dictating personnel moves though, the answer's clear: because the front office is dysfunctional and awful.

Otherwise, I haven't seen enough of Cecchini to make such a harsh judgement. He had been progressing up until last season.

Last time i saw someone so ill suited to play in the major leagues you probably have to go back to Brad Eamus.
    Lol anytime you are compared to Brad Eamus you may want to just retire to ride off into the sunset...
    Just a Met's fan surrounded by Phillies fan's standing strong behind enemy lines

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Not at all.
    Gavin has been dreadful.
    In 2017, but not before.

Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    I've been a Flores supporter for a while. I've always wondered why he hasn't been given a real shot at 2nd base. If Cabrera's dictating personnel moves though, the answer's clear: because the front office is dysfunctional and awful.

Otherwise, I haven't seen enough of Cecchini to make such a harsh judgement. He had been progressing up until last season.
    IMO Cabrera had a decent run here but I'd prefer the team move in a new direction at 2B whether it's Wilmer/Jose or something altogether new. Of course that's easier said than done with his contract.

However, in his defense, he wasn't dictating personnel moves. He candidly admitted he had a tough time adjusting to 3B after being unseated at SS, and that he prefers 2B because he feels more comfortable there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    IMO Cabrera had a decent run here but I'd prefer the team move in a new direction at 2B whether it's Wilmer/Jose or something altogether new. Of course that's easier said than done with his contract.

However, in his defense, he wasn't dictating personnel moves. He candidly admitted he had a tough time adjusting to 3B after being unseated at SS, and that he prefers 2B because he feels more comfortable there.
    Jose wouldn't be a new direction. Would love to see Wilmer get every day at bats for the first time since finding his stroke. I think he'll be fine defensively at second given that most of his fielding problems stem from being unable to consistently throw accurately from the left side of the diamond. But i'm not ruliing out the possibility of him getting exposed at second either.

Would hate to go back to the days of routinely botching double play balls, the uncharged but very costly errors that help lose ball games. Would like to see Wilmer get the benefit of the doubt until he proves me wrong.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post

Agreed. And now that most of the IF defense looks pretty good, I'd be even more inclined to give the job to Flores and let his bat get in the lineup every day.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Jose wouldn't be a new direction. Would love to see Wilmer get every day at bats for the first time since finding his stroke. I think he'll be fine defensively at second given that most of his fielding problems stem from being unable to consistently throw accurately from the left side of the diamond. But i'm not ruliing out the possibility of him getting exposed at second either.

Would hate to go back to the days of routinely botching double play balls, the uncharged but very costly errors that help lose ball games. Would like to see Wilmer get the benefit of the doubt until he proves me wrong.
    He would. His lateral footwork and range are awful. He plods. I always thought Flores would make a good DH but his only real fielding position to me is 1st base.

Jose wouldn't be a new direction. .
    True. Should have been more clear: I'd be okay with Wilmer with Jose spotting him and playing super sub. At this point Cabrera and Jose's potential roles are similar and it doesn't make sense having both on the same roster.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    He would. His lateral footwork and range are awful. He plods. I always thought Flores would make a good DH but his only real fielding position to me is 1st base.
    I like him at first base too. But while his foot work is far from good, his lankiness and reach can compensate at second better than it could at short. I don't think he'd be as bad as Daniel Murphy who has to play in shallow right field to have any chance of keeping ground balls in front of him.

I like him at first base too. But while his foot work is far from good, his lankiness and reach can compensate at second better than it could at short. I don't think he'd be as bad as Daniel Murphy who has to play in shallow right field to have any chance of keeping ground balls in front of him.
    Yet we'd still rather have Murphy! lol

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast