Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Bennett cut and his brother has been moved to Phi. so the movement is beginning and I think the tight end position might be a priority by the time the draft is here.I feel Hollister is really a very minor piece and may be gone before next season.

Too bad we didn't get in early enough for Bennett. Would have been a great addition for the cost.

I hope we stay away from Sherman. Reports suggest his ACL recovery is not going as planned and once he does finish he rehab from the ACL he has to do some work to his other knee. He may miss part or all of next season - too early to tell at this point. My fear is he's done. I'd much rather take a shot at Talib and trade Rowe

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Too bad we didn't get in early enough for Bennett. Would have been a great addition for the cost.

I hope we stay away from Sherman. Reports suggest his ACL recovery is not going as planned and once he does finish he rehab from the ACL he has to do some work to his other knee. He may miss part or all of next season - too early to tell at this point. My fear is he's done. I'd much rather take a shot at Talib and trade Rowe
    No to Sherman (to risky)......If Denver cuts Talib take a shot, but I’d much rather pay Colvin and try and trade for Earl Thomas. I got a feeling we will be in the talks for Poe also.

If we can land Colvin and Thomas, sign a DT, then my main target in the draft is a LB first. After that, go DE and then target Lauletta, followed by OL and possibly a TE.

Quote Originally Posted by Fla.SticKy View Post
    No to Sherman (to risky)......If Denver cuts Talib take a shot, but I’d much rather pay Colvin and try and trade for Earl Thomas. I got a feeling we will be in the talks for Poe also.

If we can land Colvin and Thomas, sign a DT, then my main target in the draft is a LB first. After that, go DE and then target Lauletta, followed by OL and possibly a TE.
    I don't see why we would add Earl Thomas with McCourty, Chung and Harmon already here making good money...Doesn't make a ton of sense to me. I can see adding a younger guy through the draft as the 4th S and the future replacement for Chung but that's about it.

Adding a DT, DE and LB through FA and high draft picks seems excessive for the front 7. We already have Brown, Guy, Butler and Valentine at DT. With High, Flowers, Wise and Rivers as pass rushers at DE. I could see adding 2 guys (1 in FA and 1 in the draft) but 3 seems like too much to me. Maybe later on in the draft we'll add a developmental guy. But not many snaps open for newcomers considering who we already have.

City of Champions

My goal for the defense:

EDGE...

I want Hightower moved here to start opposite Flowers. That gives you a strong starting duo with some versatility to shift to a 3-3 type look and run some zone blitzes (Flowers has been used in coverage some too).

Wise returns as a depth piece and then I'd also like to add one in FA. Not necessarily break the bank but someone on a reasonable deal that can come in and give us some rotational snaps.

Rivers comes back but you plan for him to be 5th on the depth chart and gameday inactive - anything he gives you coming off injury is gravy. If he splashes then maybe you can cut that depth signing above in camp but that depends on the rest of the roster.

Interior DL...

Brown/Guy are returning as the top guys. Butler returns as a situational rusher and Valentine comes back as a run stuffer. I'd like to see one more guy added here that slots into the top 3 of the rotation with Brown/Guy. Then on a week to week basis you decide if a rusher (Butler) or a run stuffer (Valentine) is needed more as the 4th guy with the 5th being inactive.

LB...

Sign a guy like Nigel Bradham as your big FA splurge. He can be the main coverage guy next to Van Noy as the Mike. For depth and STs, try to re-sign Flowers as I thought he was solid. Also look to invest a decent pick (2nd-4th round) in another guy here to provide depth and hopefully emerge as a starter down the road. Lastly you have Roberts who is OK as a MIKE so long as there are enough strong coverage guys next to him that he can take on limited responsibility. But he'd probably be a gameday inactive if not for injuries.

CB...

Gilmore locks down one outside spot. If you have the opportunity to get Talib, Sherman or another elite guy at a fair price then go for it. That pushes Rowe to your depth guy (unless he's traded). If not, I'm fine with Gilmore/Rowe pairing outside but we'd need to invest a pick in someone who could take over for Rowe since he's a FA after this upcoming season (and we also need depth).

In the slot, this is an area I'd look to address in FA. Then you bring J and C Jones to camp to compete for a backup spot and special teams.

Safety...

McCourty/Chung/Harmon return as the top trio. If there's an opportunity to draft a Chung replacement down the road then go for it but no urgent need here. Fill in with depth and STs players.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Talib to the Rams, and the Honey Badger may be released.
    Last edited by Fla.SticKy; 03-08-2018 at 11:51 PM.

Talib to the Rams, and the Honey Badger may be released.
    With Talib off the board I think Rowe is our best option as a #2 CB. I'd only consider Sherman if he'd come at an extremely reduced price/majorly incentive laden contract. I think that's unlikely though considering he wouldn't restructure his contract to stay in SEA.

I'm ok with Rowe (let's hope he can stay healthy) but we need to find a good to very good slot CB. Chung can man up on TE's and RB's (for the most part) but he's toast when he's across form a slot WR and our LB's aren't great in coverage either. I view this need as our highest priority and would be willing to spend some money on a guy like Aaron Colvin who is very good in the slot.

City of Champions

I've dug more into the low end Free Agent market. Here's who I like.

Morgan Burnett - Vet safety who's been injured the last 2 years. But when he has played he's been one of GB's top defenders. Could be a low cost, high upside signing if he wants to play for a winner.

Star Lotulelei - Doesn't make many big time plays but he is solid. Should come cheap. Not a signing that would put us over the top but would be a solid depth/rotational piece.

Trey Burton - Excelled in Ertz's absence last year. He's a true "move" TE. If Gronk is back, I wouldn't mind Burton being our second TE - though he may be looking for a starting spot somewhere else having won a SB last year.

DaQuan Jones - Dirty work type DL. Can take on multiple blockers and do the little things. Won't pile up stats but still makes an impact. Reminds me a lot of Lawrence Guy.

Brent Grimes - Has some name value and has been more successful in zone schemes. BB saw plenty of him in his 3 seasons with Miami. He's in his mid 30's so he's near the end of the road but might come cheap to play on a winner. Would be a solid depth guy/Rowe backup.

Anthony Hitchens - Can play ILB and OLB. Not a huge need for us but he's a solid player.

Jerick McKinnon - Not going to be a lead back but he's a good pass catching/move in space back that excel here in NE. With James White in toe he's not a huge need but we do need RB's. I like his game a lot and has been relatively successful when called into spot lead back duty. Just can't man that spot for 16 games.

Patrick Robinson - Very good slot CB. Eagles seem like they're going to pay him to stay but someone to keep an eye on solely because this is a huge need for the Patriots.

Adrian Clayborn - Big bodied pass rusher. Would fit well on our D line as currently constructed. Probably will cost more than we're willing to pay though

Isaiah Crowell - Doesn't like the world on fire. But he's durable and reliable. Won't break the bank. If we decided to move on from Gillislee I could see giving him a call.

Trent Murphy - DE/OLB in the mold of a Ninkovich. Coming off an ACL and a PED suspension so won't be available all season. Could be an interesting 1 year minimum type deal that works for both sides in rebuilding his value and offering cheap production on the field.

City of Champions

What do you guys think our biggest acquisition will be outside of the draft?

Playing around again. Assuming Gronk comes back in this scenario

Restructure/Extensions – Savings $10mil.

QB Tom Brady – extension for 3 years $37mil.
    Year 1 - $14mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 2 - $16mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 3 - $25.5mil (fully guaranteed if he makes 53man roster)
    Year 4 - $25.5mil

WR Brandon Cooks – Extension for 3 years $36mil. (Year 1 savings $2Mil.)
    Year 1 - $6.5mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 2 - $9.5mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 3 - $12.5mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 4 - $16.5mil ($6mil guaranteed)

Re-Sign – Total cost 2018 cap hits - $17.75mil

RB Rex Burkhead – 4 years, $20mil. $12mil Guaranteed. Structured as follows
    Year 1 - $3.75mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 2 - $4.5mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 3 - $5.5mil ($3.75mil guaranteed)
    Year 4 - $6.25mil

WR Mathew Slater – 2 years, $6.5mil $5mil guaranteed
    Year 1 – $2.5mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 2 - $3.5mil ($2.5mil guaranteed)

WR Danny Amendola – 3 years, $10 mil. $7.5 Guaranteed. Structured as follows.
    Year 1 - $2.5mil (Fully guaranteed)
    Year 2 - $3.0mil (Fully guaranteed)
    Year 3 - $4.5mil ($2 guaranteed)

LT Nate Solder – 3 years, $37 mil. 16 Guaranteed. Structured as follows.
    Year 1 - $9mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 2 - $13mil (7 guaranteed)
    Year 3 - $15mil

Free Agents – Total cost 2018 cap hits - $20.0mil

TE Trey Burton –
    3 years, $20 mil. $15.5 Guaranteed. Structured as follows

Year 1 - $5.0mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 2 - $6.5mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 3 - $8.5mil ($4mil guaranteed)

DL DaQuan Jones –
    4 years, $14.5 mil. $7.5 Guaranteed. Structured as follows

Year 1 - $2.5mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 2 - $3.0mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 3 - $4.5mil ($2 mil guaranteed)
    Year 4 - $4.5mil

CB Aaron Colvin –
    3 years, $17mil. $12 guaranteed Structured as follows

Year 1 - $5.0mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 2 - $5.5mil (fully guaranteed)
    Year 3 - $6.5mil ($2mil guaranteed)

CB Richard Sherman –
    2 years, $25 mil. $7.5 guaranteed. Structured as follows

Year 1 - $7.5mil (fully guaranteed if he makes 53man w/ $5mil in NLBR incentives)
    Year 2 - $17.5mil

Draft
    *Not going to worry about specific trades here, but I left off a 4th and 6th round pick, Dorsett and Rowe to be used as ammunition to move around the draft and get these guys as targets*

Round 1 – LB Leighton Vander Esch – Boise – 6’4 – 250LBs
    Supremely athletic LB with good size. Appears lanky now but has the room to grow. Can step right in and play ILB in a 3-4 right now. Has the speed to cover and can be a side line to side line tackling machine. Excels against the run. I compare him to Jamie Collins. Still needs development as he hasn’t played long but can get by with just athletic ability. Once he gets his technique he will truly be a special player.

Round 2 - RB Kerryon Johnson – Auburn – 5’11 213LBs
    A big back who can move. Runs with great patience (think Bell) and can grind out yards up the middle. Also capable of breaking the big one. Was underutilized and never developed as a receiver. With White and Burkhead here we can be patient as he learns that aspect of the game.

Round 2 – OT Geron Christian - Louisville – 6’5 298LBs
    Athletic tackle who relies on finesse and not much power. Will fit into the Patriots passing scheme. Needs some work but can be a swing tackle right away. As the league speeds up tackles need to become more athletic and Christian certainly fits the bill. (This is where Solder struggles the most). With Solder back in toe we have a year or 2 to develop Christian who’s his heir apparent.

Round 3 - QB Kyle Lauletta – Richmond – 6’3 215LBs
    Seems to be the QB linked to the Patriots this year. Has the football pedigree BB loves and his father was a QB at Navy (BB will like that), high IQ, moves defenders with his eyes, described as a leader, Accurate thrower. Lacks arms strength, lack of athleticism, needs time to develop

Round 4 - K Daniel Carson – Auburn – 6’5 215LBs
    By far the best kicker in the draft. Huge leg, Accuracy needs some work as well as mechanics.
    I’m figuring at least 2 UDFA rookies make the final roster per usual with BB

2018 Roster

Offense
    QB (3) – Brady, Hoyer, Lauletta
    RB (5) – White, Burkhead, Johnson, Gillislee, Bolden
    FB (1) – Develin
    TE (3) – Gronk, Burton, Hollister
    WR (6) – Cooks, Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Amendola, Slater
    OT (4) – Solder, Cannon, Christian, Garcia
    OG (2) – Mason, Thuney
    OC (2) – Andrews, Ferentz

Total – (26)

Similar group to last years with a few changes/additions. Getting Edelman back will be a big boost to the offense. Mitchell being healthy should help depth wise at the WR position. Burton will add a different element to our offense we lacked last year adding back the "move TE". Johnson can hopefully emerge as our lead back, if not Burkhead showed enough last year that he can handle a large role. Keeping Solder for another year while Garcia and a rookie can develop will be huge to help hold that OL together and Cannon coming back healthy should make for an improved OL from last years version. All in all this should still be a top end offense as long as Brady continues his immortal run as the games best QB.

Defense
    NT (2) – Brown, Valentine
    DE/DT (3) – Guy, Jones, Butler
    Edge (4) – Flowers, Hightower, Wise, Rivers
    LB (5) –Van Noy, Vander Esch, Roberts, Langi, UDFA
    OCB (3) – Gilmore, Sherman, Jones
    SCB (2) – Colvin, Jones
    S (5) – McCourty, Chung, Harmon, King, UDFA

Total – (24)

Same core but if healthy this group should be better than last years down and up and down defense. Start with the interior DL we return Brown and Valentine should be back healthy as a backup run stopper on the inside. Guy had a productive season last year and Jones is another guy in the same mold that can add a consistent "dirty work" type player/presence up the middle and tying up blockers. Butler had a strong rookie campaign so hopefully he can continue to grow. On the edge we should have huge improvements if healthy. Hightower back is a huge addition. Wise should continue what was a very good rookie season, even showing some versatility with the ability to play inside. Flowers is very good and reliable. Anything we get from Rivers is icing on the cake. Van Noy is a capable LB and adding a supreme athlete like Vander Esch(who's in the mold of a Jamie Collins) should help in coverage, is solid against the run and can be a playmaker for this defense. Now to the secondary which still touts a very good and deep safety core. On the outside we bring in Sherman on an incentive laden deal to compliment Gilmore who came on very strong at the end of last season. I don't expect Sherman to be the elite guy he was...But even at 80% he'd still be very good. Colvin adds a very good slot CB to the rotation, something we lacked majorly last season. Jon Jones should come back and be a great ST presence and emerging CB talent. Hopefully Cy Jones can be healthy and compete for some snaps defensively but more importantly add a threat to our KR/PR teams.

ST
    K (1) - Carson
    P (1) - Allen
    LS (1) – Cardona

Total (3)

I'm done with Gostkowski - he's to unreliable in the big moment. He'd make $5mil this year. It's time to move on and get hid replacement. The rest are solid returns from last season.

After rookie signings we have about $10mil in cap space heading into the season.

City of Champions

I am in the Lauletta camp,I liked what he showed at the Senior Bowl a lot.My worry is that he doesn't make it very far into the third round.

Reiss has been pushing Vaccaro hard. I'm also a huge Honey Badger fan. How about this for an unconventional defense:

OCB: Gilmore/Rowe
    Slot: Honey Badger
    SS: McCourty
    FS: Harmon
    NT: Brown/Shelton rotate
    3T: Flowers/Guy rotate
    EDGE: Hightower/Van Noy (Wise the top backup and then sign a FA so Rivers isn't counted on)
    "LBs": Chung/Vaccaro

If we need to go big you can take Harmon off, move McCourty back to FS, push one of Chung/Vaccaro from LB to SS and play with a traditional LB instead.

That's very light in the front 7 but Chung/Vaccaro are both effective in the box. And by having so much coverage out there you could play with one deep FS in Harmon so use McCourty near the LOS more where he's effective in run support when he has to be.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Giants will release DRC will The Patriots have any interest ?

What do you guys think our biggest acquisition will be outside of the draft?

It literally has to be Danny Shelton @ 6'2 335 Lbs.
    Shelton and the Browns 5th this year for the Pats 2019 3rd looks like a steal...on paper anyway.

Loved him in his draft year.

Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post
    It literally has to be Danny Shelton @ 6'2 335 Lbs.
    Shelton and the Browns 5th this year for the Pats 2019 3rd looks like a steal...on paper anyway.

Loved him in his draft year.
    Me too. I was hoping to trade for him last offseason when he was said to be available. Didn't happen. A year later we give up practically nothing for him...I'll take it.

City of Champions

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast