Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Carlos Martinez sued for allegedly breaking the back of a man outside a strip club

Per CBS Sports:

Cardinals starting pitcher Carlos Martinez was allegedly part of a group that jumped a man outside an East St. Louis strip club in 2014, according to a lawsuit, per the Belleville News-Democrat (via CBS St. Louis).

The lawsuit says that the plaintiff was drinking at a bar in St. Louis on July 4, 2014 when he ended up in a verbal dispute with a group of men that included Martinez and since-deceased Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras. The plaintiff's filing says that he left the bar and went to an East St. Louis strip club thereafter (Penthouse Club, though it's now known as Diamond Cabaret).

According to the lawsuit, the plaintiff eventually walked out of the club to hit a food stand in the parking lot when he was jumped by the group. They allegedly took him to the ground and beat him. On Martinez specifically, he's alleged to have punched the plaintiff in the face and head.

The plaintiff, per the lawsuit, suffered a broken back and almost $100,000 in medical bills to date, with more surgical procedures on tap.

The lawsuit also accuses the strip club (owned by IRC L.P.) of negligence and liability, noting that the club didn't call police until a good portion of time had passed after the alleged attack.

As for why this is just being filed now, the lawyer of the plaintiff offers this up:

"While we would have preferred to avoid litigation," attorney John Eccher said (bnd.com), "the lack of acceptance of responsibility by culpable parties has required Tom Lech and myself to seek judicial intervention on behalf of Andy (D'Angelo, the plaintiff) to obtain justice."

You don't really read about a lot of positive things happening outside of strip clubs.

Last edited by Jeffy25; 02-02-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Pretty solid punch if he broke the dudes back. Id be scared if I was a NLC hitter

I kid of course. Well see what the investigation yields

Any chance this affects Martinez and his time on the field? Not sure what MLB's personal conduct policy is like, or if he has to disclose anything like this to the team (and he didn't.).

Also, my stepfather had an incident like this at his work where someone came back years later to claim liability when the guy's friend sued his work for faulty equipment when his buddy wrecked a golf cart. My stepfather's records claimed everything was serviced appropriately, the attorney's for the county government refused to settle and the two guys ended up suing each other. Seems like someone is trying to cash in on Martinez right now.

Should probably be suspended somewhere between 30-80 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Should probably be suspended somewhere between 30-80 games.
    Maybe, if there is any visual proof.

Meanwhile....in Cubs news today
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...102-story.html

And this was last week
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ma...ies-from-fall/

Martinez won't be missing any playing time. All of these are non-issues.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 02-03-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

And this was last week

So it's not news when a MLB All-Star caliber player is being sued for fighting someone and breaking their back, and doesn't deserve it's own thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

And this was last week

Wow. It's a thread worthy topic that's being covered by most media and lots of other forums. No need to get all defensive and try to attack your rivals because one of your players messed up.

It was 4 years ago. I don't think it should surprise anyone to see Taveras and Martinez involved in this back then. He's probably matured quite a bit since. I agree he won't miss any playing time. If this is legit a settlement is the most likely scenario.

could be a dude looking to get pay, could be a dude that actually got jumped by martinez and co, hard to say without any evidence. not a good look for martinez and the cards if the allegations are true

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    So it's not news when a MLB All-Star caliber player is being sued for fighting someone and breaking their back, and doesn't deserve it's own thread?
    I think what heís getting at is that itís a real huge surprise who started a thread about the Cardinals in a negative light.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    No, because he isnít going to miss any time and itís a civil matter, not a criminal matter.

Itís the equivalent of any other civil matters regarding players....I.e. they are nothing and donít affect the season at all.

If prosecutors decide to pursue him, then itís thread worthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you guys aware how often MLB players and organizations are involved in civil lawsuits? Carlos has been sued like 4 times already for things like STD transmission and not paying someone.

If it becomes a criminal matter, then it's worthy of a thread. Civil suits happen all the freaking time.

Btw, the Cardinals have known about this since the alleged incident happened. I even knew about it. It's not like it's some surprise that popped up out of nowhere.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast