Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quincy Jones rips The Beatles

https://www.avclub.com/quincy-jones-...*er-1822804301

They were no-playing mother****ers. Paul was the worst bass player I ever heard. And Ringo? Don’t even talk about it. I remember once we were in the studio with George Martin, and Ringo had taken three hours for a four-bar thing he was trying to fix on a song. He couldn’t get it. We said, “Mate, why don’t you get some lager and lime, some shepherd’s pie, and take an hour-and-a-half and relax a little bit.” So he did, and we called Ronnie Verrell, a jazz drummer. Ronnie came in for 15 minutes and tore it up. Ringo comes back and says, “George, can you play it back for me one more time?” So George did, and Ringo says, “That didn’t sound so bad.” And I said, “Yeah, mother****er because it ain’t you.” Great guy, though.
    Ouch. Bitter old man syndrome or just criticism?

Sounds like bitter old man syndrome to me. Regardless, the Beatles are known more for their songwriting and were never really considered virtuosos on their instruments or anything.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

I don't think anyone ever thought of Ringo as a good drummer.

I agree with Spliff, it's their songwriting, not their playing that made them famous.

Quincy on a rampage these days. He just outed Marlon Brando and Richard Pryor as having a sexual relationship. Which ended up being confirmed by Pryor's widow.

Just saw this thread. He also said Marlon Brando was banging Richard Pryor.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Well.....he ripped Ringo's drumming and McCartney's bass playing....that's basically the only two weaknesses they had (outside of 90% of Ringo's songwriting). And Ringo is an ok drummer generally, but he's not exactly in anyone's top 20.

They were still the best composers, could write a hook better than any band ever, Lennon was a brilliant writer and Harrison is one of the most underrated guitarists of all time.

Paul isn't a bad bassist by a longshot - Dear Prudence couldn't have been written by a bassist that didn't know the instrument. Just because none of the Beatles were savants with their instruments doesn't make them bad. And like others have said, the Beatles was more about having 3 songwriters any one of which would be the best in 99% of rock bands.

Quincy Jones, on the other hand, is a man of mediocre talent who has been lucky to work with giants. Jealousy.

Quincy Jones also said he dated Ivanka Trump during the time which Wiki says she was dating Jared and prior to their marriage. I don't know if that's true or not, just thought I'd add it because it sounds about as off the wall as his Beatles opinion.

Yeah, McCartney is 100% a solid bassist.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Yeah, McCartney is 100% a solid bassist.
    Solid, yes. Great? I mean....I dunno. I've found him to be a far better guitarist than bassist. And I'm not saying Q is right as its over the top, but if there's any weaknesses in The Beatles compared to the rest of the band....Ringo and Paul's bass playing are it. It doesn't take away from the total package of the band (which should include Martin) which is the greatest of all time.

Which is why I said "solid" and not "great". None of them were ultra impressive musicians or singers. Def a case of the whole being better than the sum of their parts. Songwriting was their calling card and Lennon/McCartney led the pack in that regard but I wouldn't say any single member was ever holding the band back because of a lack of technical skills.

Which is why I said "solid" and not "great". None of them were ultra impressive musicians or singers. Def a case of the whole being better than the sum of their parts. Songwriting was their calling card and Lennon/McCartney led the pack in that regard but I wouldn't say any single member was ever holding the band back because of a lack of technical skills.
    Kinda agree. As far as composition, creativity and songwriting, they are genius musicians. If you pull them out individually, Paul is an ok bassist, Ringo is an average drummer and John is an ok guitarist. BUT George....George is an amazing guitarist by any standard and likely the most underrated guitarist there is.

Great guitarist for sure but personally I wouldn't refer to him as amazing. Certainly underrated by some though.

Great guitarist for sure but personally I wouldn't refer to him as amazing. Certainly underrated by some though.
    I cast him aside for the longest time until I dove into some Beatles sheet music a while back. His chord composition is pretty unique and he could shred, but held it in reserve until needed. I think he's way up there, especially when factoring in songwriting and composition.

Full disclosure, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is my 2nd favorite song of all time.

That's a great song. I'm sure you know that Clapton did the solo on it?

And yeah, The Beatles definitely have some crazy ****ing guitar chords in their tracks (especially compared to more modern acts). This initially surprise me when I was starting to learn a lot of their songs on guitar. Went from being a little annoyed by it to really enjoying how it was forcing me to go outside my comfort zone and learn some interesting new chord voicings and such.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast