Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Malcolm Butler benched in Superbowl

wondering if anyone has maybe little more insight as to why Butler was benched in a game where the Pats gave up 41? From an outside perspective he seems to be a solid player and obviously was the difference maker in the Seattle game, but whats the deal with them not playing him? What does that do to his price tag this offseason? Where does he go from here?

in case anyone doesnt know the story

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/s...uper-bowl.html

Fox Sports Radio was asking about this this morning for insider info. I didn't hear anyone call in with an explanation before I got to work.

Best plausible option was Butler is 5'10 and wasn't tall enough to cover the Eagles WRs.
    First 4 years:
    Brown - 54 GP, 27 GS, 261 catches (63.3%) for 3,561 yds (8.6 AVG), 15 TD
    Landry - 64 GP, 57 GS, 400 catches (70.2%) for 4,038 yds (10.1 AVG), 22 TD

Huh. Wonder why Landry is getting paid so much...

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    Fox Sports Radio was asking about this this morning for insider info. I didn't hear anyone call in with an explanation before I got to work.

Best plausible option was Butler is 5'10 and wasn't tall enough to cover the Eagles WRs.
    after 22 pts in the half, maybe the pats try something different? lol just seemed weird to me. was he playing that bad down the stretch?

Well, it's either due to a disciplinary issue, or some information about the game that wasn't available until shortly before kickoff. The only thing I can think of in that regard is that Agholor was active despite having been ill couple of days before. Other than that our inactives were pretty easy to call.

Going into the game I would have expected Butler to match up in the slot with Agholor. He would have been a mismatch on the outside against Jeffery, Hollins and Ertz, too, who is frequently split out wide. I don't know enough about Butler to know how he matches up against speed (Torrey Smith).

So if it was an actual football reason, the only thing I can come up with for the decision is that the Patriots assumed Agholor wouldn't be 100%, so they expected Chung to handle him and also be a little better against the run. Agholor did end up being instrumental on the final TD drive, but wasn't one of the top threats on the Eagles offense up until then. It seemed to me like the focus of the play-calling on the Eagles side changed from throwing outside (Jeffery, Smith) to running inside (Blount, Ajayi) to RB out of the backfield (Clement) to inside receivers (Agholor, Ertz), so you can probably deduce the Patriots' defensive adjustments from that a little bit.

With Butler heading into free agency, millions of dollars at stake, and insider reports leaked by agents and front office staff, I have a feeling we might learn the real reason in the near future, or at least an explanation from Butler's side.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 02-05-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Looks like he was late for curfew, smoked weed and had hoes in hotel room “according to Browner”

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsSwaGG View Post
    Looks like he was late for curfew, smoked weed and had hoes in hotel room “according to Browner”
    I've been hearing a bit of the same... from what I've heard (no official reports) is that Malcolm Butler was caught in the team hotel smoking weed and drinking. When confronted about the issues, apparently he and BB son (Steve Belichick who is on the patriots staff) got into a heated argument, and Steve Belechick was punched by Malcolm Butler. Malcolm was informed 5 minutes prior to kickoff that he was not starting and was removed from all defensive packages barring injury.

Not saying any of this is true... just what I've heard. I'm sure that truth will come out soon.
    2015/2017 Superbowl Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Celticsfan2007 View Post
    I've been hearing a bit of the same... from what I've heard (no official reports) is that Malcolm Butler was caught in the team hotel smoking weed and drinking. When confronted about the issues, apparently he and BB son (Steve Belichick who is on the patriots staff) got into a heated argument, and Steve Belechick was punched by Malcolm Butler. Malcolm was informed 5 minutes prior to kickoff that he was not starting and was removed from all defensive packages barring injury.

Not saying any of this is true... just what I've heard. I'm sure that truth will come out soon.
    they were saying in reports that rowe was taking some of his snaps in practice through the week making me think it was planned ahead of time

Quote Originally Posted by Celticsfan2007 View Post

Holy crap. If true, that just cost him a ton of money.

The ONLY hashtag that even matters now...
    #SBCHAMPS

#15Points, #Steamrolled, #NotEvenCapable, #SeasonsOver, #WellDeserved, #YouWon’tBeatATL, #YouWon’tBeatMIN, #YouWon’tBeatNE, #Blowout, #Classless, #Trash, #7YearsAway, #Can’tRun, #Overrated, #BulletinBoard, #StoryTime, #Underdogs, #Snoozefest, #LeakedParade, #NotInTheSameUniverse
    #FreeGreenMonster

Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreenFan View Post
    they were saying in reports that rowe was taking some of his snaps in practice through the week making me think it was planned ahead of time
    Butler was on the injury report in the beginning of SB week for an "illness". Speculation is it was kept very hush hush and likely because he was hungover from the drugs and alcohol. Rowe definitely practiced with the 1's a lot more due to Butler missing practice time.
    2015/2017 Superbowl Champs

If this is true then BB did what he had to do... looks like Butler is on a downwards spiral.

If that's all true then Butler is a moron.

That just sounds too crazy to be true IMO. Reading Mike Reiss' twitter on the situation, it seems like Belichick made the decision himself and it wasn't disciplinary or anything

Good on BB for sticking to his guns if this is indeed the true story. Which I have to think some if is true because if not they would have just said it was an injury

BB sits Butler for getting high but Brady plays after tounging his son?

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    BB sits Butler for getting high but Brady plays after tounging his son?
    Lol. I’d much rather my players burn a j than make out with their son...or dad
    Last edited by One Nut Kruk; 02-05-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast