Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What were you taught when you were younger that turned out to be a lie?

Have fun or get serious. I was thinking about this and Iíve come up with stuff all across the spectrum;

-That cursive is important and you will only be writing in cursive when you get older (I donít know how to do anything but write my name)

-Spelling bees show how smart kids are and how itís important to know how to spell. (Not with spellcheck around lol)

-College is the only way youíll find a career that pays good (which is probably half true)

-If somebody hits you, hit them back. (basically to take whatever hits somebody threw at you in school but you couldnít touch them back because then you could be suspended even if it was self defense)

-that everybody is equal (self explanatory)

-police are your friends

-the key to getting girls is being nice and chivalrous

-baseball players who did steroids are awful etc

I could probably keep going. Iím sure some of you guys will throw up religion/Santa or something but Iím sure thereís lots of other stuff Iíve missed. Feel free to add on.

Edit: iím not trying to make this political while dropping one or two things in there. My niece was asking me for help with cursive and I was just baffled because I donít know why the **** they still teach that.
    Last edited by Zmaster52; 02-07-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Haha yes, that cursive one. WTF was the point. Of course 80's kids couldn't imagine having to type out everything on cell phones and computers. My typing classes were on typewriters

Let's see...

• 99% of the "this will be applicable in your work life later on" comments by my high school teachers.
    • Wait until you find someone special to have sex. Had I known how over-hyped that part of it was, I would have done it sooner.
    • Every elementary and middle school account of Columbus, the Pilgrims and American History in general. It's so much dirtier than it was taught.
    • If you sit too close to the TV you'll ruin your vision.
    • Marijuana is dangerous
    • Work hard and you'll be rewarded. Really its not a lie, but its a half-truth; who you know matters just as much, if not more
    • What you choose to major in in college matters. It doesn't. Just need a degree and where its from matters more than what its in, unless you move on to graduate school.
    • Keep your back elbow up in your batting stance. Some generic rule that Little League wannabe coaches told everyone on every team. Total BS and slowed my swing too much.

You need to be nice to people.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Haha yes, that cursive one. WTF was the point. Of course 80's kids couldn't imagine having to type out everything on cell phones and computers. My typing classes were on typewriters

Let's see...

• 99% of the "this will be applicable in your work life later on" comments by my high school teachers.
    • Wait until you find someone special to have sex. Had I known how over-hyped that part of it was, I would have done it sooner.
    • Every elementary and middle school account of Columbus, the Pilgrims and American History in general. It's so much dirtier than it was taught.
    • Marijuana is dangerous
    • Work hard and you'll be rewarded. Really its not a lie, but its a half-truth; who you know matters just as much, if not more
    • What you choose to major in in college matters. It doesn't. Just need a degree and where its from matters more than what its in, unless you move on to graduate school.
    • Keep your back elbow up in your batting stance. Some generic rule that Little League wannabe coaches told everyone on every team. Total BS and slowed my swing too much.
    oh for sure. Furthmore, most of your childhood achievements and failures mean absolutely nothing later. The whole paoint of parents being that way, is to form habits, and drive in a person. But yeah man, basket weaving works as a major, it's all about who you know when you get out, and then it's on you to work hard and do well.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Let's see...

• Marijuana is dangerous
    Pretty sure, I couldn't be a chemist if I was a liberal arts major lol.

And that little league one was soooo true. As soon as I got to high school I kept my elbow in, hands up, and I become a much better hitter haha
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = Rebuild Mode! Love my fellow Faithful
    Warriors = 2015 & 2017 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    A's = The young talent is here!
    WINNING!

Cursive for sure

I used to teach high school kids and one of my students wrote in cursive for everything. I had trouble figuring out some of the stuff she was saying so i would be more lax with grading her haha. Maybe that was her strategy!

How to balance a checkbook...useless.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac8675 View Post

And that little league one was soooo true. As soon as I got to high school I kept my elbow in, hands up, and I become a much better hitter haha
    That's a fair point. In the business world, you could major in Super Mario with a 1.5 GPA, but if it was a top 20 school and you had one job since college, it doesn't even matter.

I had that little league coach tip plugged into my head forever. Then I spent a summer at baseball camp with some exMLB guys who said it was all BS. Swing how you're comfortable. Imagine if someone told Juan Gonzalez or Jeff Bagwell to "correct" their stance?

Waaay less than half of college grads in the workforce are doing anything that they majored in. The exceptions are there, amd specialty fields for sure are an exception. But it's really just a piece of paper that opens more doors. Up to the person after that.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Why have you not come to the eagles forum?!?!?!?

That's a fair point. In the business world, you could major in Super Mario with a 1.5 GPA, but if it was a top 20 school and you had one job since college, it doesn't even matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Waaay less than half of college grads in the workforce are doing anything that they majored in. The exceptions are there, amd specialty fields for sure are an exception. But it's really just a piece of paper that opens more doors. Up to the person after that.

Oh, I totally get that. I know plenty of people who fit that mold. My sister went to school for marketing. Now she is a receptionist and works at Kohls. I even know a few people who I graduated with studying Chem/Biochem and they work retail or blue collar jobs.

It is 100% up to the person to be driven and put themselves out there to work in that field they studied for (unless they consciously hated it and opted to go another route). But I'd still suggest going to school and studying in the field you want to work in as it will set you up for greater success in said field than if you just studied Art history or some crap like that lol. (Apologies to all art history majors in this forum )
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = Rebuild Mode! Love my fellow Faithful
    Warriors = 2015 & 2017 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    A's = The young talent is here!
    WINNING!

Oh, I totally get that. I know plenty of people who fit that mold. My sister went to school for marketing. Now she is a receptionist and works at Kohls. I even know a few people who I graduated with studying Chem/Biochem and they work retail or blue collar jobs.

It is 100% up to the person to be driven and put themselves out there to work in that field they studied for (unless they consciously hated it and opted to go another route). But I'd still suggest going to school and studying in the field you want to work in as it will set you up for greater success in said field than if you just studied Art history or some crap like that lol. (Apologies to all art history majors in this forum )
    My sister fits the same bill. Graduate magna cum laude with a BA in health and nutrition. She got lucky and landed a job with the DOH but as somebody who has to schedule elementary school kids for the eyeglasses appointments.

Let's see...

• Marijuana is dangerous
    Every single one of these

I never thought about the back shoulder thing. Iíve kept mine up since my high school days and I couldnít hit for **** to a point where I started batting left handed completely different and am suddenly a better hitter from the left side, although no power whatsoever lol.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    I should make a thread about things I wish people taught me when I was younger, this would be one of them.

Along with how to write a check, explanation of mortgages, how to cook, etc. I feel like nobody teaches the things you need to know in life lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Why have you not come to the eagles forum?!?!?!?
    Lol...Iíve been meaning to get there. Is chip Kelly still the coach? Whatís new?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast